Bittersweet "N"GD- JP12- BaliBurst

• Thread starter SomeGuy97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Also bear in mind they're OWNED by the same company. They are not the same company, they just answer to the same main boss. In my experience, MF runs a legitimate business and has good customer service. Guitar Center could very well be lying to you about that being a mistake online - they already have several times, no? I really recommend getting the refund, these are expensive guitars and the level of service you have received despite a large purchase is revolting and confirms why GC is going under. MF likely will have quilts and GC is just trying to keep your money. Do the smart thing and return it, burn that bridge and dont look back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SKoG

Reaction score
Don't mean to take this any further as it's getting semi-off topic so I'll leave it here, but they are basically the same company now and operate out of the GC headquarters.

After GC went public on the stock market GC bought MF and a few other retailers in the late 90s - early '00s and GC owned them wholly. Then Bain Capital came in and bought the whole GC empire in '08. In 2011 they were consolidated further and the MF headquarters was shut down and 200+ MF employees were laid off or relocated to the GC headquarters.

Losing a Friend - Musicians Friend moves HQ

Zerox8610

Reaction score
Personally wouldn't trust the GC rep to know anything about the MF side of business.

I really hope this gets sorted out for you though. Sorry I didn't post a link to the MF listing earlier, but I was stuck at work.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Sweetwater is now an EBMM dealer too. Maybe you can work that into your "discussions" with the GC manager. :yesway:

Stangstag

Reaction score
Don't let them screw you over man. YOU are the customer, it is YOUR money. YOU have all the power in the negotiation.

jeleopard

Reaction score
I'd get a full refund and if they didn't comply (which they should), I'd just casually drop the phrase "Bureau of Better Business" somewhere in the conversation, and that would probably get them to see your way.

It's pretty magical.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
It's a nice looking guitar for sure. In all honesty, if it weren't for the shitty attitude and lying, I'd have probably kept it. (though that chip on the back of the stock might have me second guessing that.) Seriously, this is shitty of them. At this point, I'd cut my losses and say .... it. Unless they offer an insanely good price, I figure they can just go choke on a dick. Even if they did offer a great price, I'd let them know I was unhappy with them and would be going elsewhere in the future. GC and MF are indeed owned by the same company, but they compete for business separately. MF has always been a lot nicer to me, and they never charge the tax that GC does.

All the same, I hope it gets straightened out for you one way or another.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I'd get a full refund and if they didn't comply (which they should), I'd just casually drop the phrase "Bureau of Better Business" somewhere in the conversation, and that would probably get them to see your way.

It's pretty magical.

Actually, that'd be like dropping "lawyer" in a conversation with an employer. Realistically, you'll get what they consider a fair offer and then they'll stop negotiating. People don't like threats...especially one that isn't all that threatening to a large company.

FallOfHumanity

Reaction score

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
I just spoke with AJ at Music Man. He's going to call their GC rep but he said he knows nothing about these BaliBurst quilts in December. He said they don't have anything on the radar for that. He didn't flat out say there's no way it was happening, but the fact that he had no idea whatsoever about it makes me think it's not happening at all.

Waiting for a call back from him, then I'm going to call GC again...then hopefully this will get squared away once and for all.

Overtone

Reaction score
Working today so no time to read all the responses but I'm pretty sad to hear about this story.

My first thought was return it locally. .... Sugarland GC... you can just walk in to the Chicago store and return it. It doesn't help that you don't have the receipt. What about an email receipt or something? I think that as long as you have the transaction id somewhere they can look it up on the computers at the local shop.

Second thought - I really hope they don't try to use the terms about clearance items and restocking fees.

Third, when I bought my JPX early in the month they had the case listed separately on the receipt. So the reciept said GUitar: $x, case: $y. But the price on the tag was X+Y. I asked about it and they said that's just how it works in the system but I'm not paying "extra" for the case. So there may be a misunderstanding there... just wanted to throw that out there so you guys don't have to fight about it.

P.S. mine also had oxidized to .... strings and a terrible setup (truss rod way off and the bridge height almost all the way down). i did get the impression it just sat in the box for years and finally got hung up on the shelf, cuz it was clean and there is no sign of playing wear on it whatsover.

P.P.S. I don't think your price expectation is off at all considering the chips but they'll never do it.

ihunda

Reaction score

nicktao

Reaction score
That really sucks man, I'm glad my jp got here safe.

I'm pretty sure you don't need a receipt, they'll rma the order if you called it in. If you didn't then just pack it up and take it to the closest gc and demand a refund. If they dont and you paid with amex file a report and continue calling keeping record of all conversions.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
GC made a slightly better offer, not as much I wanted, but I'm kind of sitting on it right now. There will not be any more Bali Bursts made, confirmed by AJ at Music Man- so I wouldn't be able to get one in the future. They have no plans of making those for December or anytime soon.
The biggest thing keeping me from returning it it, is then I would have to turn around and buy a new JP12...and there was about a $400 difference between the one I sold and a new one...so it's like it'd cost me $400 to have not had a guitar for two weeks and end up with the same thing. Literally $400 for NOTHING. Ugh.

BaDaML

Reaction score
Here is the big question: If you keep it, even with a good refund, are you going to be happy with it? I suspect, like most of us, even if a good refund is made, you will still be looking for another one with the top you wanted and in better condition. That being the case, I would just return it.

FallOfHumanity

Reaction score
Hey man, as mentioned earlier in this thread: if you want, I can send your JP12-7 back to you. It's still in the same condition and everything.

I'd hate to miss out on this thing, but you will put it to better use than I will, so if you just issue a full refund through paypal, I will send her back.

')