Blind test! Mesa Dual Rectifier vs 'mystery' modeling platform...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trem licking

Reaction score
I thought A was the real amp ha... Both sound amazing and extremely similar. Modeling is there, it's all just about options now. That being said, I'll probably stubbornly always have a tube amp live, if anything just for the ease and funziez. I love some solid state too!

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
We are well into the times when modelers can do as good a job as amps imo, especially for recording. There is just a steeper leaning curve with modelers.

The issue is people trying to replicate the experience of playing through an amp in the room, and they’re using headphones. That’s inherently different though in terms of pure physics. Just like going to a concert is vastly different than listening to a live recording.

laxu

Reaction score
We are well into the times when modelers can do as good a job as amps imo, especially for recording. There is just a steeper leaning curve with modelers.

The issue is people trying to replicate the experience of playing through an amp in the room, and they’re using headphones. That’s inherently different though in terms of pure physics. Just like going to a concert is vastly different than listening to a live recording.

Not only that but people don't understand the difference between these two setups:
  • Guitar -> tube amp -> guitar cab -> ears (or more like knees because your cab is on the floor)
  • Guitar -> modeler -> cab sim simulated a miced cab -> full range speakers usually at ear level -> ears.

Spinedriver

Reaction score

That's just it, the whole purpose behind modelers in the first place was to help studio recording. Rather than lug in multiple heads, cabs & mics, hook them all up, spend literal hours tweaking and positioning everything people came up with the idea of having EVERYTHING all in one box that can be fine tuned in minutes rather than hours in addition to not having to physically haul all of the gear around as well.

I think the main issue some people have is 'live use'. I'm sure on stage that a real amp & cab is a lot more practical & easier to use than a 'modeling' rig much in the same way that a Helix/Axe/etc.. is SO much easier to use in a studio than mic'ing an amp & cab.

Personally, I like making patches based on 'recorded tones' but I reckon that's mainly because I don't play in a band anymore. If I were still playing guitar live, it's hard to say if I'd be using an amp or digital rig unless I could get my hands on another Randall T2. ;)

')