Bittersweet "N"GD- JP12- BaliBurst

• Thread starter SomeGuy97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
It looks like a nice flame top, but it really contains quilted Higgs boson particles I've been told...

What to say, this sucks man, I hope it gets sorted out really quick and that GC can show you they can do better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skygoneblue

Frankensteeeeein!
Reaction score
That's really unfortunate. I've dealt with GC dozens of times, and even when I ended up returning items, every employee I ever dealt with was professional, courteous, and abided by the corporate policy.

There's absolutely no reason that they should be haggling you about in-store credit or giving you anything less than a full refund if you're not happy with what you purchased.

If push comes to shove, you can also do a chargeback on your card, assuming you didn't pay cash. Visa and Mastercard will always step in to fight for you and get your money back from GC if they won't make things right.

protest

Reaction score
Honestly I would send GC's customer service an email saying what happened, showing pictures, and saying what the store has done to try to help you so far. They should be able to at least speed up the process and likely offer you a full refund, but I've never dealt with their separate customer service, just the sales reps at stores.

Did you give the store your email address? If so check for a receipt in there.

EDIT: Actually, wait a second. They have damn 30 day return policy, so if you said you wanted to return it they have to take it.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
Just a heads up, Musician's Friend is selling Bali JP12s now. Shipping in December apparently.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
Just a heads up, Musician's Friend is selling Bali JP12s now. Shipping in December apparently.

This is very interesting. Do you have a link or something to confirm this?

It's 1:30 and I still haven't heard anything. Hardly the 'right away in the morning' I expected. I'm just going to call them in a few. I have some other things to attend to at the moment.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Complete utter crap. It'd go back the second I opened the case and saw that it wasn't what I ordered. The flaws would be secondary to the lack of quilt, and I'd expect a huge discount if it WAS a quilt and had those flaws. I think it's ridiculous that GC thinks they can charge full price/$3,000 for a guitar that looks like it was handled for days by a 3 year old. If I'm walking into a GC and dropping $3k on a guitar, it had damn well better be perfect.

Sorry for your lame NGD, man. That blows.

I would definitely hit up corporate like the GC employee on the first page said......there is no way these things are going to get fixed if people just ignore the problem. If the chick gets fired because she works in a guitar store, sells guitars, and doesn't know the difference between a quilt and a flame top, that's exactly what SHOULD happen. Tough shit; do your ....in job and learn what the .... you're selling to people over the phone, ESPECIALLY when they ask.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Music Man JP12 7-String Quilt Maple Top Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Return it and preorder that. I say let Guitar Center eat shit on this one, they were extremely underhanded and fraudulent.

Do that and they'll give you an excellent deal like they gave me on my JPXI-7, just make sure to call and ask them about it. They'll also call you from the Private Reserve and ask for your setup preference/string gauge/tuning and set it up for you once more before it even leaves. Great Customer Service from MF.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Agreed on the customer service, Musician's Friend has always been great in my experience. Guitar Center has been very similar to your own (OP) with the deception and bullshit. I've never had it on that level save for their moron tech denting my PRS :noplease:

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
Music Man JP12 7-String Quilt Maple Top Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Return it and preorder that. I say let Guitar Center eat shit on this one, they were extremely underhanded and fraudulent.

Hahahaha, oh dude. Thank you SO much for this. Just gave me all the bargaining power in the world.
I spoke with the Asst. mgr- he said he WAS aware of the scratches and stuff and she should've told me about that.
I told him about MF getting ready to carry these and how I would now be taking an even bigger loss on it since it's no longer going to be 'rare'...and he's going to get with the manager and they know they're going to have to bring a big number to the table or I'm sending it back. Honestly now that MF is going to carry these I don't even want this bastard-child of a guitar, but at the same time it is the only 7 string I have for the next two weeks and we're getting ready for tour prep (tour in October) and I can't really be without a 7 for another two weeks.
They asked if I had a $ amount in mind I'd like refunded and I said yes, but I'm going to wait to see what you offer first and we'll go from there.
I've figured this is "fair"- if anyone thinks it's too low/too high/out of line, let me know:

$250 for the quilt
$100 for the ding on the front
$100 for the chip on the back
$100 for the pick scrapes/scratches
$50 for the fret board
and $50 for my trouble and being lied to.

If they can't handle that, I'm going to call Music Man and confirm the Bali Bursts for December through MF and I'll send it back for a full refund.

SKoG

Reaction score
Just FYI, Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend. Personally, I've never had a problem with MF or GC, but you're still giving money to the same group if it comes down to a 'principles decision.'

However, I'm sure the store will still want the sale from you and it's worth negotiating.

