Blackmachine/Skervesen Raptor (or clone) owners: Did you find your guitar uncomfortable at first?

minusnine

Let's thrash, che!
Reaction score
After a year of waiting, I got my Skervesen Raptor clone delivered to me. The thing is masterfully crafted and is virtually flawless. It may as well be one of the best guitars I've ever played.

The only problem is that I never played a Blackmachine or Raptor body styled guitar before ordering, so the moment I first a played a riff on it a big problem became evident: The arm cut (or lack of) is unnerving to me, and I often find myself either sitting in weird positions or getting cramps on my right forearm or shoulder.

I'm mostly a Thrash guitarist, so I'm always chugging, and it just doesn't feel natural. I feel like I endure a lot more while playing regular superstrats.

I find it weird that this kind of guitars is adored in the djent/progressive communities, and I've never heard or read of anyone complaining about this. Maybe someone jumping from a strat to a telecaster may feel the same way?.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Or maybe I'm just nitpicking? Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it?

For reference, here's a picture of the whole guitar:
89832660_2857534057649730_6903537802307174400_o.jpg

and close up of the small arm cut
87675350_2857535117649624_7778496591249276928_o.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
To my eye, while the chamfer is somewhat subdued compared to a wide bevel like a Kiesel Aries, or a curved forearm contour like a Strat, it still seems miles better than most PRSs, all Les Pauls (except SGs), and just about every acoustic..

Last edited:

A-Branger

Reaction score
I got couple of Ormsby's Hypes and got no problem with the small bevel. My main(and only) guitar for many years was an Iceman, so Im comfortable with no bevel "square" guitars

guitareddie

Reaction score
Yep, that was exactly the reason why I sold my Ormsby HypeGTR, which has the same body style. Great guitar overall, but I could not get over the lack of forearm contour.

nerozume

Reaction score
Maybe you need to get used to the guitar. How long do you have it?
Not really ever considered guitars without arm cut uncomfortable - but that's my taste in guitars in overall.
Maybe that's your thing you need to have in your guitars! :)

Reactions: fps

Musiscience

Reaction score
Different people will have a different playing styles and preferences. I have no problem at all with my Duvell for example and it is a straight flat top.

That being said, it's true that some guitars are more comfortable than other. When I say that the original JP6 comes to mind.

MSS

Reaction score
I have a Raptor 7 and did not notice any comfort issues when I first got it. I think mine is a steeper angle though and does not come to a point at the bottom.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Different people will have a different playing styles and preferences. I have no problem at all with my Duvell for example and it is a straight flat top.

That being said, it's true that some guitars are more comfortable than other. When I say that the original JP6 comes to mind.

100% agree with this, some people hate the old design Duvells or Regius's because of this - It didn't bother me that much personally though.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I noticed that when I got my Merrow 7 Mk3 but i became used to it pretty quickly. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I've played a lot of Teles in my time and you get used to it. That said, none of my current guitars have a square edge up there.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
I find Blackmachines are the most all around comfortable guitars I've played.

Captastic

Reaction score
I ordered a Skerveson similar to yours. Waited 6 months. Super stoked. Beautiful guitar. Excited unboxing. My god what an uncomfortable guitar. Not just the body but the squarish D neck profile. Sold that ish...never looked back.

Chebax

Reaction score
Yeah, I own a Raptor 7 and I know exactly what you mean. This happens also with my PRS.

I guess this depends a lot on each persons playing style and arm position. For some people it’s not a problem while for others it’s a dealbreaker.

For me, I got somehow used to it. But I must admit that whenever I switch back to my old RG550 it makes me remember how a really confortable guitar feels like. It’s like wearing a pair of old sneakers.

bzhang9

Reaction score
yeah you can get used to it, you can get used to pretty much any guitar if you play it long enough

but why force people to get used to it when they can just put a contour like a normal guitar? IMO this is classic sacrificing function to look cool, poor design. Like when mayones realized the messed up on the regius after all these years.

Those saying PRS, this is not the same, A carved top guitar essentially has the contour built in, a core PRS is very comfortable to play

Chebax

Reaction score
Those saying PRS, this is not the same, A carved top guitar essentially has the contour built in, a core PRS is very comfortable to play

Well, my US made PRS McCarty does have a rather sharp edge at the end of carved top. I love that guitar, but I wouldn’t say it’s specially comfortable for my right arm position.

I guess sometimes it’s ok to sacrifice ergonomics for the looks. Some of the best looking guitars out there are not so great in the ergonomics department.