Bittersweet "N"GD- JP12- BaliBurst

• Thread starter SomeGuy97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
People at guitar center are never honest. They WILL screw you over. Period. That's just what they do. I will never buy a guitar from them again. I learned my lesson the same way.

Here's a PRS I bought that was in "amazing condition" even after I specifically asked about dings, dents, scratches, etc. The color was also peculiarly called "purple mist." You'll see why:

Cloudy PRS Finish - Imgur

Had 20-30 flaws in the finish, and many of them were chips that went straight to wood. The pickups were rusty, the bridge was tarnished to hell, and the frets had green oxidization. Not to mention that the entire finish was blushing over. That guitar must have endured a hurricane, I swear. Returned it and got a refund at my local Guitar Center, because they weren't willing to work with me any other way. It's still there after 6 months. Good riddance.

And about the Emerald Green JP, welcome to the club! Mine will be here on Friday.

Yeah GC used is hit or miss (this one was supposed to be "new" so I guess it's a little different) and depends entirely who you deal with. Prime example:

Just bought my PRS DGT Artist Package Orange Fade from GC Used a few months back. Called up the store and spoke with the assistant manager and asked a TON of detailed questions, asked for quality, close-up shots of specific items and it all looked wonderful. Guy shipped it to me, guitar was IMMACULATE but it came in the wrong case (regular black fur case, not the sweet fabric + crushed blue faux velvet interior Artist Package case the AP's are supposed to come with) and of course it was partially my fault, he told me it came with the "original PRS case" but I didn't think to verify that HE knew what that actually was in this case. :lol: However, after a 2 week back-and-forth with the gent and the senior manager (they were trying to get a hold of the seller who was a collector, and might have "accidentally" swapped cases because they know he has dozens of PRS, turns out he knew exactly what he was doing and said they accepted it with that case so it was on them... :flame:) they said it was ultimately their fault and they ordered me a brand new Artist Package case and allowed me to keep that other stock USA PRS case anyway because it didn't make sense to ship it back to them at that point! Ended up with a mint PRS AP that sounds INCREDIBLE for a huge discount, a brand new Artist Package case AND an extra USA case because the guys at that GC were cool about helping make things right since they screwed up and owned up to it. :yesway: That's customer service, and while I'll freely admit not all GC's are the best with that type of scenario, if you walk away happy you're more likely to return to their store and in this case I ALWAYS watch their used inventory as they get a lot of nice stuff and I know if they botch something again, they're not going to leave me hanging like some stores would. :shrug:

I had the total opposite happen recently where I picked up a used Mushok and the guy told me it looked brand new but when I received it the back was all scratched and marked up with dents, scratches in a few spots on the fretboard and they had swapped the nut (and done a so-so job, nut wasn't even the same depth as the stock one and it was set up for spaghetti strings! :lol:). In that case I had to return it to GC and the local store sucks and made me pay for the shipping still even though it wasn't my mistake. I hate the local store and don't ever go there unless it's for a correction or return to avoid having to pay the shipping TWICE to get it back to them since a lot of GC's don't cover return shipping if the manager wants to be a dick. :noway:

So bottom line, some stores will take care of you if you're patient and don't flip your shit. :2c: If you call them up and just start arguing and screaming at them, your outcome might be VERY different than mine, but as that old saying goes... you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. ;) While it sucks that it sounds like this store was rather shitty, if the tone was the same as it was in this thread, you're not going to have nearly as much luck with them as you would addressing things calmly. :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

')