Tyler

Reaction score
Its so quilted its flamed! More like a flamed customer.. Its absolutely awful when this kind of thing happens whether from their stupidity or lying to make a sale

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Man if I were you I'd just return it for the quilt. The quilt is beautiful and Guitar Center blatantly lied and tried to scam you. I'd take the money, get a beautiful guitar and support a legitimate business.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Man if I were you I'd just return it for the quilt. The quilt is beautiful and Guitar Center blatantly lied and tried to scam you. I'd take the money, get a beautiful guitar and support a legitimate business.

They are owned by the same company. I'd be like saying "I hate Fender so I'll buy a Jackson."

I personally think your estimate is fair. However, I'd opt to just get the one from Musician Friend. Why go through the trouble when you can just get the real deal.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I would send it back no matter what and this is coming from a guy who never sends things back. First, they over charged you. Anniversary models do not have any options available unless you are an endorsee. Every 7 string Anniversary model is $2,590. Second, the condition is not that of a new guitar by any stretch of the imagination. While it does have a nice flamed top, its not a quilted top which as you mentioned costs $200 more on the BFR model. And third, unless you really love the guitar now, wouldn't be better to have $3000 to put towards a new guitar you want rather than keeping a "used" guitar you aren't particularly happy with?

I'm sure its a great guitar but thats not really the point. You didn't receive the guitar you thought you were buying. if this were a cup of coffee I would say don't worry about it but its a $3000 guitar...worry about it, then have some coffee...:coffee:

Stangstag

Reaction score
OP really doesn't want to solve this problem. Any of us would have returned the guitar by now, yet OP is still farting around trying to get 500$ off? .... that. Get the new quilt top!!! I think the truth is that OP is attached to this guitar and wants to keep it.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
lol, they just made a pretty insulting refund offer- no different than before. Barely enough to even cover the cost of the difference between the flame and the quilt. They tried to justify it by saying they gave me these discounts already like "free shipping" and "dropping the price from 2970 to 2900" And I thought they said no tax...but I definitely paid tax. I reminded them I could just wait and buy it from MF- and I wouldn't have to: A) Pay for a Case B) Pay tax C) Pay for shipping D) Would have a brand new guitar. So the fact that they "discounted" that stuff for me really means nothing because ALL dealers do that.

The asst. mgr thought my explanation and expected refund was reasonable, the manager apparently didn't and I'm awaiting a call back from him now. When they made the initial offer I told them to just go ahead and send me a return label. They seemed a little thrown off for some reason. They suggested I drop it off at the nearest GC (which is actually more convenient) but I have no receipt! They didn't even include the receipt in the box like I mentioned earlier. I made some comment about how they really took care of me on this one. I was just done trying to be nice and work with them at that point. So now they have to go dig it up and email it to me.

I told them they're going to have a hell of a time selling this guitar and ultimately they're going to have to knock it down a lot more than what they were offering me and they're going to have to sit on it for awhile. So that's why we're waiting on the manager...again. That's where it is now. I'm going to post this on the Music Man forum and hopefully it catches the attention of AJ and Sterling Ball.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
OP really doesn't want to solve this problem. Any of us would have returned the guitar by now, yet OP is still farting around trying to get 500$ off? .... that. Get the new quilt top!!! I think the truth is that OP is attached to this guitar and wants to keep it.

False- I called Musicians Friend and it's not guaranteed that they will even get those guitars. There have to be enough orders for them and THEN they will order them from Music Man. If there's not enough pre-orders, they're not going to do it at all. So it's not a safe bet.

Plus GC asst.mgr told me that MF won't be getting quilts....they will all be FLAMED Bali Bursts. It's a mistake on the site.

Stangstag

Reaction score
False- I called Musicians Friend and it's not guaranteed that they will even get those guitars. There have to be enough orders for them and THEN they will order them from Music Man. If there's not enough pre-orders, they're not going to do it at all. So it's not a safe bet.

Plus GC asst.mgr told me that MF won't be getting quilts....they will all be FLAMED Bali Bursts. It's a mistake on the site.

I see. Sorry to be harsh, its just that if I was being jerked around like you I would just return the guitar and be done with them. I guess if MF says they are only selling the Flamed top version, you could be better off trying to getting a discount on the one you have now. That is, if you can live with the dings and scratches. Just for me personally, I would rather spend a bit more to have one in mint condition.

Reaction score

Despite GC and MF being owned by the same company... you're really gonna take their word again on a description of a guitar?

I would call up MF again and ask if their flamed or quilt just to confirm.

At this point, you should only be taking GC's word at face value.

')