Bittersweet "N"GD- JP12- BaliBurst

• Thread starter SomeGuy97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
You bought a floor model from GC and thought it wouldn't be ....ed up somehow? Okay... They are in it to sell product bud, You should have known better than to believe some girl over the phone that most likely knows nothing about guitar to tell you the details about it.

They aren't going to treat you the same way you would get at a mom and pop shop or specialty store. It's a guitar center. Walmart of music.

Be happy you got a rare JP12 with fixable blemishes and epic flame top. I'd shit myself just to have a regular JP7 in flat black! cheer up dudebro.

^ Yeah you should totally be okay with defects when you spend almost 3k on an instrument right? That's a sorry way to live, you've probably been screwed out of a proper product multiple times in your lifetime if this is your attitude.

It isn't a customer's "privilege" to buy product, it's the store's privilege to have the customer buy product from them. And the worker should value every single customer in the highest regard, because simply what reason should a customer buy from a location when the same product is the SAME price in various different locations? They messed up, and they MUST make it right simply because that is the right thing to do, don't kid yourself that he's "lucky" to own such a nice guitar.

Never buy a car or a guitar from a woman, period.

:noplease:

Duuuuuude... That's brutal. Super sorry to hear that. As much as I love your JP12-7, if you really want it back, we can figure something out. I'd rather you make use of it if this one doesn't work out for you.

That's incredibly awesome of you to offer! I hope it certainly gets worked out either way man, they'll make it right but don't settle until you think that what they're offering you is acceptable to you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Damn man... I really hope this all works out for you. It's still a nice looking guitar but the sales rep's description was way off.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Sucks that this didn't turn out like you hoped, man. Were it me, the dings/scratches would be actually be the least troubling part of the experience. Mostly because I am a clumsy .... that cannot gig without dinging a guitar.

Really, I would be upset about the blatantly wrong call on the top.

ghost2II2

Reaction score
Wow...just wow. I sorry to see this happen to you man, but I can't say it surprises me. The average musical IQ of your typical Guitar Center employee is about a 10 if I were a bettin' man. Not to mention, most of the smokes that work at our local one are so ....ing baked when they get off their dinner/lunch that if you called to order a Strat they would send you a Les Paul. And on a really good day, you might be lucky enough to have them send you a Tele. Hope you can get this straightened out.

nihilism

Reaction score
Ask to speak directly to a store manager and save yourself a lot of headache. They are usually willing to work with you. I'd go that route first and keep it...it's a beauty.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
Here's where it stands right now:

They offered $200 back or $250 back on my card (I don't understand that because I just used a regular credit card, not a GC one or anything) I said no way- and here's why "blah blah blah"

She said she was trying to get it up to $300, but again I said that wouldn't be good enough because the flame alone is $200-250.

They sent me no receipt/invoice- which I need for my tax purposes anyway. And they've already checked and confirmed- this is the last BaliBurst 7 string. In fact I haven't even seen another FLAME bali-burst so they're calling Music Man tomorrow to find out if it was incorrectly labeled/priced. She said the manager is going to call me directly tomorrow and they'll do whatever it takes to make me happy and get this taken care of. They'll be in touch with Music Man and I with them. So we'll see what comes of it. I don't want to send it back because the whole reason I got it again, is because of the color. I can always get a Cherry Sugar JP12, but this was a one time/last chance deal. Though not a deal. I know you can get a JP12-7 for $2590. And This ended up (after all their 'deals') still being $2970. So about $400 difference for the quilt/color which I wanted bad enough, so I guess was worth it- but at the same time I expected to get that then, and in the condition they claimed. They charged me $85 for the case which I KNOW anytime you get one from a dealer, they never charge for that. Didn't matter, I was at their mercy.

Will keep the thread updated as I find more out.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
You bought a floor model from GC and thought it wouldn't be ....ed up somehow? Okay... They are in it to sell product bud, You should have known better than to believe some girl over the phone that most likely knows nothing about guitar to tell you the details about it.

Why oh why is there always one of "you" out there? :noplease: If he was told it was quilt it should be quilt end of story, the sales rep should at the very least be trained to know what the fuck they are selling. 2) He asked if it was in any way damaged or manhandled and they said absolutely not. Anyone with eyes can tell that by simply looking at it, which they apparently didn't do.

