Bkp black hawk bridge, neck option

glimmie

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post after being an unregistered lurker for some time and I need your help finding a neck pickup that suits me.

After a lot of searching the web I decided to swap my EMG81/85 for a BKP Ceramic Black Hawk bridge and a Holy Diver neck. Have them installed for a week now and love the CBH, but the HD seems way too bass flabby and lacks real emphasis when the amp setting are set for the CBH, if you know what I mean. They don't seem to be complimenting each other.

I love to combine vintage with modern, but this isn't really working out for me. Maybe I just have to experiment a little with the pickup height, but in case that doesn't do it, I really need some help with picking another pickup.

My guitar is an ESP EX-400BD (explorer), 6string, tuned B standard, 09-52. Marshall JMP-1, Mesa 2:90 And the style I play is modern metal, I like Killswitch, Devildriver, Fear Factory, Machine Head, In flames.

I've glanced at the Black Dog, Emerald, Cold Sweat, Abraxas, of which I liked the Emerald best, only it has 9.6 Ohm according to the BKP site and my CBH bridge only has 8.6 Ohm, don't know if that's a problem.

I'm getting kind of lost and hoping someone here could give me (any) advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
If the Holy Diver has four conductors, try it wired parallel first.

I like most neck humbuckers wired in parallel instead of series.
A bit less output. Brighter. Cleaner.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
They are some very light strings for B tuning an are definitely contributing a lot to the flabby neck pickup tone. The BH is a very hot pickup so I wouldn't recommend the Emerald or Black Dog neck pickups. The DC resistance may be low on paper for the BH but it is very hot and loud. I'd recommend the regular BH neck pickup. It compliments the bridge perfectly.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
Black hawk neck is the best pickup i've ever used. ever. Its flipping awesome.

glimmie

Reaction score
Lorcan lord, im using a set of elixir light/heavy, which do the trick perfectly. Already tried a lot, even boomers .70 but this set works for me on this guitar. Got no oscilation going on.

The guitar was already very tight with the emgs, but the bh bridge is very different, a completely different sound, i dont think i can compare it with anything i ever heard.

glimmie

Reaction score
Considering the DC resistance on the bridge BH that is kinda "off", what are possible candidates for a neck pickup?

Tim of BKP replied to me that the HD neck is hot enough for the CBH bridge.

')