Blackmachine website up

• Thread starter Goober
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea let's fight about it :lol:

There was a study done a while back that compared all the different neck construction techniques with otherwise identical guitars and bolt-on actually has the most sustain, followed by set-neck, with neck-through in last. The interesting thing was that the difference between the three is so small that you wouldn't really be able to tell.

Bolt-ons just get a bad rap from being on dirt cheap starter guitars with loose fitting neck-joints and other poor construction problems, and that going flat thing your talking about is called "bending the neck" by some people. Doesn't have anything to to with the joint.

Now the three construction methods do sound different and everyone has their own tone preferences so it's hard to say one is truly better (or worth more) than another :yesway:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Sorry to burst your bubble, bulb, but with my set-thrus, they have more sustain, and don't do that.

Whatever you say, irregardless YOU may not like bolt ons but its a solid method that plenty of people will back up.

Nothing wrong with bolt on.

toolsound

Reaction score
I've seen this debate 1,000 times over on harmony central and it's not really worth the effort. Some people have their preference, but in terms of tone/sustain, etc, they're all the same (bolt/thru/set). Neck thrus are probably the most comfortable. Bolt ons are the easiest to fix, modify, whatever. Set necks are somewhere inbetween. Ultimately it's just semantics.

Reaction score
I'll submit only to toolsound's comments about "it's just semantics". You prefer peanut butter [or bolt on in this case], and I prefer chocolate [set necks]. C'est la vie.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Well see the thing I like about Blackmachine is that he has these already pre-defined models that dominate. I'd go full custom, but I have no idea what kind of shape/materials I'd want to use, maybe the woods will sound bad together for whatever reason!

Doug only has a limited number of styles available - he's not a full-custom shop. His approach is that you're into what he does, or you aren't.

People have preference over neck joints. All have their advantages and disadvantages... for instance Doug/Blackmachine and PRS - for instance - don't do thru purely for tonal reasons (the neck wood tends to dominate thru neck's tones).

Best neck joint for access I've played is Carvin's thru on their 6 strings. It's ridiculously good for upper access. However I don't spend much time up the neck so this isn't an issue for me. Blackmachine is at least as good as Ibanez AANJ on a 7.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to burst your bubble, bulb, but with my set-thrus, they have more sustain, and don't do that.

This is starting to become tiring....

Its all about personal preferences, the day your guitar falls or has a smash at a gig when your performing live or for any other reason it may be damaged during the transport, you will be very happy to have a bolt on neck, because you will be able to have it fixed in no time. This is the reason why I personaly build bolt on necks because I like reversability....

Its got nothing to do with sound, its purely cosmetical, there is no best sounding or best building technique, its about what you like as a player....

And how can you state that your set - thrus as you call them have more sustain? This make no sens at all, for this you would need to have perfect clones to compare....

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Uh, i have had Thru necks, i own three set necks, and a bunch of bolt ons, and they ALL go flat when you turn them upside down or shake them or whatever.

Bolt/set/through argument = dumb

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
you know, my guitar bends out of tune if i lean it forward... because the floating tremolo is affected by friggin´ gravity. are you sure that´s not the case on your guitar as well? that it´s just the trem?

i´ve never encountered this problem on any non-tremmed guitar, but i have encountered it on ALL floating trem guitars...

and it´s your opinion against all the people who love these things to death, and most of them know their shit when it comes to high-end guitars. some people here even make them for a living, and have been taught at the best guitar building schools.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't mind him. He just goes thread to thread spreading douche baggery around ss.org.

Also, worth mentioning is that these guitars are actually CHEAPER than a lot of higher end production guitars if you're from the UK. They're different markets, and because the exchange rate of USD vs GBP is absolute shit doesn't mean these are over priced.

masterblaster

Reaction score
Also, worth mentioning is that these guitars are actually CHEAPER than a lot of higher end production guitars if you're from the UK. They're different markets, and because the exchange rate of USD vs GBP is absolute shit doesn't mean these are over priced.

If only I could work in the UK!!! Black Machine and Hufschmids are awesome!

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck that, I'd rather be able to get everything else at non ass raping prices than have a few companies that are a bit more affordable :lol: It's cheaper for us in the long run to buy a Blackmachine at $5000+ US and buy all our other gear here than if we lived over there :lol:

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Fuck that, I'd rather be able to get everything else at non ass raping prices than have a few companies that are a bit more affordable :lol: It's cheaper for us in the long run to buy a Blackmachine at $5000+ US and buy all our other gear here than if we lived over there :lol:

Haha, tell us about it!

:realmad:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'll submit only to toolsound's comments about "it's just semantics". You prefer peanut butter [or bolt on in this case], and I prefer chocolate [set necks]. C'est la vie.

Seriously, why are you even here?

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Fine by me.

Keep fighting with us so we won't have to listen to you much longer. :lol:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
look at Mesa prices over there, NO FUCKING THANK YOU

This is starting to become tiring....

Its all about personal preferences, the day your guitar falls or has a smash at a gig when your performing live or for any other reason it may be damaged during the transport, you will be very happy to have a bolt on neck, because you will be able to have it fixed in no time. This is the reason why I personaly build bolt on necks because I like reversability....

Its got nothing to do with sound, its purely cosmetical, there is no best sounding or best building technique, its about what you like as a player....

And how can you state that your set - thrus as you call them have more sustain? This make no sens at all, for this you would need to have perfect clones to compare....

i agree highly with this, i would keep my neckthru's at home for studio recording and local shows and jams, the bolt on's are what i'd take on tour, cus god knows i'm not endorsed for that shit

')