BlacKat Guitars - Feral Cat Project

BlacKat Guitars

Reaction score
*This topic is introduced to discuss Feral Cat project only. To talk about anything else regarding BlacKats, please use the main thread.

Since introduction in January last year, BlacKats specs got better but prices were bumped too. To celebrate our first birthday and also meet demands for cheaper but classy model, we would like to introduce project Feral Kat.

General ideas:
1. No customizations, but on the other hand we will keep these in stock, so it will be possible to get one quicker than customizable Ninja and Leon model. Want higher spec and custom options, order Leon or Ninja.
2. Pickups: One model of passive Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups. At this point I lean towards DiMarzio because they have passive 8 string pickups. I'd go with crunchlab/liquifire in 6 i 7, deactivator 8 i 8.
3. Volume pot and 3-way toggle with inner coil split option in the middle.
4. Hipshot hardware (!), non locking open gear tuners, standard metal knob, black. Graphtech black tusq nut.
5. Standard dunlop strap pins that work with their straploks (but no straploks included)
6. Nickel silver frets
7. 3-piece maple neck
8. Rosewood or maple board (?). I prefer maple for clarity.
9. Alder body. Colored oil finish or similar, visible wood grain, four colors (black, red, blue and natural). Might do limited runs in other colors if demand is high.
10. BlacKat softcase/gigbag that we used on all models last year. Possible to upgrade to dedicated hiscox hardcase for 50 €.
11. Single and Doublekat shape (tele and superstrat)
12. 6, 7 and 8 strings, maybe baritone scale in 7.
13. Lefties available too, same price!

Price is TBA and depends on final specs, but we're targeting at 1000-1200 € including VAT in EU which makes approx 1050$-1250$ for US customers. This must be yet confirmed when final spec is designed. For this price you get fully featured guitar made by our main workshop and same people that manufacture all high-end BlacKat (and Skervesens) models. No cutting corners here, precise CNC routing and amazing craftsmanship as always ;).

To those not following main BlacKat thread, this is what our superstrat looks like:
nindk8.jpg

And this is our tele:
ninja6bari_09.JPG

Any comments, ideas, questions? Let them flow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lianoroto

Reaction score

I concur with this mans opinion!

Haven't been following the other thread that closely, but do you have and info on the neck-profile? At that price point I might see myself as a owner of a Blackat guitar.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Please include your awesome cat footprint inlay and I'll be all over this!

BlacKat Guitars

Reaction score
Footprint is out of equation unfortunately, we'll likely go with offset dots or clear fretboard - depending on customer votes. One more reason for maple board - black dots on bright board are more visible than white dots on dark board.

I'd like to have some discussion about pickups. My mind is set on DiMarzios, but I'm considering several combos. Alder/maple combo is bright sounding, cutting through combination that will work well with beefier pickups. My choice is Crunch Lab / Liquifire for 6&7, but I also consider Tone Zone for bridge position, Air Norton for neck. I'd prefer to use same pickups for 6 and 7 to have consistent results.

Here are some conclusions from sevenstring.pl forum where we also have discussion about this:
1. Include locking tuners - will up the price by ~25€
2. Include tone pot - many people don't use it but some do, some will like to rewire guitar to two volumes etc

I'd like to have a first run soon, will open preorder list in two weeks or so - when we decide on all specs and confirm the pricing. There will be a small discount for early orders.

Neck profile similar as in higher end BlacKats, maybe without fancy compound radiuses (19 mm at 1st / 21 mm at 12th fret on 6 and 7, 20 mm/22 mm on 8, asymetrical back - comfy neck).

Lianoroto

Reaction score
Alder body you say? Maple neck and a comfy profile?

Hm, what to sell to fund this...

Mitochondria

Reaction score
25.5" or 27" scale 7 string.

Personally i would love a Seymour Duncan SH-5 in the bridge 59' in the Neck.

-Volume pot and 3-way toggle with inner coil split option in the middle

- Hipshot hardware, with locking open gear tuners i will end up spending the extra money anyway, standard metal knob, black. Graphtech black tusq nut.

- Standard dunlop strap pins that work with their straploks (but no straploks included) is fine.

- Nickel silver frets

- 3-piece maple/mahogany/maple neck for some color and warmth

- maple board = badass

- Alder body. WHITE!

- Doublekat shape

The white with the maple is :bowdown:.
Would this be in a deposit form so like ~$500 down the rest when finished?

BlacKat Guitars

Reaction score
Laminated 3-piece maple neck.
We might do "white washed" finish. Reaally white (like Leon 7 we did for Guitar Candy - check the main thread) is too troublesome for cheaper model.

Not sure yet about ordering terms, but they will likely be the same as with our "custom series".

We're based in Poland but ship worldwide and we also have dealers in several countries.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Wowwwww.....
I can personally say that if you done a Doublekat in white wash, with a maple board with black offset dots, and using just the other specs listed....I would be ALL OVER THIS!!!

Black with visible woodgrain would be great as an alternate but theres something about white guitars with maple boards :)

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to think the crunch/liquifire combo is a good choice, as well as the locking tuners.
I'm still way in hehe, that whitewash is sexy

BlacKat Guitars

Reaction score
General idea is to keep one spec for standard stock production but there is also an idea for limited runs with other specs.

Lilarcor

Reaction score
The idea is very nice and I'd be interested in a standard scale singlecut 7 as soon as I can afford it.
Of the suggested finishes white washed is my clear favorite. I'm just a little worried about alder looking kinda boring with a semi-transparent finish.
I assume stainless steel frets aren't possible even with an upcharge?
Dimarzios for pups is fine although I'd prefer something alnico powered in an alder body, maple neck guitar. So if you decide to go the Duncan route maybe Full Shreds or Custom/59 Hybrid bridge and Jazz neck. Don't like the JB too much personally. BKPs for an upcharge possible?

')