Blackheart Loomis, Stage one

• Thread starter SevenDeadly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

reptillion

Reaction score
I hate to say it dude, it was an awesome concept and could have looked cool, but IMO the black looks way too much like clay or matte, especially on the horns.
Lucky you though for having a unique guitar, and if you like it, thats all that matters. Also goes great with the inlays.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Looks the wrong way round, would be better if the lines were darker rather than lighter.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
wow that looks absolutely horrid!! way to ruin a loomis there bro congrats!

lol j/k

gatesofcarnage

The Canada
Reaction score
That is fucking beautiful! congrats on making a loomis that doesn't make me want a big mac and fries!

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
sorry for the bad photos, getting strings tomorrow!

l_88717d7af9174924bdc510a2975abd91.jpg

l_885a3d3e06e741ee8770c35ff5e0f47f.jpg

l_a0497353f2ca433d98af3e1559880b53.jpg

If that were my guitar I'd probably change the finish again. :2c:

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
it looks like it's not done yet, that's all.

there are a ton of steps to doing it right (i don't know them though), but I remember watching a PRS shop tour on comcast On Demand, and the amount of care that went into sanding, staining, sanding, staining, etc. then buffing, clear coating, buffing, clear coating, etc. was insane. The key ingredient to all of this is time and patience.

i think it was PRS... i'm not too sure. Or it could have been Noodles' description of Rob (KXK's) process, or some DIY site I've seen..... whatever teh case... it's a lot more repetition than 2 coats of stain and 2 coats of clear.

I don't think you ruined it - but, IMO, it does look 'incomplete' thus far.

the beauty is that you can keep trying over and over again. Nothing is permanent.

this is hindsite.... but next time, do samples on scrap wood first.... many pieces of wood, and take notes on the process for each sample. then at the end, you'll have your fav to pick from and know exactly the steps you took to get there.

ps - leaving the headstock untouched was a stellar move. that black hardware on top of maple is a favorite color scheme for me.

Gregk

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree with the others here and say do another refinish. It just looks really blotchy and whatnot.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
yeah totally dented. just sand it down and make a flat top loomis. nobody will notice.

Tristoner7

Reaction score
Cool concept and can't blame you for trying it out but I would get it refinished, not liking it too much, sorry bro.

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
However if you want it to look fairly cool again, sand off the stain, make it all perfect again, sharp edges 'n stuff, and just put a real pretty ash veneer on there, stain it alot more, maybe combine it with dark red, just to compensate for the maple, because i think it's incomplete with the maple parts.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
^^it would be tough to put a veneer on top of that body, as it is arched and carved. you'd have to have a vacuum press and stuff....

most importantly, OP, how do YOU like the guitar? that's all that matters, really!

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Can't really say much from those photos man, they aren't very high quality. Perhaps some more? It looks quite nice in the first one, not so much the second two.

nordhauser06

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not liking it thus far. My advice would be to sand it down and try again. You have a lot more sanding ahead of you. Sanding is the most important process; no matter how long it takes and how much of a pain the ass it is, you get what you put into it. As others have said, you need to sand until it's perfect. That's true. The staining is the last thing to worry about. Speaking from experience, painting and staining just magnifies imperfections.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
^yeah, i found that info out the hard way! my recently finished RG7421 project (green stain) has a few rough spots on it that are bugging me. i didn't spend a ton of time sanding on the inside of the horns and on the sides of the guitar. i figured the stain and poly would hopefully smooth it all out, and i was wrong!

although, i still stick with my original post: if you like it, fuck it! :)

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think you ruined it - but, IMO, it does look 'incomplete' thus far.

This.

If you want a good resource for finishing a guitar, I have the "Paint your own guitar with spray cans" book, and it has VERY good information on the finishing process. Check it out!

Latest posts

')