BKP Warpigs in a mahogany guitar into a Diezel Herbert…too dark?

• Thread starter Rybosome
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rybosome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m using a Gibson Flying V tuned to standard C or drop Bb with stock pickups (496R/500T) for stoner metal and Gothenburg style melodic death metal. Will be playing through a Diezel Herbert mk 3 (when it arrives in the next few weeks).

I wanted to try something new and ordered BKP warpigs because I loved the raw, guttural tone I heard in a few YT clips.

However thinking about it further, this might’ve been a bad choice. This guitar is already dark and bassy, the Herbert can put out a shitload of bass - getting a super bassy pickup in there as well might be way too much and make it hard to sculpt a tight tone when I need it.

Tim from BKP recommended the c-bomb, now I am thinking I should return the warpigs while they’re still brand new and that’s an option.

Anybody else using warpigs in a dark guitar, and have an opinion on that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The amp will effect how dark the tone is more than the guitar IMO. I've heard Warpigs in a lot of gibson stuff (les pauls, v's, SGs), PRS guitars, and they've sounded phenomenal to me. So much so that I'm genuinely thinking of ditching my schecter to get a les paul and swap in a bare knuckle set. That said the guys at BKP usually are spot on with their recommendations so I'd definitely consider the ceramic nail bomb for the bridge for sure if Tim is recommending it.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I’m using a Gibson Flying V tuned to standard C or drop Bb with stock pickups (496R/500T) for stoner metal and Gothenburg style melodic death metal. Will be playing through a Diezel Herbert mk 3 (when it arrives in the next few weeks).

I wanted to try something new and ordered BKP warpigs because I loved the raw, guttural tone I heard in a few YT clips.

However thinking about it further, this might’ve been a bad choice. This guitar is already dark and bassy, the Herbert can put out a shitload of bass - getting a super bassy pickup in there as well might be way too much and make it hard to sculpt a tight tone when I need it.

Tim from BKP recommended the c-bomb, now I am thinking I should return the warpigs while they’re still brand new and that’s an option.

Anybody else using warpigs in a dark guitar, and have an opinion on that?

Nice to see you here man, this forum is full of guys that know what they’re talking about.

To answer your question, I have a LP tuned to drop B with a set of Warpigs in it; I’ve also owned and enjoyed an Ibanez baritone with Warpigs too, and thanks to RT you know I have a Herbert lol

I’d go for it, Warpigs are one of my two favorite pickups from BKP, the other being Painkillers.

I’d recommend either an EQ in the loop or a treble boost like a Naga Viper or a PlxFx Bion boost, they’re like Rangemaster clones with more range. One of those into your Sarcophagus would slay hard and keep everything from being overly dark.

Stick around, this is a good forum.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice to see you here man, this forum is full of guys that know what they’re talking about.

To answer your question, I have a LP tuned to drop B with a set of Warpigs in it; I’ve also owned and enjoyed an Ibanez baritone with Warpigs too, and thanks to RT you know I have a Herbert lol

I’d go for it, Warpigs are one of my two favorite pickups from BKP, the other being Painkillers.

I’d recommend either an EQ in the loop or a treble boost like a Naga Viper or a PlxFx Bion boost, they’re like Rangemaster clones with more range. One of those into your Sarcophagus would slay hard and keep everything from being overly dark.

Not to sidetrack from the OP. But I'm curious on your thoughts about ragnoroks into a LP. I'm thinking of doing that down the road as from the couple of tones I've heard they pair quite well.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
tbh you're being kind of ridiculous here. You haven't even tried the herbert with the stock pickups yet and you're already cruising to replace them. There's a bunch of unknowns here :lol:

If your guitar is already bass heavy, then the warpig can exacerbate it. That being said, it's not really a dark sounding pickup and even though the bass is very pronounced/chunky, it's still pretty controllable.

10 band eq is an easy way to fine tune your sound, and would let you carve off some of the low end if need be. Plus I'm pretty sure the herbert can be dialed in tighter and brighter on its own.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
tbh you're being kind of ridiculous here. You haven't even tried the herbert with the stock pickups yet and you're already cruising to replace them. There's a bunch of unknowns here :lol:

If your guitar is already bass heavy, then the warpig can exacerbate it. That being said, it's not really a dark sounding pickup and even though the bass is very pronounced/chunky, it's still pretty controllable.

