Blocked my Kramer Nightswan's trem, took many gratuitous photos.

Fred

Reaction score
By way of a backstory, I've spent the past few months trying to work out whether to sell my Nightswan or my RGA32. I was erring towards the Kramer for a long time, on the basis that I haven't played it in absolutely ages, because I really cannot stand floating trems. I change tuning a hell of a lot, and a Tremol-No just didn't cut the mustard for me (really nice idea, but no way near strong enough to take any serious changes in tuning).

However, I've always had a seriously soft spot for the Kramer, and so the RGA32 went to another home, with the plan being that I would block the Nightswan's trem properly and maybe indulge in some more mods further along the line. So I spent the morning hacking up a nice piece of mahogany and got to work!

This is the result. The little sliver on the spring side was only a temporary job until my housemate and his junior hacksaw came back to enable me to cut a piece with more precision than my tenon saw allowed. I've since fully blocked it on both sides of the trem block, but these pictures were taken before doing so:

21234437.jpg

10714668.jpg

51301017.jpg

99813474.jpg

50107571.jpg

85498517.jpg

68139810.jpg

68046704.jpg

93947934.jpg

13159383.jpg

So happy I did this... Now I remember why I fell in love with the guitar in the first place, my sustain has notably improved, and I can actually change tunings without losing the will to live in the process. Excellent news all round.

While I was in the mood for photos, I grabbed a few snaps of the Kramer's big brother (in terms of scale length and nut width, if not age!), my new USRG10AM. Both guitars have a Tone Zone in the bridge at the moment, but have a noticeable tonal difference, and an extremely noticeable difference in terms of feel. I couldn't compare them, other than to say I don't see myself being rid of either in a hurry!

33221268.jpg

10321370.jpg

65908124.jpg

53384810.jpg

Oh... and by means of a cautionary tale, this is why you should wait until the hangover wears off before wielding an unnecessarily sharp tenon saw:

94161228.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Cheers dudes! Yeah, I'm a huge sucker for 80s Kramers and couldn't pass up the opportunity when I stumbled across this at a nice price. It's either an '89 or a '90 model - as with most of the older guitars it's unfortunately pretty difficult to get an exact date, but either way it's more or less exactly the same age as me, or possibly a tiny bit younger. Been playing it all day since finishing blocking the trem and I'd forgotten quite how much of a breeze the 24.75" scale and ridiculously low action makes it. Definitely makes me sound like a much better player than I am, haha.

Thinking about a YouTube video... Torn between an old song of mine ("Wake Me With Whispers") and "Way Beyond The Fond Old River" by SikTh. Will probably do both at some point, but am erring towards WMWW at the moment. Anyway, cheers to the people who've responded/thanked the post.

Oh, and my hand's all cleaned up, no worries!

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks great Fred! I gotta Admit I liked the RGA But this guitar does have a bit more mojo.

Also...

Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers

:cheers:

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Beautiful in all ways. Can't wait to block the shit out of the two guits I have left that have trems. I considered more Tremol-nos but decided against; I love them but they're prohibitively expensive if you want several haha. You've re-inspired me to get some wood going. Also godDAMN those are nice guitars. I love the inlays on the Kramer.

Fred

Reaction score
Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers Wake Me With Whispers

:cheers:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...d-crepusculum-song-clean-tapping-content.html... :cool:.

Beautiful in all ways. Can't wait to block the shit out of the two guits I have left that have trems. I considered more Tremol-nos but decided against; I love them but they're prohibitively expensive if you want several haha. You've re-inspired me to get some wood going. Also godDAMN those are nice guitars. I love the inlays on the Kramer.

Cheers man - yeah, I should point out that I really don't mean to rag on Tremol-Nos... They're a really nice idea, but just aren't capable of blocking the trem fully enough for my purposes (and, as you say, at their price point that's a bit of an issue). And I'm glad you like the guitars - I'm a huge fan of those inlays too!

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a nice axe, until you get to the Kramer headstock. HE SHOOTS HE SCORES! I like the staggered dots.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
Used to own a Nightswan in that very color, with the HHx setup. God i miss it, the necks on those guitars are ridiculously comfortable.

Fred

Reaction score
Looks like a nice axe, until you get to the Kramer headstock. HE SHOOTS HE SCORES! I like the staggered dots.

Hahaha, I'm a huge sucker for the hockey stock myself... You can't have a proper 80s shredder unless it's got one!

I :wub: Nightswans.

Me. Too.

Used to own a Nightswan in that very color, with the HHx setup. God i miss it, the necks on those guitars are ridiculously comfortable.

They certainly are! I've never really got along with the looks or sounds of HHx guitars, so the fact that they had a Nightswan II for sale in the shop I used to work for (where they don't normally have a huge number of higher-end guitars) must have been pure fate, haha. Having said that about HHx guitars, I would still mercilessly leap on an original 'swan at a nice price, though!

nice kramer :hbang:

Thanks man.

No double block? I love doing that.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but what do you mean by "double block"? If I'm right in assuming you're talking about mahogany either side of the trem block, as opposed to just on the side furthest from the springs, in my original post I said... "The little sliver on the spring side was only a temporary job... I've since fully blocked it on both sides of the trem block, but these pictures were taken before doing so".

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm being dense, but what do you mean by "double block"? If I'm right in assuming you're talking about mahogany either side of the trem block, as opposed to just on the side furthest from the springs, in my original post I said... "The little sliver on the spring side was only a temporary job... I've since fully blocked it on both sides of the trem block, but these pictures were taken before doing so".

I see that I have clearly gone insane. I didn't see that part of your post.

Chiba666

Reaction score
Nice job on the blocking, thats the next stage on my BC Rich, at the moment its a stack of picks wedged at the back of the trem cavity. It works but it's only a quick fix.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
How much more stability does the block on the other side of the trem add? In my head, I would think that the big block on the farthest side would block it from moving up or down. does it just get rid of ALL wiggle room?

'splain plz.

Fred

Reaction score
The block on the side furthest from the neck essentially blocks the trem from lowering the pitch whilst still allowing (at least to a certain extent) the pitch to be raised. A block on the spring side stops the pitch from being raised, and so fully blocks the tremolo.

Devices like the Tremolo Stopper or any other variant along the lines of an L-plate block are designed to make the trem dive-only, hence they go on the spring side of the tremolo block.

')