Blackouts wiring push/pull help

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
Jumper? Then again I've never wired active pickups. The wiring diagrams on their website should suffice though.

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
I'm not totally clear what you're asking. What are you planning on wiring to a push/pull pot?

The Seymour Duncan ahb-2 blackouts essentially have 2 pins on the underside of the pickup that you connect a wire to which changes the output and makes it have more gain, there is a way or wiring it to miniswitches and such but I have no idea how to apply this to a pull/push.

flint757

Reaction score
Read up on how a DPDT switch works and it will clear some of that up for you. I'd help more, but I've never done that before...Just remember that the push/pull function is completely independent of the pot itself.

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
Read up on how a DPDT switch works and it will clear some of that up for you. I'd help more, but I've never done that before...Just remember that the push/pull function is completely independent of the pot itself.

Thankyou, this was quite helpful.

The part which is confusing me the most is HOW to connect it up to the rest of the setup, I realise it probably needs to be connected to the battery somehow, but will the volume power do that or will I need a separate power because it's "completely independent" :ugh:

I am really sorry for all the stupid questions also, I'm honestly just terrible with this aspect of guitars.

flint757

Reaction score
Okay, first what are your intentions? 1 vol 1 tone and a 3 way switch? or do you have something else in mind? The pickups will connect directly with a battery and then your ground will go to the output jack I know that much. I just need a little more info from you.

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
Okay, first what are your intentions? 1 vol 1 tone and a 3 way switch? or do you have something else in mind? The pickups will connect directly with a battery and then your ground will go to the output jack I know that much. I just need a little more info from you.

I'm planning on cutting down to just a vol and a 3way switch for simplicity.

Wiring Diagram
The wiring diagram here shows me almost everything I need, I just need to know how to connect power/ground for the 25k pull/push part of the pot.

flint757

Reaction score
Okay I'm still not clear though on what you're trying to achieve with the push/pull pot. Are you trying to go say between 18V and 9V? Or something else?

Richard Irons

SD Tone Expert
Reaction score
OK, there are two pins on the pickup that, when connected, increase the output from the pickup.

Imagine these are the six pins on the switch part of the push/pull pot:

A D
B E
C F

if you solder a wire to each of the two pins, instead of putting the jumper across, and then connect those two wires to B and C on the switch (it doesn't matter which way round), then, when you pull out the push/pull pot, you will access the increased output mode of the pickup - ie, pull for boost.

If you want it in boost mode by default and want to pull to cut the output, then connect the two wires to A and B instead.

No need to worry about power or ground.

myampslouder

Reaction score
Okay I'm still not clear though on what you're trying to achieve with the push/pull pot. Are you trying to go say between 18V and 9V? Or something else?

AHB-2 blackouts have 2 pins on the bottom of the pickup separate from the regular 3 pin connector . the 2 pins are to select how much output you want. with them jumped the pickup is insanely hot. if they aren't jumped the output is comparible to a regular blackout.

The OP wants to wire these two pins to a push pill pot so that he can select how much output he wants on the fly without having to pull the pickup. kinda like having an EMG afterburner. It is possible to wire it this way and seymour duncan even mentions it in the pickup description.

flint757

Reaction score
ahh ok, good to know. Well either way reading up on DPDT switches will be beneficial overall.

Richard Irons

SD Tone Expert
Reaction score
My above post should be all you need.

If it was me doing this, I would get myself some wires like this:

Pololu - Premium Jumper Wire 10-Pack M-F 12" Red

I would connect the socket end to the jumper pins on the pickup, then snip and strip the other ends of the wires and solder them to the terminals on the DPDT. Piece of cake. Without those wires you'll have trouble making a clean connection to the pins on the pickup.

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
OK, there are two pins on the pickup that, when connected, increase the output from the pickup.

Imagine these are the six pins on the switch part of the push/pull pot:

A D
B E
C F

if you solder a wire to each of the two pins, instead of putting the jumper across, and then connect those two wires to B and C on the switch (it doesn't matter which way round), then, when you pull out the push/pull pot, you will access the increased output mode of the pickup - ie, pull for boost.

If you want it in boost mode by default and want to pull to cut the output, then connect the two wires to A and B instead.

No need to worry about power or ground.

This is pretty much exactly the information I was looking for, thankyou so much!

Latest posts