Blackouts with the 18volt mod?

FortePenance

Reaction score
So, has anyone tried the blackouts 18v-modded yet? I'd love to hear how they compare to 18v EMGs and the Classic/Metal Livewires.

I heard some pretty old clips of 18v 81-7s that Soldierkahn made and I was really impressed by the sound, great headroom, fuller sound. :metal:

I'm thinking about putting Blackouts/EMGs in my RG and i'm interested in how Blackouts might sound with the 18v mod.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
18v is a HUGE help with EMG 81-7s, subtle help w/ EMG 707s. I'd imagine it would help with Blackouts too, but we'll find out.

When do the 7-string ones come out? :wallbash:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I demand to know when these will be available for 7-strings :(

FortePenance

Reaction score

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
after talking to the SD forum guys and hearing a few clips, there really wasn't much of an improvement at all, a little less than what a modded 707 would do.

and in comparisons the Black out still sounded better then the EMG's even when the EMG's were modded

frank falbo

Reaction score
We should ship the first load by November 1st, but that's not a promise. We still have some final manufacturing tooling to make, etc. 7DT-I don't know when they'll hit the UK but our distrubutor will have them ASAP.

While it won't hurt the Blackouts, the 18 volt mod is very much not necessary. The way we're using our differential preamp is like having twice the dynamic range per coil. Now, forget for a moment that our coils and preamp topology is purely "Duncan" and just compare that part of the equation. The 18-volt mod on the EMG's doesn't produce the same result to the dynamic range. It increases the clean headroom by juicing up the components, but running the differential preamp with balanced inputs does far more (IMHO) to increase dynamic range and preserve transients.

One of the things I've been saying all along is that if you like what the 18 volt mod does to EMG's, then you should love the Blackouts at 9-volts. For those of you who haven't tried the EMG's with 18 volts, you should be flat-out blown away by the Blackouts, just like Dino, Mick, Alexi, and all the other artist who have made the switch.

It's like Hi-Def TV. I'm not that into TV so I don't really care. But when you show me HD next to my old tube television, the difference is undeniable. The EMG's aren't bad pickups. They have made and to this day are making very successful and great sounding albums and live concerts. And with 18 volts they're even better. But I'm sticking with Blackouts.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
We should ship the first load by November 1st, but that's not a promise. We still have some final manufacturing tooling to make, etc. 7DT-I don't know when they'll hit the UK but our distrubutor will have them ASAP.

Frank, is your ETA for the EMG sized ones only or both? Thanks for that cool description, sounds great.

frank falbo

Reaction score
Both. We may do a production run of one first and then the other second, which could account for a day or two difference, but they will both be put into manufacturing at the same time.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I am really looking forward to throwing these into some 7's...

I'm a pretty big fan of EMGs w/ 18V's, so I can't wait to check out these.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Both. We may do a production run of one first and then the other second, which could account for a day or two difference, but they will both be put into manufacturing at the same time.

Nice! My bandmate and I will definitely be buying a few of these. Do they require their own pots and stuff like EMGs? Or can I install them in place of my current passive Duncan?

frank falbo

Reaction score
Like the 6-strings, we'll give you potentiometers. If you want to use the 250k or 500k pots that are in the guitar, you can. But as with all active pickups, it throws off the taper.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Like the 6-strings, we'll give you potentiometers. If you want to use the 250k or 500k pots that are in the guitar, you can. But as with all active pickups, it throws off the taper.

Okay Frank, thanks for the updates, can't wait to order some of these :metal:

Scarve

Reaction score
Since I have 7 string guitars, I've never been that much excited to try a new pickup. :hbang:

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
The only question I have so far is that, from what I have heard, they are going to be labeled "bridge and neck", with the neck being emg85ish and the bridge 81ish. Are the outputs staggered (passive neck pickups have less output than the same model bridge pickups to compensate for string movement aka output being increased due to location)? And will we be able to order just a neck/neck, bridge/bridge set, or are they sold neck/bridge?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^^i've read the same about the neck supposedly being like an 85, and the bridge like an 81.

if so, i may have to switch them around if i get some (hopefully they wont be too expensive! i have limited funds!) as i loves me some massive bottom end.