Blackmachine B6's (No Longer) Available

• Thread starter mhickman2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
I was gunna order one 3 or 4 years ago for 1049, until I played one.

They're not really my sorta thing anyway... I too think they (B6's) all look the same :-S

EDIT: Just saw techno's post, just pointing out they did used to be much less however. I'll edit the post if you want.
What changed your mind when you played it? :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I feel like I might be mobbed for this, but here goes...

It was too thin, which isn't the end of the world, but I like nice round necks and it just didn't sit well in my hands, something I could get used to if it was the only issue but alas...
It sounded very bright and lacked that real warmth I like. Granted this isn't the first guitar a jazzy player would go for anyway, but I played one in my metal days and it just didn't sound thick at all. It was very clear, and low notes it the amp really hard (I alternated between standard, dadgbe, and aadgbe). The pickups sounded like they were trying to make up for it but... Meh... If you want low tunings and clarity and tightness, then great, but for everything else this didn't do it for me. Yes, I know the guitar is a niche and not advertised as a jack of all trades...
The finish, though very very good, and this is going to sound odd, was almost too clean. Everything was perfect, like a German car. All the right-angles, contours, binding, the metal plate on the back. It was very hard, very modern, and very simplistic. Very cool indeed again if that's your thing, but it didn't have that flare or mojo (two of the most vague terms known to man). It didn't feel like I was playing a truly special musical instrument as much as much as a well engineered tool for the craft. Ok it's got some neat woods and design ideas, but some of the most impractical guitars i've tried have also been the most fun. Not saying I'd buy the incredibly impractical ones either.

I'm not a traditionalist by any means, I like Jackson USA, Jems and UV's, debated an rg2228 on more than one occasion. I like traditional strats, but I also like the RGA121 I tried with a set of BKP's.

For some reason that day, even at 1049 and despite it being a b2 not even a b6 that I tried; as well as it played, I didn't connect with it. I have the same problem with PRS, but in a different way.

It really does feel like a tool or a work of modern art rather than what I'd usually call a guitar. Not a major criticism, and they're good to play and fantastically made, just really not for me. I dunno, a guitar's really an extension of the player, and the blackmachine is more like a bionic arm than an organic limb to me - freakiest metaphor ever.

I nearly said it's like the difference between Axe FX and a valve amp, but a) it's not the quite the same, and b) let's not start that argument again!

Guitarholic

Booyah!
Reaction score
I feel like I might be mobbed for this, but here goes...

It was too thin, which isn't the end of the world, but I like nice round necks and it just didn't sit well in my hands, something I could get used to if it was the only issue but alas...
It sounded very bright and lacked that real warmth I like. Granted this isn't the first guitar a jazzy player would go for anyway, but I played one in my metal days and it just didn't sound thick at all. It was very clear, and low notes it the amp really hard (I alternated between standard, dadgbe, and aadgbe). The pickups sounded like they were trying to make up for it but... Meh... If you want low tunings and clarity and tightness, then great, but for everything else this didn't do it for me. Yes, I know the guitar is a niche and not advertised as a jack of all trades...
The finish, though very very good, and this is going to sound odd, was almost too clean. Everything was perfect, like a German car. All the right-angles, contours, binding, the metal plate on the back. It was very hard, very modern, and very simplistic. Very cool indeed again if that's your thing, but it didn't have that flare or mojo (two of the most vague terms known to man). It didn't feel like I was playing a truly special musical instrument as much as much as a well engineered tool for the craft. Ok it's got some neat woods and design ideas, but some of the most impractical guitars i've tried have also been the most fun. Not saying I'd buy the incredibly impractical ones either.

I'm not a traditionalist by any means, I like Jackson USA, Jems and UV's, debated an rg2228 on more than one occasion. I like traditional strats, but I also like the RGA121 I tried with a set of BKP's.

For some reason that day, even at 1049 and despite it being a b2 not even a b6 that I tried; as well as it played, I didn't connect with it. I have the same problem with PRS, but in a different way.

