Black metal with good production.

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

justin_time

has terrible gear
Reaction score
+1 for Winterfylleth, especially The Threnody of Triumph and on

Though not really atmospheric, here are some others I can think of:

More recent albums from Borknagar/Vintersorg
Carach Angren
Agalloch
Alcest
Negura Bunget - Om: I would not say it's 'clean' production but it really is an awesome album if you like wolves in the throne room type black metal

BTrip

Reaction score
Arcturus' record - Aspera Hiems Symfonia is a great album but the quality isn't amazing but it's also not horrible

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Trying to get more into Extol and Enslaved what albums would you guys rec?

BTrip

Reaction score
Not sure about extol but for enslaved I'd say any album really. E and Axioma Ethica Odini are probably my 2 favorite though.

KailM

Reaction score

Never listened to Extol but for Enslaved,

My favorite is Blodhemn, then Vikinligr Veldi, then Frost -- for the more old-school black metal sounds. They really morphed into something else entirely after that -- not so much 2nd-wave black metal but more progressive metal with BM vocals. Below The Lights is an excellent album that sits somewhere in between. Then Vertebrae really set them on a path that, IMO really isn't black metal anymore, but still great music. My favorite albums from their most modern era are Ritiir and Axioma. The last two albums have not been as interesting to me.

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and it's not trve black metal, but Skeletonwitch's last album has good production and blackened riffs. a personal favorite.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Skip Extol...

Enslaved's best album IMO is Below the Lights, by a wide margin. And I really love their other albums, too (though I'm pretty much uninterested in their first 3 albums), but nothing even comes close to Below the Lights. It has ZERO filler tracks, which is something that seems to plague the rest of their discography.

wankerness

Reaction score
Below the Lights is a peak for sure, but I dunno. They went off in a much proggier, more melodic direction after that, and I think if you prefer that sound that you could easily make an argument that their peak so far is Riitiir or something. All their stuff is great. If you're a fan of their entire discography instead of just the back half, though, Below the Lights seems like the most obvious candidate.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Enslaved's only good full-length albums are Vikingligr Veldi and Frost, with the former being much better than the latter.

Hordanes Land was also good, if you want more, but was only an EP.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Enslaved's only boring run of the mill basic black metal that sounds like all the other black metal that came out in 1994 full-length albums are Vikingligr Veldi and Frost

ftfy

I mean, they're not bad. But the thing they are not, even more than they are not bad, is interesting.

Reactions: fps

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Below the Lights is a peak for sure, but I dunno. They went off in a much proggier, more melodic direction after that, and I think if you prefer that sound that you could easily make an argument that their peak so far is Riitiir or something. All their stuff is great. If you're a fan of their entire discography instead of just the back half, though, Below the Lights seems like the most obvious candidate.
Roots of the Mountain I think is probably one of if not the best modern Enslaved songs.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Roots of the Mountain I think is probably one of if not the best modern Enslaved songs.
Indeed!

Probably one of my favorite songs of all time, from any band!

')