Black metal with good production.

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
The only thing I really know off the top of my head is Wolves in the Throne room, but I would love to hear some more atmospheric black metal with actually good production values. I was never really into the kvlt aesthetic of records sounding like they were recorded one of these

61wKqly%2BjGL._SL1500_.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Descent

Reaction score
Anything relatively recent from Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth is usually high production value. Watain have managed to stay in between, where they're still raw and have that energy, yet the production is clean and you can make out the instruments.

Don't listen to much BM anymore, but these 3 to get you started.

JSanta

Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as black metal, but it has a similar vibe to me, especially once the gritty vocals kick in around halfway through.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as black metal, but it has a similar vibe to me, especially once the gritty vocals kick in around halfway through.

That is definetly post black. I'll link couple of atmospheric bands that I've liked in past few years. Of course there are lot of bands in other sub categories of black metal with good production values. Also you could dig this thread through if there is something you might like.
http://sevenstring.org/threads/best-of-the-blackest-of-the-black.325591/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGo-9tKb90&t=6s

KailM

Reaction score
But I've been given to believe that Trve Black Metal is supposed to sound like it was recorded with a vintage Sears cassette tape recorder in a train tunnel?

No, that's nonsense. There is a place for lofi black metal, high production, and everything in between. I like it all, personally.

Like others said, Saor has amazing production, and Andy is coming out with another Saor album in February. Amazing work.

Some others:
Blut Aus Nord
Winterfylleth
Wodensthrone
Lunar Aurora (they used both ends of the spectrum in their production)
Imperium Dekadenz
Obsequaia
UADA
Immortal from At the Heart of Winter and on
Dissection
Drudkh
Mgla
Most Emperor
Enslaved (latter half of their career)
Dimmu Borgir
Drautran
Wode

That should get you started.

I will be releasing a full-length sometime this fall/early winter that is predominantly black metal, but definitely has death, thrash, and atmospheric/prog components. I like to think it's at the upper end of "medium" quality production. :lol:

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
The problem with clean and clear production of black metal albums is that it forces the listener to cleanly and clearly hear how crap it is.
Man, does there ever need to be a "dislike " button...

He's entitled to his wrong opinion. Leave him alone. Not everyone can have great taste.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
Just want to say you can have that 90's sound and atmosphere without going massively overboard into 4-track and peavey bandit status. See the newest Dark Funeral for a great example of that. Great blend of throwback and modern.

Latest posts

')