Black Friday indecision!

• Thread starter Blackbog3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbog3

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new guitar, i just posted about maybe getting a new tele style, but I've seen the sweetwater ad for the se 245, and the musiciansfriend sgj in white both for 400 bucks. Has anyone played both of these and could give some info on quality vs one another? I played a prs se sc that I quite liked, but it wasn't a 245, and i also liked my old gibson faded sg.

Who wins in fit/finish and tone?

White or Black?

Singlecut or Double cut?

Why won't my wife let me get both?

Also I play in drop C with the band, would the wraparound tailpiece be a bad idea due to intonation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
Buy both in the same color and tell you wife they are the same guitar. Just never have them in the same room at the same time.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
I have a question for married SSO members how come you guys have to consult with your significant on guitar/gear purchases and does that consultaion only include guitar/gear purchases?

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Buy both in the same color and tell you wife they are the same guitar. Just never have them in the same room at the same time.

:lol:

I have a question for married SSO members how come you guys have to consult with your significant on guitar/gear purchases and does that consultaion only include guitar/gear purchases?

I think it comes down to anything that a significant other views as a hobby (playing music, building hot rods, art, etc.) and you view as a lifestyle or part of your lifestyle at least. They will view them as toys to fuel your hobby, where as you view them as tools to achieve different tones, styles of playing, feels, etc.

People's ideas of wants as opposed to needs just clash when one doesn't understand where the other is coming from.

Given, a good percentage of guitar/gear purchases are wants with bedroom players and such, but so is wanting 2b pencils for an artist to sketch with as opposed to hb or the hot rod builder that wants a 383 small block Chevy instead of a 350. You can do the same thing and get the same effect with either one, it just depends on how you use/handle/build it, but it's sooo much easier when you just get the one you "need" :lol:

Edika

Reaction score

Well when you are married you have a common income and common expenses. It's not your money or her money anymore, it's kind of your money. Depending on the income of both members and the bills, living expenses you have there will be a certain amount of money left per month/per year. Then there are the goals you have set as a couple, saving a certain amount per month, saving to buy a house, a car etc etc. Having kids complicates things as there are a lot of expenses associated with kids. Then there are common entertainment expenses, like going out, going to the movies, going to restaurants, going to trips. What's left then is money for personal hobbies/expenses and that would also depend on the space available at the house. If you don't have space to put all your gear your significant other won't really like it if it invades all other parts of the house which is common ground.
I agree with dedsouth333 on how each other views the hobbies/collectibles. I would like to add that it also depends on how you handle it and how 'selfish' is your hobby. For example my wife's hobby is going on trips together, visiting new places and sharing those experiences. An expensive hobby that I don't share the same enthusiasm especially when I am constantly thinking of how much money are going to be left in case of emergency or planning to do things for our future. #but she is thinking of both of us while I am thinking about myself when thinking about buying gear.

morethan6

Reaction score

You don't HAVE to discuss guitar purchases - but mine are getting harder and harder to hide :)

Reaction score
I have a girlfriend and already she says " you have two guitars now!"

Two guitars is no where near the number that's in my head.. Wait till she finds that out!

asfeir

Reaction score
I have a girlfriend and already she says " you have two guitars now!"

Two guitars is no where near the number that's in my head.. Wait till she finds that out!

Mine thinks I have 3 but I have 6 with another 2 on luthiers wait lists.
She nearly left me when I bought my "third".

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score

General courtesy. I wouldn't like her spending 200-1000+ out of nowhere, so I get the permission. If it's a healthy relationship you probably shouldn't be hiding financial things from each other. It's no longer my money, it's our money. Truth be told, she makes more than I do. Technically she's bought me most of my shit. (though I'm always the one to pick things out.)

edit: on topic. I really like the Gibson J's. (SGJ, LPJ). Given I've only played one of each, their quality was damn good. I've no experience with the other guitar, but I'd be willing to bet if you enjoy the SG shape, you'll like the SGJ.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

I feel like a wife has grounds to bitch at you for spending money... :lol:

... within reason...

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score

Guitars and amps are typically large purchases. So with joint funds, it requires consulting. Especially when I'm holding off on buying a $500 dryer yet looking at $900 guitars daily.
My wife isn't unreasonable, but know how you have the good and bad voice in your head before pulling the trigger? Once you're married, you can let your wife be the negative yet probably more responsible voice so you don't personally have to say no to a deal for something you realistically don't need.

To the OP: SGJs are in every GC and Sam Ash I've been in. I've seen the necks listed as slim taper in some places, but everything I've played has been a baseball bat. I'd check it out in person if possible.

Blackbog3

Reaction score
I'm glad to fuel your curiosity about spousal issues but, um.. Which guitar should I get?

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Blackbog3

Reaction score
can't edit on mobile, just noticed the suggestions that were given, my deal is that aesthetically I prefer the PRS just a bit more, but I'm concerned about quality, and that the wrap around tailpiece may have trouble intonating when I tune it down.

I don't have a GC less than 2 hours away, and a Gibson/ PRS dealer is about an hour which doesn't stock those.

I've owned 2 sgs in the past, a standard and a faded. I kind of preferred the baseball bat of a neck on the faded.
How is the finish on the back of the sgj? is it glossy or satin, and if satin is it grainy and nasty?

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score

Because it's no longer just one person's money... or maybe it is, just not yours.

You see: AWESOME NEW GUITAR!!!

She sees: Money that could be spent on something like shelves, dishes, random tacky shit for the yard, cookwear, an ottoman or literally anything but a new guitar.

The way used to justify it to my old girlfriend was that I need another guitar because I am needing to play in a new tuning :)

I am VERY lucky in that my girlfriend and I live together, share money and such BUT,,, she plays a Jackson Rhoads, loves metal as much as I do and also happens to share and support my love for playing guitar :)

Debris

\m/ Shred-aholic \m/
Reaction score
When my fiance asked why I buy/trade gear and guitars so much, I told her it was easier than trading women...

')