Black metal with good production.

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Yeah, it's totally coincidental that every USBM band sounded exactly the same when they worked with Thurston Moore. Or that the band that kicked off the whole trend of every USBM band sounding the same had members from multiple well-known alt-rock bands and was named after a Swans song.

With few exceptions, post-1996 black metal is alt-rock. Again, go listen to that Secrets of the Moon cover of "Them Bones" (which is incredibly faithful to the original), and notice how the only difference between that and anything from Antithesis is that "Them Bones" is actually more metal. You can do the same thing with N.I.L's cover of "Bad Houses", and compare it to everything Krieg did after "The Black House". Of course, I wouldn't trust a guy who has Emperor's sell-out album as his avatar to have any clue about black metal anyways.

I wouldn't trust anyone who thinks Alice in Chains and any of those bands you mentioned sounds similar to have a clue about black metal either, and putting it politely, MUCH ELSE.

Oh and the next time you want to be a smart ass, bring the smarts, because that's the one thing you're missing in this, trying to be condescending and all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Anyways, for the rest of you who were participating in the fruitful portion of this thread, carry on.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for you to actually try to refute a point instead of just saying "I'M RIGHT I'M RIGHT UR WRONG".

"SECRETS OF THE MOON OBVIOUSLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ALICE IN CHAINS HURRDURR"

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for you to actually try to refute a point instead of just saying "I'M RIGHT I'M RIGHT UR WRONG".

"SECRETS OF THE MOON OBVIOUSLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ALICE IN CHAINS HURRDURR"

I mean, according to you, Death Metal is the same as hard rock. Don't believe me? Six Feet Under's cover album of Back In Black. Death Metal=Hard Rock, REEEEE!!!!

Last edited:

Cynicanal

Reaction score
The difference is that SFU's "Graveyard Classics" albums sound nothing like "normal" SFU (also, SFU wasn't death metal in the first place and was Pantera-inspired groove metal with some death metal inspired lyrics, but that's beside the point). SotM's "Them Bones" cover sounds pretty much exactly like every SotM song, except it's actually riffier and more metal. I mean, compare that video to this:

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Yes, he was in Twilight, and also worked with Nachtmystium for a while.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
United States Black Metal everyone. If you can't hear the screechy vocals, the really trebly guitars, lyrics about The Cascades, you're fucking crazy:

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Really trebly guitars? Dude, I don't know where you've been, but that's been out-of-vogue in black metal for fifteen years at this point.

Otherwise, aside from the vocals... yeah, that sounds like pretty much all black metal in recent years. Also, if you think that the guitar tone and lyrics are what defines music rather than the songwriting... well, that would explain a lot, although I'd have thought that people on a website for musicians would be a bit more insightful...

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Really trebly guitars? Dude, I don't know where you've been, but that's been out-of-vogue in black metal for fifteen years at this point.

Otherwise, aside from the vocals... yeah, that sounds like pretty much all black metal in recent years. Also, if you think that the guitar tone and lyrics are what defines music rather than the songwriting... well, that would explain a lot, although I'd have thought that people on a website for musicians would be a bit more insightful...

I mean, if that's what you think, cool.

Also, please don't try telling anyone what's popular when you're using phrases such as "out-of-vogue". I don't expect YOU to see the irony in that, but it's just a heads up for future interactions, assuming you last that long with your condescending attitude.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
LOL, yes, I won't point out that 2003 was the year that both the first of the really big Necromorbus Studios albums came out, and was followed very shortly by "Si Monumentum...", Antithesis, the rest of the NoEvDia/Ajna scene, as well as "The Black House", the WitTR demo, "To Violate the Oblivious", etc., (also "Joined in Darkness", even though it was released in 1999, got really popular around this time) which put an end to the "the guitars are thin and all treble" stereotype just because you find the phrase "out of vogue" to be pretentious or something.

(But thanks for being a great demonstration about fans of later Emperor!)

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
LOL, yes, I won't point out that 2003 was the year that both the first of the really big Necromorbus Studios albums came out, and was followed very shortly by "Si Monumentum...", Antithesis, the rest of the NoEvDia/Ajna scene, as well as "The Black House", the WitTR demo, "To Violate the Oblivious", etc., which put an end to the "the guitars are thin and all treble" stereotype just because you find the phrase "out of vogue" to be pretentious or something.

(But thanks for being a great demonstration about fans of later Emperor!)

4sharp6moi

Anyways, to get this thread BACK ON TRACK AND OF SOMETHING WITH ACTUAL SUBSTANCE, I don't know if you'd consider Vouna at all to be black metal, but it's got some black metal elements in it, so it might be worth a listen.

Last edited:

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Black metal has the worst fans out of every metal sub genre.

I'd say Slayer's fans are a solid contender for that, honestly. I mean, apparently I'm not "kvlt" enough, just because I love Emperor's second album. :lol:

But I'd say that the elitists of ANY fanbase can make anything unbearable.

KailM

Reaction score
Of course, I wouldn't trust a guy who has Emperor's sell-out album as his avatar to have any clue about black metal anyways.

Lol, okay dude. :lol:

Here's some post-1996 new-wave, progressive alt-rock, with easy-listening AM radio vibes for those of y'all un-trve sell-outs. Try not to spill your tea on your sweater-vests:

Latest posts

')