10 band eq is an easy way to fine tune your sound, and would let you carve off some of the low end if need be. Plus I'm pretty sure the herbert can be dialed in tighter and brighter on its own.

No he’s had this amp for a minute; bought used and something was wrong with it. He’s not getting it in 3 weeks, he’s getting it back.

Rybosome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Hey man, nice to run into you here too! Appreciate the info. If you were able to make an LP in drop B with warpigs work, sounds like it's pretty manageable. The painkillers also sound great, love the grinding crunch in those low palm mutes.

The Bion boost looks really good, I like that it offers finer control over where the boost/cut happens. At this rate we're gonna be running very similar rigs...mahongany guitars with c-pigs into a treble booster into a BAT fuzz into a Herbert (plus or minus a few pedals). :cheers:

It is ridiculous :D I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks to see an old friend and jam out/record some stuff, so I'm putting a lot of thought and effort into (some would say obsessing over) getting an airtight rig together.

Got a couple recs for an EQ in the loop here, that's an appealing option since I've got a Source Audio EQ2 on the board already. Guessing I'd run bass low on the amp, then add it back in the loop after distortion has been applied to the signal? Or do you mean running bass like normal on the amp, then shaving off problematic frequencies in the loop?

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Hey man, nice to run into you here too! Appreciate the info. If you were able to make an LP in drop B with warpigs work, sounds like it's pretty manageable. The painkillers also sound great, love the grinding crunch in those low palm mutes.

The Bion boost looks really good, I like that it offers finer control over where the boost/cut happens. At this rate we're gonna be running very similar rigs...mahongany guitars with c-pigs into a treble booster into a BAT fuzz into a Herbert (plus or minus a few pedals). :cheers:

It is ridiculous :D I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks to see an old friend and jam out/record some stuff, so I'm putting a lot of thought and effort into (some would say obsessing over) getting an airtight rig together.

Got a couple recs for an EQ in the loop here, that's an appealing option since I've got a Source Audio EQ2 on the board already. Guessing I'd run bass low on the amp, then add it back in the loop after distortion has been applied to the signal? Or do you mean running bass like normal on the amp, then shaving off problematic frequencies in the loop?
I tend to run the amp like normal and then chop frequencies with the eq in the loop. Amp EQs are less specific ime.
But yeah if you want bkps that work really well in a dark sounding guitar/rig, the painkillers are excellent for that. They're horrendously bright and icepicky in the wrong setup but that probably wouldn't be an issue for you. The painkillers definitely aren't as good for doomy riffage, but they really excel at faster tighter stuff ime. The greasier/hairier high end can get a bit old at times. Definitely less tonally versatile than the warpigs or the c-bomb ime, but still a good option.

Ross82

Reaction score
Just to add some info, I have Nailbombs in my C-tuned Caparison which is all mahogany body and they sound excellent. I play a similar vein of melodic Death/Thrash metal among others and they serve that purpose right on the nose. My original intention was to drop my go-to EMG 81/85 in but after hearing the NB's I honestly found no good reason at all. They're very punchy, articulate and have no issue with clarity and output.

The only thing I dont care for in them is split coil tone and I say that on every pickup I've tried thus far.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well I feel dumb for my initial answer. I didn't read enough to realize you had already owned the Diezel fora while so my apologies. I still think warpigs in the V will sound good, but the nailbomb may cut through a little more in that lower tuning. I know Rabea Massaad used the warpig in all of his guitars for years and he played in drop C and drop A, but his guitars were Alder body and maple neck most of the time.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey I'm about to stick a warpig into a herbert so we'll see what it sounds like. I'm curious about that whole "it's kind of bright but just has a big low end" thing @KnightBrolaire

sounds intriguing as hell

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Get a brighter cab?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Is trying the pickup first to see if you like it not a thing anymore?

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Warpigs are likely to be more optimal for the stoner (where you need plenty of bass) than melodic death metal, but decent for both.
I don't have personal experience with Warpigs, but the bass is supposed to be relatively tight considering how much if it there is (presumably what KnightBrolaire meant by "pretty controllable").

If you ordered from BKP direct, you could try out the Warpigs and then swap them for Nailbombs (free of charge) if you aren't content.

My guess is that BKP recommended Nailbombs because they're in the middle ground of what they'd recommend for stoner and what they'd recommend for melodic death metal (I'm unsure what the obvious BKP choice would be for that...perhaps Miracle Man?...I use DiMarzio D Activators for it and EMGs are commonly used).

')