It really does feel like a tool or a work of modern art rather than what I'd usually call a guitar. Not a major criticism, and they're good to play and fantastically made, just really not for me. I dunno, a guitar's really an extension of the player, and the blackmachine is more like a bionic arm than an organic limb to me - freakiest metaphor ever.

I nearly said it's like the difference between Axe FX and a valve amp, but a) it's not the quite the same, and b) let's not start that argument again!

Well, not everybody has the same taste and there is nothing wrong with that!!! For example, I am the complete opposite. I love the fact that the B6 was so "perfect" as you said it: "Everything was perfect, like a German car. All the right-angles, contours, binding, the metal plate on the back. It was very hard, very modern, and very simplistic."

So you'd actually hate my guitars, hahahaha:

-1-5.jpg

Yes Meesh, I replaced the string ;)

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm another that just doesn't 'get' Blackmachines. I played the F8 at a show a number of years ago through a Diezel. I wasn't blown away by it. A well made guitar for sure but I don't get the fuss, I think any good luthier could make a guitar just like it.

They do look great but I didn't get a kick out of playing one.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
I think a B8 is hardly comparable to a B2 or B6. I've never found an eight string that I've actually liked. I certainly can see fun's point though. They really do feel like works of art. At first, I was sort of scared to dig in and really play it. When I got over that, it really rewarded me with a tone and growl that I'd never experienced in a guitar before. Obviously, not everyone has the same taste in guitars. My taste just happen to be everything that a blackmachine is.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Well, not everybody has the same taste and there is nothing wrong with that!!! For example, I am the complete opposite. I love the fact that the B6 was so "perfect" as you said it: "Everything was perfect, like a German car. All the right-angles, contours, binding, the metal plate on the back. It was very hard, very modern, and very simplistic."

So you'd actually hate my guitars, hahahaha:

pic of two stupidly cool guitars

Yes Meesh, I replaced the string ;)

Cheers :D

Hate is absolutely the wrong word, I think they're fabulous things, PRS too, but for me as my every day instrument they don't sit right. I can completely understand the appeal with Blackmachine. The finish on your Tremonti is mind blowing!

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Fuck you guys, I think they're absolutely breathtaking. :fawk:

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Definitely some of the finest guitars ever made in my opinion. They play like a dream!
-Brent

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Bulb's koa B2 was one of the best guitars I've played in his massive, ever-changing collection. Thing sounds HUGE! :yesway:

bulb

Reaction score
Bulb's koa B2 was one of the best guitars I've played in his massive, ever-changing collection. Thing sounds HUGE! :yesway:

The B2 is on a whole nother level, nothing compares, nothing at all. Doug still maintains that my personal one is his favorite build, which is why he is building a twin of it haha.
We are trying to make my B7 its 7 string brother for this reason, it is absolute perfection in a guitar.

The B6 is definitely not on that level, but is nonetheless an amazing guitar, and particularly a phenomenal live guitar (as my B2 and upcoming B7 will be for recording ONLY)
It has a very direct and punchy sound with a lot of midrange which works so well for me, is effortless to play and weighs nothing, and yet sounds like it weighs a lot haha, plus it is super resonant, and that kind of tactile feedback is always appreciated in a live scenario!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, enough bickering bullshit.

7SoH you're one post from getting banned with that last one, since you seem to follow Misha around just to troll
Misha cool it as well
Cody you can knock it off as well since you were hot for a BM until your order didn't work out

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
It has a very direct and punchy sound with a lot of midrange which works so well for me, is effortless to play and weighs nothing, and yet sounds like it weighs a lot haha, plus it is super resonant, and that kind of tactile feedback is always appreciated in a live scenario!

I found pretty much the same thing.

Really is a taste thing, I knew that 'poke' that these guitars seem to be particularly good at would suit this kind of playing.

I know what you mean about the resonance, I think the B2 I played has an Ebony (looked like it haha) top and you could feel the whole guitar vibrate, a similar sensation to say a semi hollow or chambered guitar.

