Blackout questions

• Thread starter mickytee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mickytee

Reaction score
In the blackout pickup set, which emgs are they supposed to be copies of?

is the neck pickup a copy of the 85 and is the bridge a copy of the 81?

what about the 7 string set? will the neck pickup in the 7 string set be a 707 copy or an 85 copy?

i hope you get what im asking
thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sinner

Ups! I did it again!
Reaction score
81/85? ...even if so...

From SD web site

description
The "other" USA-made active humbuckers use unbalanced inputs in a differential preamp. The problem is, an unbalanced differential preamp is not very effective at cancelling hum. Our engineers figured out how to capture the tone that players want in an active design, but using balanced inputs. The result is 12dB to 14dB less noise, plus more lows, more highs, and more output. Simply put, Blackouts have more tone than other active pickups.

Phil Jones

Reaction score
The Seymour Duncan "blackout" range of active pickups are not a copy of anything. Active pickups have been around for a lot longer than EMG who is the big kid on the block with regards to Active pickups. The Seymour Duncan black out range is completely different in almost everyway other than how they actually work compaired to normal (passive) pickups.

They do have a completley different tone in most respects and thier performance in the noise and frequncey response department is better (on paper) than anything EMG have released to date including the 81,85 and 707 range. The bottom line here is if your in the market for a active set of pickups, the advanrages being, higher output which is great for heavy distorded tones if thats your thing and crisp bright clean tones. Checkout the blackout range ALSO when shopping. At the end of the day it SHOULD come down to what tone you prefer rather than what your hero's seem to be playing the most ie, EMG. Having played Active EMG's for years i must admit the blackouts do sound gooooood. Not better, not worse, just different so a refreshing change, also keep i ming if your not too sure due to them simply not being EMG, how bad can they be?, they are made by Seymour Duncan which is 1 of the top 3 most prefered by professionals, pickups out there, the others being Dimarzio and EMG!

Great to see i now have anopther very viable option for a different choice when selecting new active pickups for a new axe!. Check out the new"Divine Heresy" new album to check what they sound like on a 7 or 8 string with Dino Cazares. Before you wonder too, no i dont work for Seymour Duncan.

Id say defo Check em out !