Blackstar HT-5H

• Thread starter ridner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
Has anybody played one of these? I've been wanting to check one of these out for a while now but continue to sit on the fence. I guess I don't really "need" an amp but when has that ever stopped someone - especially me
icon_lol.gif

I am wondering if these bad boys are capable of producing heavy tones. I guess I am not expecting Death Metal tones, but moderately heavy would be a plus. All of the reviews I have seen don't seem to be from metal players - although I did see one where a guy was running a 7 string with it. I have an odd feeling this would be a good amp for doom/stoner stuff.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
The HT5 is plenty heavy. It handles a 7 great and given the low wattage, the EQ is fully usable (as opposed to higher wattage amps where the extreme ranges of EQ become unusable as you crank louder). It has the most gain of any purely low wattage amp I've played and it replacing the stock 12AX7 with a Mullard, JJ or Tung-Sol yields even more.

As far as low wattage tube amps go, its definitely still the king in my book.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
As far as low wattage tube amps go, its definitely still the king in my book.

:agreed:

I've played through an HT-5H quite a few times, and it's pretty damned cool. I actually own a JCA20H, and I've got to say that the HT-5H does have more gain. The JCA20H can get you into a "pushed rock'n roll" arena, but the HT-5H just has more :yesway:

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
does it have "metal" gain? I know Bloodbath is using one of Blackstar's bigger amps - is this capable of doing anything in that ballpark?

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Hey man. I have the HT-5H, ENGL Gigmaster, and Krank Rev Jr. The Blackstar honestly gives me the best metal tones when paired with an OD in front. It doesn't quite hit "death metal" on it's own, but it's pretty close. It's my favorite of the three lunchbox heads I own....also the least expensive.

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
I used to use one for practise and it was great for the price, especially when boosted!

MaxStatic

Reaction score
I have the combo, needs a boost to get articulate saturation. Nice amp for size and price.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
There's a new HT5 about to come out. The HT-5R is waaaaaay better than the current line, and the current line are bloody good.

Be patient, save your money and get the HT-5R, it's well worth it.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I've not tried that, but I have tried the HT5R.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
The music store that I work at just got our opening Blackstar order in and I am totally floored. The HT-5H is probably my favorite lower wattage head I've played on. Also, OT but the Series One 100 is pure eargasm material. All of the Blackstar stuff is great though.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love my Blackstar HT-5H. The dirty channel is really more of a "rock" sound, but will do metal with the right guitar and possibly a boost, but the clean channel with a cranked Tube Screamer in front of it sounds incredible.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Rob, I had literally no idea you were a member here. :lol:

Yeah, the HT-5 can get quite heavy, but it needs a boost, IMO.

I absolutely loved the HT-60 combo I played, very versatile and could get very heavy when boosted.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
What's new about the HT5R....besides reverb?

The gain seems a little more polished, the amp somehow feels bigger and it all just sounds fatter. It's more of the same really, a good amp just got better.

When I was trying it I plugged a JP6 and delay pedal into it and it sounded really really good. The cleans are little less boxy too.

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
I have the Blackstar HT-1R and for one watt, it handles my 7 better than my Mesa F30 to the point im using my Blackstar over my F30 as my main amp.

It does need boosted to get the desired compression in my sound, but i have a Ibanez ST9 and a Keeley SD-1 that are quite capable of getting me my tone.

I am thinking of the ENGL Gigmaster as my next amp, but i am looking at the Blackstar HT-5H as well, the 3rd amp on the hunt is a Egnater Tweaker 15 as i am in need of a FX loop for some delay.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I am thinking of the ENGL Gigmaster as my next amp, but i am looking at the Blackstar HT-5H as well, the 3rd amp on the hunt is a Egnater Tweaker 15 as i am in need of a FX loop for some delay.

I have the Gigmaster, Krank Rev Jr, and the HT-5H. Honestly, I like the Ht-5 the most out of all three. It gives me the widest range of really good tones.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
So I played one today & it sounds great but it definitely needs a bit of a boost to hit the level of aggressiveness I am looking for. I am gonna order one & try an EQ in the loop. If that doesn't work I will toss an OD in front of it. If I end up doing that I wanna keep the cost as low as possible so I think I will track down a used Bad Monkey.

doandung88

Reaction score
I played Black star Ht-5h a long time ago. Its sound is metal with INF knob and a huge of gain. I connected HT5 through Ibanez TS9 but sound was not good. My friend used OCD, sound was tighter and brighter and its better if u have EQ in the effect loop.

Vinchester

Reaction score
All of the reviews I have seen don't seem to be from metal players...

I have been playing the thing for a year now. And considering that I usually play metal, I am confident to say that , IMO, it does NOT have enough gain by itself to go Metal without any external factors helping..

You will need an OD pedal to boost it (helps compensate for the lack of presence knob), and ideally an EMG-equipped guitar (this amp takes EMGs amazingly well!) to get a "Metal" tone.

The amp is perfect for bedroom use, I am however going to sell it because it simply is not hi-gain enough to me. (Probably gonna try the much bigger Series 1 or, failing that, Engl.) I am a bit reluctant because the HT5 is so good at everything else but hi-gain.

Anyway, go try one. It's one hell of an amp.

')