Blackmachine F8 (Big pictures alert)

• Thread starter -Nolly-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Righty, then I guess the 55mm I spec'd for my upcoming custom was pretty correct :yesway: I don't like very narrow nuts as I can't play chords comfortably with them. I was thinking it might be too wide actually with the fanned frets, but if the 51mm still feels narrow, then I'm sure it'll be fine.

Interesting, glad that was helpful.
I've gotta say though, having got used to the narrow spacing on the F8, the economy of movement that it allows is very addictive.

Thanks to everyone that has commented!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
yes he is (just read a few posts up :p) :p

ah, i managed to miss the last few posts on the 3rd page, they just updated right past me.

i wish i could take an 8 string to school...

i wish i had a reason to take an 8 string to school...

if you´re messing with me using the ":p" smileys way too much, that´s a nasty habit msn messenger infused into my muscle memory in junior high. :D

march

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the pics, really awesome instrument

I saw you posted the nut width as 51mm and said the string spacing is narrower, if I may ask, could you take a caliper or some ruler to it and measure the string spacing at the nut and bridge ? That'd be awesome.

Reason is, I have been looking at the non-parallel FretFind 2D calculator a lot lately (toying with the idea of building myself a guitar) but the exact string spacing measurement has been eluding me. Even tried calculating using the Kahler bridges specs on their website, but it's all too approximate. This one got me dying to know ! :wavey:

cheers !

Last edited:

bulb

Reaction score
ah, i managed to miss the last few posts on the 3rd page, they just updated right past me.

i wish i could take an 8 string to school...

i wish i had a reason to take an 8 string to school...

if you´re messing with me using the ":p" smileys way too much, that´s a nasty habit msn messenger infused into my muscle memory in junior high. :D

aw its ok, its all jokeyjokes, besides i say "haha" every third word haha!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
aw its ok, its all jokeyjokes, besides i say "haha" every third word haha!

i wasn´t hurt, hence the use of a grinning emoticon at the end there, see?

also, i updated my user title to more accurately reflect my nagging nature on the forums :D

it´s all done with lurb!

(also, shouldn´t that read "aw its haha ok, its haha all jokeyjokes haha, besides i haha say "haha" haha every third haha word haha!" then? :p)

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Is a deposit required to get on the waiting list? I emailed Doug last week and he hasn't replied yet. Probably because he is insanely busy. But if it doesn't require any deposit I'll get on the list right away since I'll have enough for a guitar from him by 2010 for sure.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
bulb and mf make me laugh:lol:

see? if you bother someone for long enough, they end up being friends with you! :D

*bothers society*

at least i still have a sense of self-irony about it, eh? :p

Is a deposit required to get on the waiting list? I emailed Doug last week and he hasn't replied yet. Probably because he is insanely busy. But if it doesn't require any deposit I'll get on the list right away since I'll have enough for a guitar from him by 2010 for sure.

since people sell their "slots" every once and again, i think you pay for what you order, and then he makes it when he comes as far as you (After clearing up changes of mind or new ownes, hah!)

-Nolly-

Reaction score

Nope, the waiting list is no-obligation. No deposit required until just before Doug starts building you guitar.
The people (I think it's just one person actually) selling their spots were from the previous waiting list system, where a deposit was needed to secure the place.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
since people sell their "slots" every once and again, i think you pay for what you order, and then he makes it when he comes as far as you (After clearing up changes of mind or new ownes, hah!)

AFAIK that was just me since I was disappointed by the blackmachine I played among other reasons.. don't bank on it happening again :lol:

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Apparently a few B6 slots changed hands too, but they were more along the lines of refunds paid & next person on the list contacted.

And I ceratinly hope that he's too busy building stuff for me to answer mere mortals' e-mails! :lol:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Hey, that´s pretty cool! if he´s not taking deposits, it´ll be easier to decide to get one. problem is, the lists might get totally flooded with undecided people who can´t really raise the cash :p

obiwan

Reaction score
Apparently a few B6 slots changed hands too, but they were more along the lines of refunds paid & next person on the list contacted.

And I ceratinly hope that he's too busy building stuff for me to answer mere mortals' e-mails! :lol:

yes, he takes some time to reply, and sometimes no answer comes at all. just keep trying...

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Hey, that´s pretty cool! if he´s not taking deposits, it´ll be easier to decide to get one. problem is, the lists might get totally flooded with undecided people who can´t really raise the cash :p

The 'people' side of the business is his least favourite for reasons like this, let's put it like that! :D Email also isn't the best way to contact him about specifics, but if you've asked to be put on the list you're on the list. Don't worry, but don't hold your breath either! ;)

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
I've held this guitar (upside down being a lefty freak), it sounds incredible, looks incredible and... well, is just incredible. Def going fanned if I ever get an 8.

bulb

Reaction score
I've held this guitar (upside down being a lefty freak), it sounds incredible, looks incredible and... well, is just incredible. Def going fanned if I ever get an 8.

i have held it as well, and frankly...it sold me! ...literally!!

')