BKP choices....

• Thread starter Cobhc221
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
hello everyone. im really considering gutting out my esp v401 for some BKP's.

looking for a really high output pickup on the lines of similar sound like a Duncan Distortion.

i play melodic death metal so i like to have alot of articulate definition in the leads and bone crushing lows for the chugs.

anything would help thanks! :squint:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
call me crazy but i tried it and didnt like it...however, it was in a crappy Epiphone les paul guitar which might be why.

witeter

Reaction score
Ceramic Blackhawk -fits your description like a glove

HeXeL

Reaction score
Ceramic Blackhawk -fits your description like a glove

Pretty much this. Although they don't look as pretty as other more traditional choices the tone is superb.

I have them in ESP Horizon NT-II tuned C standard.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
I personally would've recommended the Aftermath about a week ago (and still do, it's a great death metal pickup, best I've played) but after skeptically putting a Juggernaut in my Ibanez JS1200, I'm shocked at the versatility it has. Very receptive to EQing, very warm when needed and somewhere between a Blackhawk and an Aftermath in terms of tightness. The definition and clarity is the best of any BKP I've tried, and leads sounds extremely good for a bridge (I swear by neck pickups for my leads). The only issue I'd forsee is the output matter. Very generally speaking, I've found that more output usually leads to reduced clarity.

The Warpig is a god damn sledgehammer for output, so if you want total destruction, that's your friend. If you want more clarity, great output (not as much as the warpig though), and warmth with tightness, I swear by the Ceramic Blackhawk. That being said, it's not the best for death metal since it has a warm, balanced character. Its also not as tight as you may want. It's my personal favourite BKP, but I tend to play more progressive metal. The Aftermath is your no bullshit death metal pickup. It's not even remotely as warm as the Blackhawk (which is why I prefer the Hawk), but I'll be damned if it's not the clearest, tightest pickup on the market. The Painkiller is apparently quite similar, but I've heard it can sound harsh in guitars that aren't naturally warmer sounding. Stay away from the Holy Divers, they'll be too warm for death metal. And I already addressed the Juggernaut, and I think it's a great compromise between a Blackhawk and an Aftermath. It's very versatile and articulate, but you might prefer the Aftermath for death metal riffing. No pickup I've tried has been as clear as the Aftermath for very fast riffing.

Those are my not-so-brief thoughts, and if you want any more details or sound clips, I'll gladly post a few. I can currently do ones for the Ceramic Blackhawk, the Juggernaut, and Holy Divers. I no longer own Aftermaths, but I can find plenty of sound clips for recordings I've done with them.

Good luck!

')