Blackmachine pickups

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I'll find the specs later but they are mid output, Doug prefers lower output pickups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I'm really interested in trying the bridge pickup for high-gain stuff, I haven't had an Alnico pickup sound perfect for it, and the ceramics I've tried (admittedly, not a ton) tend to get a bit shrill. Does this model sound like any other BKP/SD/etc pickup, or is it it's pretty much it's own thing?

Probably close to whatever Doug puts in his personal guitar(s). I used to know this...mule and coldsweat or something? That said I personally think BKPs aren't quite up to snuff with other boutique winders, so if ASL is just building a tweaked mule/coldsweat it could still be noticeably different/better.

Purelojik

Reaction score
i remember seeing pin and leah's blackmachines with these in them. they look cool but yea pups are getting expensive. i'll stick with Aaron/Blackwaters neo modern, or dimarzio's dominions.

jjcor

Reaction score
I have a b6 with a coldsweat bridge / painkiller neck, do you think these will make that much of a difference? I'm really looking into them.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Given the price and variety of offerings of Seymour Duncan, Di Marzio and Lace pickups, I can't see why someone whould pay 400$ for a pair of pickups.
The only expensive pickup I own is a M6 that got it's way in my amfisound because they came standard with it. It's a good pickup but nothing justifies it costing twice the price of a SD at retail.

witeter

Reaction score
I tried them at the British Guitar Show last week and chatted to Doug about them. I liked them, even though the bridge magnet is Alnico it had very good tightness and seemed very well rounded. Doug basically wanted to make a bridge pickup that tracked like a ceramic whilst still retaining the warmth of an Alnico magnet. The neck is indeed great for cleans.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Going to collect a B6 with BM pickups from Doug today. Will report back later

Maniacal

Reaction score
Update: Yep. It's that good. And yep. The pickups sound ridiculous.

narad

Reaction score
Then you owe us a video ;-)

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Hideous pickup bobbins :( I get the look they're going for but it just looks cheap and bad imo.

Definitely not my thing, especially for that price.

narad

Reaction score
Hideous pickup bobbins :( I get the look they're going for but it just looks cheap and bad imo.

You can just get them with covers.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score

So tone/sound be damned, if they looked cool you'd have no problem with the price?

')