Blackened Death Metal Appreciation

• Thread starter NaYoN
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Black metal and death metal are two of the most 'cork sniffer' metal genres I can think of, so it's no surprise a blackened death metal thread becomes a "no it isn't" "yes it is" debate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much that, I like the bands that people might argue "is" or "isn't". I just think it's a fine line, and it's open to interpretation. I think all that's really needed is for one band to have influences from both, so I could see why it could be debatable. I would definitely say some Behemoth is blackened death metal, since they obviously take influence from both. Other songs of theirs it really does sound like straight up death metal :shrug:

Also, when I say something definitely isn't black metal, doesn't mean I dislike it, just that it doesn't really fit with the traditional definition of black metal.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think all that's really needed is for one band to have influences from both

Agreed. Very much so. Where I disagree with the debate is everyone playing Goldilocks over something being too black or too death metal.

On the issue of semantics, it is technically called Blackened Death Metal... not Deathened Black Metal. :lol: So, my interpretation of the term says it would weigh more on the DM side (technical, decipherable riffing, etc.) , with some black metal influence (a la vocals, lyrical themes, dissonant chords, keyboards, etc.) Regardless, I'd consider a lot of what was posted in here to either fit the bill or at least be in the same ballpark.

Inazone

Reaction score
Dissection, seriously. "Unhallowed" would be a prime example. But can't post clips from work, so . . . yeah.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. Very much so. Where I disagree with the debate is everyone playing Goldilocks over something being too black or too death metal.

On the issue of semantics, it is technically called Blackened Death Metal... not Deathened Black Metal. :lol: So, my interpretation of the term says it would weigh more on the DM side (technical, decipherable riffing, etc.) , with some black metal influence (a la vocals, lyrical themes, dissonant chords, keyboards, etc.) Regardless, I'd consider a lot of what was posted in here to either fit the bill or at least be in the same ballpark.

I'd say a lot of it fits the bill. I'm hesitant to label Nile that, but their early work I could definitely see it.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
Dissection:

I don't give a fuck what anyone says, Dissection is NOT black metal :lol: They're something different. I'd almost not classify them as blackened death... but they definitely have the influence, and they're more melodic death. One of those harder to classify bands.

That's it for now, I just scrolled through my music library and picked out a few.

Yeah, there's really nothing else to do with them. You're right about them not being black metal (just as Cradle of Filth never were), as the confines you must remain inside of that the metal community has established for black metal are small (for most people it means blast beasts and dissonant music 99% of the time, and for some it means that PLUS the need to be anti-christian and record yourself in a forest on the shittiest handheld recorder you can find). Personally, i have a hard time classifying ANY newer bands as pure black metal, even if they fit the bill musically, as it's just as much fitting into a scene/image as the content of the music.

For instance, Abigail Williams's music is predominantly black metal oriented, but I know that if I made a thread proclaiming them as the greatest black metal band today, i'd probably set a shitstorm in motion (regardless of whether think they suck or not).

So for all intents and purposes, Dissection is indeed Blackened Death Metal.

I think all that's really needed is for one band to have influences from both

In most cases, i agree.

I only say most cases because if i labeled Wintersun "Symphonic Melodic Folkish-Death Metal with Power Metal influences" in my iTunes, they'd be one of like 3. Not very handy for making playlists :lol:

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
I shall second your Dissection vid with another (and not just because it's my username). Ironically, the info for this vid says "Best Black Metal song EVER!" :lol:

shredfreak

Reaction score
Thread needs more dissection

Can't say i'm much of a blackmetal fan though, i usually avoid it like the plague. Apart from emperor that spins on a regular basis :hbang:

')