Blackouts - Routing/Install Thread

• Thread starter djpharoah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mjgg6

Reaction score
Please¡¡¡ Info needed, has anyone installed in an Agile, I want to replace the PU with blackouts.
And... are springs and screws included and blackouts pack? I think that I could not use the ones in my Agile.

Thanks.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Just installed em in my 727
Depthwise they fit perfect, and fit perfect into the lower ear (the squarish one with two screws). The top ear (triangle 1 screw) needs just a hair of routing to fit the corners of the tabs.
Theres less work to do installing blackouts than installing dimarzios

mjgg6

Reaction score
Just installed em in my 727
Depthwise they fit perfect, and fit perfect into the lower ear (the squarish one with two screws). The top ear (triangle 1 screw) needs just a hair of routing to fit the corners of the tabs.
Theres less work to do installing blackouts than installing dimarzios

Thanks a lot, then I´ll go for the pack.

Cheers.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, then I´ll go for the pack.

Cheers.

yuh - I think he meant Carvin DC727 and not the Agile Interceptor/Septor 27" aka "727".

I think that you should still be fine.

Scarpie

Reaction score
I just got done restringing my washburn wg 587 and something has to be wrong cause it sounds aweful. i used to have a very clear and crisp sound with old pickups very similar to that of "Demanufacture" or "Burn my Eyes" but now with the blackout, the guitar sounds dry and gritty have like something off of korn's "life is peachy" anyone here that can talk about the kind of tone they have and if my description sounds right. plus i lost alot of articulation in the lower register of the guitar, first six strings cut through just fine, but i have to add alot of mids to play on low A string. never had to do that before. old pickups were alot more balanced in that chords on the seventh string cut through just as easily as chords on the fifth and sixth strings. i don't know!!! i am not too pleased with my experience and wish to know if the pick ups just aren't for me or if i did something wrong.

i am used to changing guitars for tuning variations but with the tone staying consistent, when i plugged this in, it was like wow, do i want to play along to a korn record, or do i want to have my own sound back?

lowbass5

Reaction score
hello
i have a RG7321 with stock pickups, i just ordered a bridge SD blackout, can anyone tell me how to make the conections?
i will have to disable de stock neck pickup?
How to make the soldering if i only want to have only the volume pot..no tone pot no pickup switch..just a pickup and a pot.
thanks

Humanoid

Reaction score
hello
i have a RG7321 with stock pickups, i just ordered a bridge SD blackout, can anyone tell me how to make the conections?
i will have to disable de stock neck pickup?
How to make the soldering if i only want to have only the volume pot..no tone pot no pickup switch..just a pickup and a pot.
thanks

Well. The neck pickup may not work right with 25K pots, but there still is a way to use these together.

However, the most simpliest way is just to switch the volume pot and jack, then connect the pickup like in this:
Wiring Diagram

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
They fit in M-207 LTD's with no modifications required.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you who have the Phase 1's and are looking to get better pickup rings, Dave at Fretsonthenet made some up for me. They look fucking great, too. Pretty sure he can do other colors.

Blackjack1.jpg

Blackjack3.jpg

musicman2879

Reaction score
My friend got his axe trashed friday night at a gig. A platinum hellraiser broken in many peices!! So saturday when UPS arrived he sold me his custom order platinum colored Duncan phase II blackouts!!!. i have not got the c-7 i am thinking about using them in but i put a set of phase I blackouts in a jem and they had a better all around tone then most of the emg's i have played or heard. i have not played the 707's yet!! the Phase I fit the jem perfect but will the Phase II fit the C-7 just as smoothly???

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
My friend got his axe trashed friday night at a gig. A platinum hellraiser broken in many peices!! So saturday when UPS arrived he sold me his custom order platinum colored Duncan phase II blackouts!!!. i have not got the c-7 i am thinking about using them in but i put a set of phase I blackouts in a jem and they had a better all around tone then most of the emg's i have played or heard. i have not played the 707's yet!! the Phase I fit the jem perfect but will the Phase II fit the C-7 just as smoothly??? yes you can get pickups any color from duncan. As long as you call him uncle seymour!!! Hell he got me an Alt 8 sh-15 prototype last august and it didnt come out till 2,08. That things bad ass too man!!

:scratch:

so you put 7 string Blackouts in a 6 string? do you mean Universe instead of Jem? Phase I and Phase II only applies to the 7 string Blackouts.

if the C-7 has EMGs already, the Phase IIs are a direct replacement :yesway:. if not, you will have to route.

sPliNtEr_777

Reaction score
I fitted blackouts (phase I) to my BC Rich warlock P7 a few weeks ago and there was absolutely no problem with sizing, they fitted straight out of the box. However the pots were 0.5mm too big in diameter so i had to drill out the existing holes- a minor hitch.

Reaction score
i have an ibanez rg1527. i bought the phase 1 blackouts for them and now the guy whos doing the job for me is saying that they wont fit because the cavity for the pickups isnt deep enough. he said that routing out the cavity might jeopardize playability.
any suggestions?..
i was thinking of putting the phase 2 blackouts in since they're not as deep and routing sideways instead.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
i have an ibanez rg1527. i bought the phase 1 blackouts for them and now the guy whos doing the job for me is saying that they wont fit because the cavity for the pickups isnt deep enough. he said that routing out the cavity might jeopardize playability.
any suggestions?..
i was thinking of putting the phase 2 blackouts in since they're not as deep and routing sideways instead.

How the hell would it jeopardise playability?

He needs to route down 5~6mm.

Then you can have it like this:

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Reaction score
@stitch
it seems under the neck pickup cavity there is a support piece for the neck which he said he will have to route into there by destabalizing the neck. i dont know how true this is cos he may not know what that peice is actually for. is that a rg 1527 btw cos ive never seen it in that colour.
thanks a ton for the snaps man .this is really going to help cos now i can show him this and ask him what the hell was he thinking...:D

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
For those of you who have the Phase 1's and are looking to get better pickup rings, Dave at Fretsonthenet made some up for me. They look fucking great, too. Pretty sure he can do other colors.

Blackjack1.jpg

Blackjack3.jpg

That looks fantastic. :yesway:

')