I'd never try and put anyone off buying one of these, they're amazing things.

If they made a full thickness one with a fatter neck I'd be first in line to try one out.

Guitarholic

Booyah!
Reaction score
The B2 is on a whole nother level, nothing compares, nothing at all. Doug still maintains that my personal one is his favorite build, which is why he is building a twin of it haha.
We are trying to make my B7 its 7 string brother for this reason, it is absolute perfection in a guitar.

The B6 is definitely not on that level, but is nonetheless an amazing guitar, and particularly a phenomenal live guitar (as my B2 and upcoming B7 will be for recording ONLY)

It is like Misha and Matt said. The B2 is ... out of this world. I feel very fortunate that I had a chance to try out this beauty of a guitar. :shred:

And the B6 is soooo effortless to play. Got mine last Friday and this thing lets me shred without trying, I love it (love you Meesh). Plus, I think this is the most articulate sounding guitar I've ever played. No room for sloppy playing! I think the only other guitar that had that instant "sit-down-play-it-love-it" feel to it for me is the MusicMan Petrucci.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
It is like Misha and Matt said. The B2 is ... out of this world. I feel very fortunate that I had a chance to try out this beauty of a guitar. :shred:

And the B6 is soooo effortless to play. Got mine last Friday and this thing lets me shred without trying, I love it (love you Meesh). Plus, I think this is the most articulate sounding guitar I've ever played. No room for sloppy playing! I think the only other guitar that had that instant "sit-down-play-it-love-it" feel to it for me is the MusicMan Petrucci.

My question for you is why is there no NGD for your B6? There's an invisible binding contract that comes with a Blackmachine that says, "He/She who buys a Blackmachine is hereby obligated to 1)play the fuck out of it. 2) read rule 1. 3) post an NGD with several good pictures and give a bio on the guitar on ss.org.

Guitarholic

Booyah!
Reaction score
My question for you is why is there no NGD for your B6? There's an invisible binding contract that comes with a Blackmachine that says, "He/She who buys a Blackmachine is hereby obligated to 1)play the fuck out of it. 2) read rule 1. 3) post an NGD with several good pictures and give a bio on the guitar on ss.org.

Won't have time for that until next week. Still in the middle of moving. There's a picture on page one of this thread and some more here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/st...top-brazillian-fretboard-56k-my-pary-you.html

bulb

Reaction score
I found pretty much the same thing.

Really is a taste thing, I knew that 'poke' that these guitars seem to be particularly good at would suit this kind of playing.

I know what you mean about the resonance, I think the B2 I played has an Ebony (looked like it haha) top and you could feel the whole guitar vibrate, a similar sensation to say a semi hollow or chambered guitar.

I'd never try and put anyone off buying one of these, they're amazing things.

If they made a full thickness one with a fatter neck I'd be first in line to try one out.

Yeah dude, it is definitely focused to a certain kind of player and sound, which is why i would never blindly recommend a Blackmachine. Hell i didnt give two shits about em till i actually played Nolly's B2.
Some will dig em some wont, just like with EVERY other guitar brand out there haha!

Guitarholic

Booyah!
Reaction score
Yeah dude, it is definitely focused to a certain kind of player and sound, which is why i would never blindly recommend a Blackmachine. Hell i didnt give two shits about em till i actually played Nolly's B2.
Some will dig em some wont, just like with EVERY other guitar brand out there haha!

+1

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, enough bickering bullshit.

7SoH you're one post from getting banned with that last one, since you seem to follow Misha around just to troll
Misha cool it as well
Cody you can knock it off as well since you were hot for a BM until your order didn't work out

finally playing one was a big contributing factor to me canceling my order. the lofty pedestal I had placed it on crumbled in all of two minutes playing time. iirc my deposit eventually was picked up by Bulb, so I'm glad somebody who really likes blackmachines ended up with it..

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score

+1

Precisely! It's just another custom shop; all the great thing that come with that, but still totally individual.

')