BKP Ceramic Nailbomb Question!

• Thread starter Dakotaspex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dakotaspex

The Uniballer
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'll keep this brief, as I don't want this to turn into another pickup suggestion thread. I already bought the pickups, so I'll do my best to make them work in whatever I decide to get (or keep).

The question is:

If you have owned a ceramic Nailbomb from BKP, did you like it in mahogany? What about basswood? Only reason I'm asking is because I have an opportunity to sell my guitar and upgrade, but I got the C-Bomb before the offer came up for my basswood guitar. I run through a PRS Archon (boosted with Maxon OD808) and Avatar 4x12 with 2 K-100's and 2 V30's in x position. I play progressive metal on 7 strings in drop A/B standard, and I like BIG sounding mid gain tones with lots of bite, clarity, and punch (not djent tone though). Think of my ideal tone as a tighter Mesa distortion, which is why I got the Archon. When I plugged in, it seemed to be a Mark V mixed with a Dual Rec, at least to my ears.

Before I de-rail this thread about my new gear, do you guys thing the C-bomb is a better match for basswood or mahogany for my style?

Btw, current guitar is Ibanez RGD2127z, guitar I could get would be Ibanez S5527. Opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ev_o

Reaction score
I think it'll preform equally as well in either guitar, if not excell. Nick at the axe palace recommends it a lot for basswood and mahogany for the styles you mention. I had a cbomb in an rg1527m and i was in love with it.

vprietob

Reaction score
I prefer ceramic pickups in mahogany body but Ibanez S has a really thin body:scratch:. I think you'll get simillar results with both, Nailbomb is a great sounding pup, you can be sure that you will get good results with both.

Underworld

Reaction score
The C-bomb slays in basswood. One of the only 2 pickups I love from BKP (the other being the blackhawk)

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Ibanez tends to choose lighter weight mahogany for the s series bodies...and they are generally light weight anyway because of how thin they are. So, I don't think you will see much of a difference in tone. Go with the guitar you prefer.

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
Didn't like the cbomb in the basswood Ibanez RG that I had but maybe it will be ok in the S series. The S series is Mahogany I thought. Loved the ceramic nbomb in mahogany.

cult

Reaction score
I can only speak for the pickup in a alder body scenario with a neck through maple neck.
Sounds amazing, really full and still snarling if you want it to.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it. It's gonna sound great.

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
I have a C-Bomb in a non-chambered LP. Its sounds full but has a lot of bite. The highs are a bit bright but not piercing. It sounds good.

Ovoono

Reaction score
I have Nailbomb set in my PRS MM Baritone (ceramic bridge). I run it through a Peavey 6505 2x12 combo (USA made one) with Maxon OD808 in front. I love the neck pickup which is alnico, but the ceramic bridge is sterile and harsh, it's very tight and clear tho, but through my amp it just added a lot of fizz which I honestly hate. I liked the stock PRS bridge pickup a lot more. My recommendation is to go with alnico version for the bridge if you want a rich and full tone. I would have returned the pickups if the tax and customs weren't so freakin high in my country.

Just my 2 cents.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
For their price BKPs should sound great anywhere! Even used they go for way more tan your average seymours and dimarzio :agreed:

witeter

Reaction score
I had mine in a Mahogany bodied PRS SE Custom 24-sounded great!

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I have a C-Bomb in a Basswood JEM 77FP. It shreds beautifully. It's got green bobbins, and the neck is a Painkiller in Pink. Honestly, one of the best combos in all of metal guitars. It nails great tones for death metal/modern/progressive metal/virtuoso "Vai-like" stuff. One of BKPs best. And yes, it does great in Mahogany. It's not a super bright BKP, but not very dark either, not compared to the AV Nailbomb.

Latest posts