Black Sabbath: Live Evil

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
:yesway:

I spent countless hours playing guitar along with Live Evil back when I was about 15. I think I learned just about every little nuance that Tony plays on it, though I never did quite figure out that little arpeggio intro that Tony does on the song "Black Sabbath."

What's sad is that Ozzy's butchery of the Sabbath catalogue on Speak of the Devil (or Talk of the Devil for you non-Americans out there) got a lot more attention than Live Evil did.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
:dio:

Live Evil was the first Sabbath I ever bought. I still love it.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Live Evil is great, but you know whats better?

Live At the Hammersmith. Rhino released it this year and the production crushes it. its from 1981, as well, and the setlist is totally different. Such a great recording

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Live Evil is great, but you know whats better?

Live At the Hammersmith. Rhino released it this year and the production crushes it. its from 1981, as well, and the setlist is totally different. Such a great recording

It is great, but sadly Rhino decided to release it in the "Handmade" series, limited to 5,000 copies. I got my copy, but anyone looking for it now is SOL unless they want to pay big $$$ on eBay.

I must say, though, that I like the lusher mix on Live Evil a little better than the dryer mix on the Hammersmith album. Guess I'm just stuck in the '80s. :lol:

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Dio brought melodic and compositional value to Sabbath.

Ozzy had no melodic sense, just sang the same melody to the riff for the most part. It took Randy Rhoads to introduce Ozzy to melodic value and actually help Oz to incorporate that into his music from that point forth, but before that, Oz was no Wiz on the melody.

Dio has always been very creative in moving the melody around with his voice, not just settling for doing each verse the same, but adding little inflections to add & relieve melodic tension, make for much more interesting listening.

Latest posts

')