Blackout 7s

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting if seymour did a "money back" thing for these. Especially if people are going to have to dremel and clip the ears to make these things fit. Its one thing not to have to route your body, but if you are unhappy and cant return the pickup due to soldering or ear modification, its still going to be met with apprehension.

Just thinking it would be a way to guarentee people would be buying these. And have the retail prices of the sevens been released yet?

I doubt it. I don't see why they should, if you buy anything else and alter the appearance you can't return it right? ;) "Oh, this TV didn't fit in my media center, so I trimmed off the sides. I don't like it so I want my money back now... what do you mean I can't return it?!" :fawk: :lol: They *might* allow you to return the pickup for ANOTHER pickup still, but I doubt a full-refund would be smart on their part. Once you've altered it by trimming the ears (and let's say you did a less than stellar job...), if you don't dig it, they don't sell "used" modified pickups so they would get the shaft job since they can't sell it now. :shrug: Besides, people said they wanted Duncan to make standard-sized pickups and they did. A flat ear is standard for guitar pickups... DIMARZIO decided to make that diagonal ear idea their standard pickup. So really, you're modding the Duncan to DiMarzio spec, not "standard" spec. :agreed: :wub:

That said, I had to dremel down the ears to make my Blackout set fit into my Petrucci. I haven't been disappointed with them yet, and I'm not an EMG fan really. :cool:

Blackout_Picstory_Smaller_11.jpg

Blackout_Picstory_Smaller_17.jpg

I dig them! :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
I might have to try the Blackout. I've been an EMG guy for a while but I'm somewhat intrigued.

same here.

I wonder how it'll sound on the new Septor 7-27 that's coming out.

Also, does this provide high, clear low notes and good high solo notes? with EMG's, you switch to the back humbucker to get high clear low notes, but the high solo notes sound fucking treble-y and tinny.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
same here.

I wonder how it'll sound on the new Septor 7-27 that's coming out.

Also, does this provide high, clear low notes and good high solo notes? with EMG's, you switch to the back humbucker to get high clear low notes, but the high solo notes sound fucking treble-y and tinny.

How do you have a high low note? :scratch:

From my experience with the 6-string version is that the lows are LOUD and punchy, and the highs are similar to an EMG 81. :shrug:

DagMX

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of blackouts for my warlock 6 string. Can't wait till they arrive to replace the BDSM pickups.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Still waiting, it's like knowing they're coming, but really wanting a set now, as I really want a guitar with a set of axes. Without having to resort to my poor woodworking skills.

Hurry up guys! Or just send me some prototypes to slap in my 2027 (yeah, like that is EVER going to happen :D)

frank falbo

Reaction score
Man, I'm getting tired of waiting. :/ Where's Frank with our updates? :lol:

I've been out of town for the past week, and I'm just getting back today. So it's a busy day but I'll get as much of an update as possible. Worst case scenario is that I have a meeting Wednesday that should give me a full update.

Overall, the Blackout 7's are taking about as long as we had originally thought. But in the mean time we've all been working as hard and fast as we can to make it happen as soon as possible. The bigger issue is the Dino leak, the prototypes, and all the anticipation. Normally we would have waited longer to let the general public catch a glimpse of them, which would artificially shorten the wait time. In this case I felt it was better to share with you guys what was going on, since this is such a pivotal event in 7-string active history.

As for the returns, I don't know how we'll do it. The 21-day exchange says the pickup should be as new, so it's the same dilemma as if someone chops the ears off of a JB-7. All of you with Ibanez RG7's that had Japanese or Korean pickups should be fine. The ears on the Blackout 7's are rounded off like that. They're not squared off like an EMG. Only a guitar cut for triangle ears specific to Dimarzio will require routing or shaving down. I think we're still adhering to our culture of putting the people first, it's just a reality of how various guitars are built today.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Overall, the Blackout 7's are taking about as long as we had originally thought. But in the mean time we've all been working as hard and fast as we can to make it happen as soon as possible. The bigger issue is the Dino leak, the prototypes, and all the anticipation. Normally we would have waited longer to let the general public catch a glimpse of them, which would artificially shorten the wait time. In this case I felt it was better to share with you guys what was going on, since this is such a pivotal event in 7-string active history.

Thanks for the update. The wait time really isn't *that* bad, it's just the anticipation factor. I know I appreciate the fact that SD lets you give updates--most companies would just say "no comment."

Wound

Reaction score
I got this reply when I contacted Seymour Duncan about the blackout 7s:

"The 707 size 7 string will be out in 2 months....the dimarzio sized 7
string will be out in 4 months.

cheers"

I got this the 18th of september...so still got a few months to go...

frank falbo

Reaction score
I got this reply when I contacted Seymour Duncan about the blackout 7s:

"The 707 size 7 string will be out in 2 months....the dimarzio sized 7
string will be out in 4 months.

That's not entirely true anymore. We are targeting November 1st for BOTH sizes, but I am NOT promising you. Don't make me regret leaking some information, and DON'T go running off telling everybody either. :nono: If you didn't read it in this thread, you didn't hear it! :lol:

There are plenty of reasons that I shouldn't tell you this. The main reason is that anything can happen when you make your first production runs. And we do a lot of testing along the way to make certain our production units are exactly the same as our prototypes. There is no margin.

So all I am leaking is that November 1st is our internal target. Don't quote me on this either, but I believe that we are prepared to take pre-orders from dealers now as well. So if you contact your dealer and pre-order they can get on the list, and get a formal order placed.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I somehow think Frank is pretty sure that they'll be out by 11/1 or else he wouldn't have let it slip. ;)

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
Heh. "slip"

Anyways, Im gonna have to see if I can preorder these next time I head to the store :agreed:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, i was actually hoping they'd be out a little later so i could get some Holiday hours at work and have some extra dough.
There's always credit cards, though, i suppose :lol:

Latest posts

')