They aren't going to treat you the same way you would get at a mom and pop shop or specialty store. It's a guitar center. Walmart of music.

Sorry, but that's absolute horseshit. I've been treated far far worse at mom and pop stores in the past than I have in monster corporate stores... why? Because mom and pop stores are privately owned and generally grumpy assholes that have no problem whatsoever to tell a customer they can essentially go fuck themselves. Corporate monsters mean nearly every employee has a boss up above them and can easily get fired for pissing off customers. Corporate stores know there are thousands of others looking for a job that would love to work for their big name store and usually couldn't give a shit about the average worker.

Be happy you got a rare JP12 with fixable blemishes and epic flame top. I'd shit myself just to have a regular JP7 in flat black! cheer up dudebro.

It's his money that he earned. He dropped his cash for an instrument that he was told would be up to his expectations and didn't receive such, he has every right to be upset. If you can't afford a JP12 it's not your place to tell him what he should appreciate, concern yourself with your own monetary issues. :nono:

Rev.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Wow, .... them for trying to take you for a ride. I get that not everyone is a forum lurker but if you work in a guitar store, especially one with really high end guitars, you better know the ....in' difference between quilted maple and flamed maple.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Just to clear things up, in regards to the figuring of the maple top, these guitars came with BOTH flame and quilt tops. The quilt, as you mentioned, came with an upcharge.

As for the upcharges...sounds like they just told you a bunch of stories to get you to pay full price. The flame topped model was $2780 if I remember correctly? I have 7.1% sales tax...that would bring the guitar to $2977...definitely in the ballpark you paid. Charging you for the case is what GC does to inventory them...but that value comes out of the guitar's individual price, and they HAVE to be purchased together. At the end of the day, you pay regular price, as you should for guitar and case.

There is a reason Guitar Center is tanking...they do not take their serious customs seriously....at all :noway:

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Ernie Ball Music-Man does not ship out any guitars with any dings or flaws, if there is a flaw in the beginning of production, they saw the guitars into pieces.

GuitarCenter is obviosuly at fault here, dearly sorry to see this.
Not the first time I have, if I may add.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Way too much of a headache for me, personally. I'd be asking for a refund and looking elsewhere. Sounds like the easier solution. This would create far too much negative emotional connection to the guitar for me. I've backed out of deals out of sheer principle for stuff that pisses me off or gives me negative vibes haha.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, whenever I see an NGD-gone-bad kind of thread, it's yours :( I hope you have better luck next time! For what it's worth... that guitar is freaking stunning. I hope they make it right to you! Good luck!

BaDaML

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I am with the others saying to send it back for a full refund, unless you get a KILLER deal. Getting a refund to basically bring it in line with the price it should have been with the damage doesn't do anything for the bad experience. Inaccurate description, price changes, and not checking condition when you specifically asked?

I would have it boxed up and on the way already. The point made about the negative vibe associated with the instrument is something to strongly consider.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
You bought a floor model from GC and thought it wouldn't be ....ed up somehow? Okay... They are in it to sell product bud,

Yeah, exactly, that's why he inquired about the product; to make sure of its condition, and they lied to him. He ain't liable for having been told a lie, now, is he?

You should have known better than to believe some girl over the phone that most likely knows nothing about guitar to tell you the details about it.

I think a customer can expect an employee to be AT LEAST competent enough to tell you if a product has been handled by other customers before, no?

Caveat emptor, of course, as a buyer should be informed about a possible purchase, but, to a bigger extent, it's caveat venditor. Don't make a deal unless your product is fit for said deal.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Waiting to hear back from them today. To their credit they are trying to make this better and the girl genuinely seems bummed/disappointed and is working to help me out.

Sounds like this could have a happy ending - I hope so. Good luck with this man, she sure is a beauty and hope you are able to keep it on your terms. :yesway:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
If I was in your position I'd get a refund on the general principal that you didn't get the product you paid for. Last week something very similar happened to me where I didn't get the product that I picked out, instead I got an alternative that wasn't close to the quality of the one I was meant to get. In the end all the expenses for return shipping and replacement are being covered by the seller now.

The Baliburst looks a lot better on quilt tops but thats still and awesome looking guitar. Another option would be a refund for the quilt top upcharge, case and paint repairs. What they've done is against your consumer rights so you've a lot of ground to stand on.

Latest posts

')