Black Crown Initiate. 8 string prog metal

• Thread starter leftyguitarjoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Rik left the band because he had gotten married and bought a house. The touring life just didn't suit him. Cant blame him for taking the safe route.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anomynous

Reaction score
Rik left the band because he had gotten married and bought a house. The touring life just didn't suit him. Cant blame him for taking the safe route.

Figured, can't blame him. It's just weird when bands say nothing about it.

Thorerges

Reaction score

Holy ...., Rik left? I did not know that - they never released any media on this. So Wes Hauch is joining for real?

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
New song "For Red Cloud" is great. It's terrifying, they're getting really good at the whole uncomfortable-nihilist theme thing. Guitar solo was killer. I can't wait for this!!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
New song didn't do anything for me, think I'll check out the album when it's out but otherwise I've lost almost all interest in this band. It's a huge shame too because Song of the Crippled Bull is killer, but The Wreckage of Stars was really meh to me aside from the title track.

Also, was it just me or was the bass not loud enough in the mix? With that talented of a bassist, I feel like he should be shown off more. The tone they had on Song of the Crippled Bull they absolutely nailed; the title track is some of the tightest riffing I've ever heard and raises the hair on the back of my neck every time it kicks in.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Holy ...., Rik left? I did not know that - they never released any media on this. So Wes Hauch is joining for real?

Last time I talked to them it seemed like Wes wanted to join. It was about the time The Faceless was trying to steal James away from BCI, but he declined because Keene is notoriously difficult to work with.

Thorerges

Reaction score
New song didn't do anything for me, think I'll check out the album when it's out but otherwise I've lost almost all interest in this band. It's a huge shame too because Song of the Crippled Bull is killer, but The Wreckage of Stars was really meh to me aside from the title track.

Also, was it just me or was the bass not loud enough in the mix? With that talented of a bassist, I feel like he should be shown off more. The tone they had on Song of the Crippled Bull they absolutely nailed; the title track is some of the tightest riffing I've ever heard and raises the hair on the back of my neck every time it kicks in.

I agree, they settled for more predictable death metal stuff, the EP was just too epic even for their own good.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Last time I talked to them it seemed like Wes wanted to join. It was about the time The Faceless was trying to steal James away from BCI, but he declined because Keene is notoriously difficult to work with.

I honestly don't know how The Faceless will continue to function as a fulltime band if they release an album every four years. Not to mention, a lot of the musicians just decide to drop right in the middle of tour cause they get so sick of being bossed around (just inference).

Good for James, The Faceless might seem the most established (and probably lucrative) offer, but I think with their current work ethic, BCI is going to become one of the biggest bands in the scene.

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
I really like all of their stuff and I think that their EP was pretty much flawless while the album did have some meh tracks, but then again the EP was written when they were a 3 piece and (I think) Andy pretty much wrote everything. The album seems more like a band effort, which I'm fine with. One can't deny that they're really trying to make some good music and they're going to get even bigger and bigger in this scene.

It's much harder to write a perfect ten track album than a perfect four track EP.

Thorerges

Reaction score
I really like all of their stuff and I think that their EP was pretty much flawless while the album did have some meh tracks, but then again the EP was written when they were a 3 piece and (I think) Andy pretty much wrote everything. The album seems more like a band effort, which I'm fine with. One can't deny that they're really trying to make some good music and they're going to get even bigger and bigger in this scene.

It's much harder to write a perfect ten track album than a perfect four track EP.

Thats true, I can imagine they're also under a lot of pressure to release material immediately, and maybe they're compromising songwriting quality.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Saw Black Crown in hotlanta tonight.

First of all I noticed
a guy walking around with a guitar similar to mine (the banshee elite pro) and realized it was Wes.

After telling him I was a fan of his work he relayed to me that he is indeed, no longer in faceless :(

However, after watching him play with black crown it is a blessing I'd say.

They were fantastic. Unfortunately they only played four songs, one of which was their new single which ABSOLUTELY CRUSHED...I honestly am still in awe of how heavy that was live and can't help but anticipate the rest of the album. They put on a great show.

It's a real shame they were followed by the acacia strain, who proceeded to go through a 45 minute set of breakdown after breakdown after breakdown.

TL;DR, Black crown killed it, Wes is cool, Acacia Strain....not so much.

anomynous

Reaction score
Saw Black Crown in hotlanta tonight.

First of all I noticed
a guy walking around with a guitar similar to mine (the banshee elite pro) and realized it was Wes.

After telling him I was a fan of his work he relayed to me that he is indeed, no longer in faceless :(

However, after watching him play with black crown it is a blessing I'd say.

They were fantastic. Unfortunately they only played four songs, one of which was their new single which ABSOLUTELY CRUSHED...I honestly am still in awe of how heavy that was live and can't help but anticipate the rest of the album. They put on a great show.

TL;DR, Black crown killed it, Wes is cool, Acacia Strain....not so much.

He hasn't been in the band for well over two years

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
That is an awesome track. I love the clean vocals in the beginning. I'm listening on my work computer, so it takes away from the heavy, which I'm sure is awesome as well.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Welp, sh*t.

Now I am gonna have to check out this album. Just when i think I'm out, they pull me back in. :lol: I just wish their more-death-metal songs were more interesting to me. They have a ridiculous amount of talent between them, I can't deny that, I just love their melodic sections so much more than the heavier.

Even on sh*tty headphones this sounds great.

')