BKP advice

• Thread starter Soulthief
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
I have my RGD2127 for a few months now and well... suprise, I wanna change the bridge pickup... I actually like the stock neck pickup on my RGD.

Now I was thinking of an Aftermath but when i listen to the sample on the website of BKP there is this big, heavy djenty sound and I do not play that kind of music.

I play more stuff like Iced Earth, Blind Guardian blablabla and is i'm very brave I'll take a shot at Nevermore.

So what whould be my best choice? I really want to have the definition when i'm playing fast riffs on the 7th string.

Also, what is the diffrence between a open and covered pickup (besides that the one is open and the other covered) and is there anywhere i can see those colors/aged looks? sure want to have a cool looking pickup in my RGD!

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
The Aftermath isn't really set into that "djenty" sound, per se. Playing thrashy stuff on mine sounds great!!!! It really is an amazing pickup.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
As Ben says, the Aftermath is certainly capable of non-djenty tones too. However, from the contemporary range the Miracle Man would probably be my recommendation to you, it's more lower-mid focussed with a very tight low end - incredibly satisfying to chug away on.

For the true Iced Earth/Schaffer tone you need to use a bright low output pickup (and track 8 takes per side when recording). The Riff Raff would work well for this, and it deals with high gain stuff fantastically well because of the bright and open voicing, and naturally tighter low end the weaker wind produces (simply down to less bass extension).

Arguably covers darken the top end a touch (and it really is a subtle difference!), but the BKP crew compensate for this when they're winding covered pickups.

This is a good resource for the cover options, though you'll have to sign up to the forum to see the pictures: Gallery
Also, if you go through their online shop and select a covered pickup, before paying you'll get to a page with thumbnails of each cover type.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
Well.. i'm not looking for that iced earth tone.. if i want that people are gonna say "hey, he sounds just like iced earth!" and i just wanna sound like... me... :)
besides that... i have better things to do than tracking 8 tracks per side....

However, a good chug is always welcome! but if i just look at the frequency chart (or whatever you wanna call it) I see that the aftermath has less low end so my guess is that it will have more definition when playing low riffs?

Also somehow i get a feeling that, aftermath or miracle man, It's hard to choose wrong between those pickups

mountainjam

Reaction score
I think the aftermath is capable of a lot more than djent, its really all in the settings. Realize the bkp soundclip was done on an axe fx and intentionally set up to sound djenty.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
Settings sure do a lot... I believe that the aftermath or miracle man both are great and when i have one of those it sure will sound good. That's why i am very focused on definition in this case

Also if i listen to the "modren metal" sound clips, the only diffrence i hear is in the solo stuff... the rythm parts sounds en stays the same...

-Nolly-

Reaction score
You're right - you can't really go wrong with either the Aftermath or the Miracle Man. The Aftermath is leaner on the low end and has a punchier upper midrange, while the Miracle Man is chunkier and smoother. Your choice!

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
is there anywhere i can see those colors/aged looks? sure want to have a cool looking pickup in my RGD!

From the BKP Home Page > 'Buy Online' (from the list on the left side of the page) > '7 String Humbuckers.' From there select which pickup you like to see (ex. Aftermath Humbucker) then select the item to view the different colors.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
Briljant! thanks!

I'll be searching for some samples of the aftermath and miracle man to decide wich of the two i'll pick. Thanks for the advice all!

buffa d

Reaction score
Never tried a Miracle man in basswood, but I loved the cold sweat set I had in my rg7620. Clearest pickups I've ever heard.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
New question, I thought just to bump this thread instead of making a new one.

Since a few weeks I started to use my old BC Rich Beast.. It comes from 2003 back then they had every month an other body art on a model... blablabla who cares :)

I tuned the thing down to a drop C with .11 strings and came to the conclusion that.. it sounded like .... pups are more muddy that ibby stock pups.
So what the hell I'll put some BKP in it!
In this case i'm thinking of a miracle man or a cold sweat set.

So, any idea's on this??

For anyone who cares: I have a Aftermath in the bridge of my RGD2127 and the stock pickup in the neck. (seriouly, clean with both pups on = sparkle!)

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
i have miracle mans in my basswood RG7620 and they fuckin rule... they are really tight yet still aggressive...

but another note, my aftermaths in my mahogany RG7620 sound amazing as well... and i never play djent, i play more technical death metal than anything else and these work incredibly well for it... and at the same time, w/low gain settings, i can get some great jazz and classical tones... great pickup, certainly not for "djent only"

Animus

Reaction score
i have miracle mans in my basswood RG7620 and they fuckin rule... they are really tight yet still aggressive...

but another note, my aftermaths in my mahogany RG7620 sound amazing as well... and i never play djent, i play more technical death metal than anything else and these work incredibly well for it... and at the same time, w/low gain settings, i can get some great jazz and classical tones... great pickup, certainly not for "djent only"

Pickups are just one factor of the djent sound from what I can tell (I don't do djent). It mostly seems to be playing technique, a long with amp settings etc.

')