Blaze Custom?

• Thread starter giannifive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm getting new pickups for my basswood 7-string. I've almost settled on the AN7 (neck) and Blaze Custom (bridge). However, I haven't heard any sound clips of the Blaze Custom. It's been described to me as a mix between a Blaze bridge and the TZ7, which sounds good to me, but it's very high output (410 mV I think), so I'm worried that it will sound too overdriven on clean. I'm looking for a pickup that sounds thick through high gain, crisp yet warm when clean, and has more treble than the TZ7. Does anyone know of any sound clips of the Blaze Custom, preferably both on the clean and dirty channels?

Thanks,
John

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
I have the blaze custom in my 1527 in the bridge pos. and I love it. I serves very well as a clean tone! For me it's just a richer more harmonic Blaze. It's definitely warmer, very well balanced. I have never had any trouble with it on clean settings, it blends very well. As far as high output, I don't recall? 410 mv sounds sort of high? But you may be right. The Evo7 is like 420 mv, and the TZ7 is 385 mv. The best thing is to just try one,,, due to the fact that every guitar sounds different because of wood and stuff. Just check on the return policies. I think the Blaze custom would be a good choice for what you would like to hear.

Good luck.

~A

XIEmperorIX

\m/ Metal Dan \m/
Reaction score
Allen Garrow said:
I have the blaze custom in my 1527 in the bridge pos. and I love it.

drumcityguitarland has a Prestige RG 1527 for sale, is $750 a good deal? Because I was thinking about saving up some extra cash for that and going with the 1527 instead of the RG7321?

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Allen Garrow said:
I have the blaze custom in my 1527 in the bridge pos. and I love it. I serves very well as a clean tone! For me it's just a richer more harmonic Blaze. It's definitely warmer, very well balanced. I have never had any trouble with it on clean settings, it blends very well. As far as high output, I don't recall? 410 mv sounds sort of high? But you may be right. The Evo7 is like 420 mv, and the TZ7 is 385 mv. The best thing is to just try one,,, due to the fact that every guitar sounds different because of wood and stuff. Just check on the return policies. I think the Blaze custom would be a good choice for what you would like to hear.
Thanks, Allen. I'm just going to buy it and try it out! Can't wait to stop using those V8-7/V7-7 pickups I've got in there now.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
eviltoaster said:
all depends on your setup.....guitar,pus,amp,box
Well, it's an RG7420. I think I got one of the better TRS trems because it really does stay in tune well. And with the Tremsetter I'm about to install, it should also sound warmer and sustain better.

My "amp" is a Digitech GNX1, which sounds decent to my ears, although it does have some digital harshness to it. I run a DOD FX80B compressor between the guitar and the GNX1, which really sweetens up the sound.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a Blaze Custom in my old 7620 and loved it. A great pickup, in my opinion. Hot and bright enough for playing leads, but not at the expense of a good rhythm guitar sound. I had no problem getting a clean sound out of mine, though any high-output pickup isn't going to give you a truly sparkling clean sound. But a basswood Ibanez will never deliver a brilliant clean sound, regardless of what pickup you use--basswood rounds off the sound too much for that and doesn't deliver enough 'spank'.

tongueofcolicab

kali is the sweethog
Reaction score
well i have a rg1527, and i mean i love the pickups on it and all, but i was wondering how much a difference it would make to put in a blaze custom for the bridge? to me the stock ibz pickups on my 1527 sound decent, but on clean tones sound mega harsh, and i could use a little more tone and punch for the dirty tones. anyone know what i mean? i just don't know what the difference would sound like. in any case it would be better i think. btw im new :p

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
tongueofcolicab said:
well i have a rg1527, and i mean i love the pickups on it and all, but i was wondering how much a difference it would make to put in a blaze custom for the bridge? to me the stock ibz pickups on my 1527 sound decent, but on clean tones sound mega harsh, and i could use a little more tone and punch for the dirty tones. anyone know what i mean? i just don't know what the difference would sound like. in any case it would be better i think. btw im new :p
The difference is like night and day. My old pickups were the Ibanez V7-7/V8-7 combo (just like in the 1527). I admit they sounded "decent" to me, but after installing the Dimarzios I can't go back. Now IBZ pickups sound like mud to me. The Dimarzios are just so much clearer. They sound more alive.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
giannifive said:
The difference is like night and day. My old pickups were the Ibanez V7-7/V8-7 combo (just like in the 1527). I admit they sounded "decent" to me, but after installing the Dimarzios I can't go back. Now IBZ pickups sound like mud to me. The Dimarzios are just so much clearer. They sound more alive.

If you don't want your old pickups... send them my way. I like 'em.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Regor said:
If you don't want your old pickups... send them my way. I like 'em.
Well for now I'm holding on to them in case I find a nice 7620, in which case I'll need to sell the 7420 with the stock IBZ pups to keep the AN7 and BC.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm actually thinking the same thing for my RG7621... AN7 neck and Blaze Custom bridge.

for a long time now, i've been playing clean parts by backing off on my guitar's volume, instead of switching channels on my amp. it works pretty well, but i was having some break-up issues. then i tried funking with the tone knob, and turning it down just a bit really helps. so, basically the volume is at about 20~15% and the tone is at about 80% for playing cleans on my overdriven gain channel.

so, i'd imagine that if there is too much output from the pickup and you're cleans start to break-up, try backing off on the guitar volume and/or tone.

Sometimes7

Reaction score
I am really beginning to dislike the stock Blaze in my Universe. It has so much high end and no mid beef (just as the specs say). The Blaze Custom sounds like exactly what I would want just from the specs, and that I dislike both the EVO & Tone Zone 6 string models.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes7 said:
I am really beginning to dislike the stock Blaze in my Universe. It has so much high end and no mid beef (just as the specs say). The Blaze Custom sounds like exactly what I would want just from the specs, and that I dislike both the EVO & Tone Zone 6 string models.
The BC is the best passive bridge pickup I've heard yet.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Sometimes7 said:

I replaced the Blaze with a Blaze Custom in my Universe and what can I say? "wow" I love the custom to bits, it just adds so much more life. Awesome pickup!

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
after having my Blaze Custom in my RG7621 for a couple weeks now, i gotta say, it rules the Blaze Bridge stock pickup!

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Leon said:
after having my Blaze Custom in my RG7621 for a couple weeks now, i gotta say, it rules the Blaze Bridge stock pickup!
I've had my Blaze Custom installed for about two months and I'm still loving it. It sounds so sweet it just makes me want to keep playing! The same goes for the AN7 in the neck.

')