Blackmachine F8 (Big pictures alert)

• Thread starter -Nolly-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
The thing I noticed most was the neck, I couldn't believe it was a 8-string, it felt a bit wider than my 7 but if anything was thinner. One of the few times I wished I was right-handed so I could have had a play on it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i have held it as well, and frankly...it sold me! ...literally!!

who got you?

how much did they give for you?

but on a serious note, i´m wondering what the chambered-part of the construction adds to the sound (like, versus a non-chambered one). i´m pretty sure it adds a certain resonance that probably sounds awesome for leads and stuff. amirite?

i´d be scared to get a chambered guitar without being 100% sure beforehand, i´m too skeptical of what it entails (feedback? unfavourable loss of tightness?)
i´m sure there´s nothing negative about it though, i mean doug actually decided to make it that way, and on an 8 string too... so there´s gotta be something to it! :p

Yen

Reaction score
Awsome guitar Nolly, the fretboard on it must be from the same batch of wood as my B8.

8486d1222457798-blackmachine-8-on-the-bay-blackmachine.jpg

Do you know where Doug gets the custom string sets made?

Nick

Reaction score
here were you at the meshuggah gig in the garage sporting a blackmachine tshirt?

bulb

Reaction score
who got you?

how much did they give for you?

but on a serious note, i´m wondering what the chambered-part of the construction adds to the sound (like, versus a non-chambered one). i´m pretty sure it adds a certain resonance that probably sounds awesome for leads and stuff. amirite?

i´d be scared to get a chambered guitar without being 100% sure beforehand, i´m too skeptical of what it entails (feedback? unfavourable loss of tightness?)
i´m sure there´s nothing negative about it though, i mean doug actually decided to make it that way, and on an 8 string too... so there´s gotta be something to it! :p

now i may be wrong because although doug explained this to me in detail i have terriboo memory, but i believe that it basically lightens the instrument whilst also enhancing resonance or sustain or something, but it definitely doesnt affect tightness or anything (in all honesty i think thats more down to the pickups anyways)
but keep in mind that modern les pauls are chambered as well for the very same reasons so you can always try one of those to see if you can see any downsides to chambered guitars...
at any rate if you are actually serious about getting one, you could always call or email doug!

-Nolly-

Reaction score
As Misha says, the chambering changes the resonance of the body though the exact difference is very difficult to describe in words. It is not the same as a semi-hollow design though, you don't get and feedback issues, and it certainly doesn't affect tightness.

Awsome guitar Nolly, the fretboard on it must be from the same batch of wood as my B8.

8486d1222457798-blackmachine-8-on-the-bay-blackmachine.jpg

Yeah, it's probably the same piece.
The strings Doug uses are these: Welcome to Newtone Strings. There are several options though, so you'd need to speak to Doug to find out the specs he goes for.

Nick said:
here were you at the meshuggah gig in the garage sporting a blackmachine tshirt?
Yen said:

Me neither I'm afraid.

Nick

Reaction score

i just remember seeing a guy walking about with a blackmachine tshirt on. its not something you see regularly in glasgow. most folk who play guitar wouldnt know or have heard the name before.

obiwan

Reaction score

Hy Yen, your guitar looks really amazing, everything seems just perfect on what I can see!! Congratulations!!

This is what Doug answered when I asked him about the strings: "When I designed the 8 there was nothing except for bass strings available, which do not provide the best tone for guitar. So I develeloped my own set of 8 matched guitar strings, 8-11-15-22-32-42-60-80 tuning standard with low B and F#. You can tune lower. I think D'Addario make suitable strings also."

Personally I will first have to try how a 80gauge feels and sounds on a 28" scale, and then decide whether going for thinner strings or not.

Some here in the forum suggested also:www.juststring.com.

obiwan

Reaction score
Wow!!

Don't think I will need that, but it must sound massive!! May I ask you where you get your strings from (just in case)?

thanks

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
i just remember seeing a guy walking about with a blackmachine tshirt on. its not something you see regularly in glasgow. most folk who play guitar wouldnt know or have heard the name before.

So true! :lol:

bulb

Reaction score
dude as far as what i look for in a guitar, doug makes the best instruments out there, period! (full stop! for you british folk)
I played this guitar when i last went to the uk and the feel and playability sold me on the guitar, i was just waiting for doug to sell and for the funds to collect hehe!

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
YAY! IM BUYING THIS GUITAR!!
Nolly take care of it for me in the meantime!!

Hmm, I was wondering why you mentioned in your Rg2228 ad that you need the money for a Blackmachine :lol: So this is it then? Because IIRC you already had the B6 at that point?

bulb

Reaction score
Hmm, I was wondering why you mentioned in your Rg2228 ad that you need the money for a Blackmachine :lol: So this is it then? Because IIRC you already had the B6 at that point?

nah that was for the b6, i have been recording bands, saving up, and selling some shit to get this one haha!

')