Blind test! Mesa Dual Rectifier vs 'mystery' modeling platform...

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I thought we'd have some fun with some 'science' here! So in this blind test we're comparing my 3ch 2000's Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier to a mystery digital modeling platform. I'm the only one who can't give an unbiased opinion because I already know which one is which, but I can hear some subtle differences in the response mainly. The question is, does this matter and to what extent?

So what would be interesting to know from you guys is:

1. Which one was the real Mesa Dual Rectifier?

2. Which modeling platform do you think it was?

3. Which one do you prefer, regardless of which one you think was the real amp, and why?

A lot of people always claim that they can easily tell modelers apart from real amps and a lot of people also claim that they can recognize certain platforms because of certain sonic traits. But when presented with a blind test, how many of you can tell which one is real and which one is digital? This can be fun! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
B is slightly darker and I prefer it. They're both almost identical though. As to which is the real amp..who knows? Anyone good enough with recording can make an a modeler/vst sound good.

Also it's kinda impossible to tell modeler was used unless someone happens to have first hand knowledge

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Definitely very close tones!

I think A is the modeler and B is the amp. I prefer B since it's a little smoother and has more chunky lower mids, but I would be happy with either one in a full mix :yesway:

I want to say the modeler is something in the Helix family since your channel features a lot of HX content, though I can't be 100% sure on that. For all I know, this could be a lead-up to a Quad Cortex video :lol:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Both sound great. I think B is the modeler and the presence is rolled off a little bit to hide maybe some of the digital-ness in the signal... Some modelers sound a little more grainy in the low-mids, so that's the other thing making me think B is the modeler. But hey I could be totally wrong.

I hope it's a Helix :lol: I've got a spare spot on the pedalboard that would fit a HX Stomp... this would settle it

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I think A is the real amp and B is the modeler -- just feeling like B was a little dryer and the decay on the held notes toward the end sounded strange, just a bit less low end. Guess we'll see later! Also I want to say it was recorded with a Helix also, but that's just a blind guess really, but going off my experience with the Helix I think the Recto sound on it is very good.

Honestly they sounded nearly identical. Was the amp recorded with an IR?

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I don't want to spoil the party, but "mystery modeller" is always the POD bean :lol:

It's probably not a POD bean ;)

I think A is the real amp and B is the modeler -- just feeling like B was a little dryer and the decay on the held notes toward the end sounded strange, just a bit less low end. Guess we'll see later! Also I want to say it was recorded with a Helix also, but that's just a blind guess really, but going off my experience with the Helix I think the Recto sound on it is very good.

Honestly they sounded nearly identical. Was the amp recorded with an IR?

I don't want to give any details away yet... sorry! Soon though :)

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a Quad Cortex that Jon used the capture on and he's just trolling all of us!

Quite possibly. Keith Merrow also got his and has a video in the works. You know, the typical "youtube influencers get it sooner than people that actually paid for it" kind of thing. :lol:

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
A has more presence but I couldn't give an educated guess.

Killer riff though

Necky379

Reaction score
I guess A was real B was modeler. I preferred A. Very very close but I’m listening on an iPhone.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
IT'S A JACKAL!!! A JACKAL!!!! IS IT A JACKAL?! IT'S A JACKAL!!!
xmq9WWg.gif

')