Black Label Society is pretty cool!

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brett89

Reaction score
I just started to listen them again. I'm not a big fan of them but they are realy cool, love their downtuned songs, very original, I can realy hear Zakk's hard rock and country influances in his music :hbang: So I will learn some songs for them too if I get my 7. I like their Korny tone too :)

Do you like them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure Zakk would be thrilled that his tone is being compared to Korn's, heh.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the Ozzy albums he's played on, in particular No More Tears, for songwriting that's kinda similar but with 96048690849654 times more quality control and without the inescaple "biker beer metal" gimmick crammed into every facet of the music.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Pride & Glory and the early albums with Ozzy (No Rest For The Wicked, No More Tears) are pretty much the essential Zakk. I have a few BLS albums and I used to like them a lot, but the whole tough guy biker image just got boring. It just seems really forced. Not to mention the extremely repetitive music.

Makelele

Reaction score
"Stronger than Death" is their best in my opinion, and they've got some cool songs on the others too. "Rust" is probably my favorite song of theirs.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
They've improved a lot. When he's playing in the context of a heavy melodic song, it's really good. And I love his lead style. Great showman... etc. Stillborn is probably my favorite song. Ozzy sounds good on that.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you think BLS's tone sounds like KoRn.. :shrug:

I'm a fan of Zakk and BLS, but I kind of have to be in the right mood to listen to 'em. Though I still enjoy it, most of it sounds more or less the same to be. BLS has three modes: rockin' Zakk, acoustic Zakk, and somber piano Zakk, and it just doesn't seem to deviate a hell of a lot from the "usual" MO very often. I think when I go back into his older stuff there's a bit more variety there that interests me. Either way, though, it's still great stuff.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i think their older stuff is better. less formulaic. Stronger than Death & 1919 Eternal are awesome. Badass songs -- Bleed for Me & Counterfeit God.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
Zakk's acoustic CD..."Book of shadows" is one of my favorite cd's of all time..in a sort of acoustic perfect way..it just works...The Pride & Glory stuff sounds great too...Not really a fan of the Biker stuff tho.....

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
I like BLS alot. The blessed hellride is my fav cd from them. And on some of their newer songs they do repet alot. I think they just want to get that basic rock groove in their songs and not try to show off alot on them, to make them more for the radio. Dont get me wrong Zakk can shred up fretboard apart with the best of them, I just think that they don't want to over do it. So that their songs can be heard by the masses. And I don't think they have a Korn sound at all! Korn has their own sound all together!

neon_black88

Reaction score
Zakk's acoustic CD..."Book of shadows" is one of my favorite cd's of all time..in a sort of acoustic perfect way..it just works...The Pride & Glory stuff sounds great too...Not really a fan of the Biker stuff tho.....

Yeesssss, zakk was born to do this, his heavy albums just seem so amatuer compared to book of shadows. Its also one of my favorite albums of all time :hbang:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Zakk's voice is right up there with The King for putting a smile on my face. Sometimes I'll do my really loud impersonation while I'm walking out to my car. "Ohho Lawd it's been a lo-o-ong time!" LOL! Love it.

T_money419

Badass mofo
Reaction score
I love House of Doom, Suicide Messiah, Concrete Jungle, and Fire it Up.:rocker:
Zakk's voice sometimes gets irritating. Like in In this River:spock:

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
i love the track Phoney Smiles & Fake Hellos ... but i think zakk would appeal to me more if he wasn't the front man. i just think his playing far over shadows his singing to an extreme... which is reason enough to let someone else do the job.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think BLS is terrible. Guitar playing, singing, and songwriting. I'll never understand what people see in these guys.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score

P&G is great album!

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
it's just way too ... i dunno ... "watch me do pinch harmonics for an hour while my band watches".

they have moments ... but outside those few moments ... :p

I think BLS is terrible. Guitar playing, singing, and songwriting. I'll never understand what people see in these guys.

i think it's the image ... as sad as that image is!

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
[action=Leon]still hasn't received his ZW Epi guitar. :mad:[/action]

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score

zakk is a great player. the problem with bls is the music is just very repetitive. They don't go to far away from what they do. Plus that biker image was out before it was ever in for him. And the thing i hate most about that band is that little shit he's got playing guitar with him. He's like a little zakk clone or a "mini-me" if you will. Whatever zakk does he's right on his ass doing the same thing. If your going to be the backup for one of the most legendary guitarists ever it's probably a good idea to find your own identity to distinguish yourself.

irg7620

zombie
Reaction score
I absolutely love BLS. I saw them at Ozzfest '05 and at Piere's in Fort Wayne, Indiana. damn good band. I like the fact they keep the music very much the same. it's metal to me and i love it. personally, when bands keep the music simple without much diversity, i think that leaves room to keep writing more and more songs. not that diversity is bad, i just feel when bands start putting in more and more changes or trying to cram each song with so much different stuff, that it's hard to remember the song. if you can do it, great. more power to you. zakk is an awesome guitarist/songwriter. so is nick, jd, and i forget what the drummer's name is. i love the biker image. it's no different than gwar wearing alien monster suits in concert. long live Black Label Society.

')