Blood of the Scribe cover - tone test

• Thread starter gebgebgeb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey i just did a quick like 10 minute cover of blood of the scribe. i did punch ins for every riff since this song makes my right hand really sloppy/tired at parts. i also just learned the song tuesday or wednesday i think. its not the best cover but i really was aiming for a good or decent guitar tone. its probably my best one yet.

the drums aren't really mixed well. its basically a stock ezdrummer kit going through an EQ and a compressor. as for the guitar, i have it running through various vst's and amp sims. i had to keep retuning my guitar though because im having a pretty hard time setting up the zr trem for some reason. which was another reason i had to do punch ins.

if you would be so kind, crit my guitar tone not my cover quality haha.

also, do the punch ins sound that obvious? ive been kinda working on them so that they flow a little better.

tl;dr crit my guitar tone plz kthx.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4830104/Music/bloodofthescribe.mp3

:edit link updated after post 8

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IconW

Reaction score
Well...it's bad.
Guitar tone is thin and digital. What panning did you use with this? 100Right/100Left? Try to lower your gain and don't scoop so much = more mids.
Drums are horrible. Sorry, but that Ez drummer kit eats me up. :D
Well the oh's (crash's, ride's and hihat) aren't so bad but snare is horrible and I barely hear the kickdrum. Can't really say any advices for that 'cause I don't work with ez anymore (it really depends what you use). But you can make it sound good enough! Maybe a bit of googling would help. And get a bass (real or even vst). It's very essential!

I'm not being jerk, just trying to help!

Reaction score
oh no thanks a lot for the input. anything helps at this stage. really, i just used the drums to keep me in place for recording. one of my buddies recommended addictive drums but ive never used it before so ill have to try it out.

yeah its panned 100% left and right. the mids are pretty much at noon on the amp vst (pretty much unaffected) and on my eq its just a hair below mid.

thanks for the input man! ill have to try some of this stuff out.

Th3 Beyond

Reaction score
Fix the mix before i can comment on tone. Everything sounds so buried and trebly

Reaction score
all ive really done so far is boost mids. i looked at my eq's and stuff and treble is barely turned up. ill try cutting it a bit and see how it sounds.

IconW

Reaction score
Yeah, the mix isn't so good. Did you use anything in your master bus?
Get some bass vst...well any bass thingy would do. It helps a lot. But try to improve your guitar tone too. It's quite important in this kind of music. :D
And I really recommend Addictive Drums. It's quite light for your computer and sounds nice. Atleats it's better than ez drummer IMO. I could send you some AD preset if and when you get it! :D

And if you're starting with this recording stuff or you are "inexperienced", I recommend you to read this thread:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...reat-tutorial-on-recording-heavy-guitars.html

Also Google and Sevenstring.org search helps.

Reaction score
word. nah i didnt use anything in the master bus. i would do bass but im leaving that for a friend to record. i was really aiming to try and nail down a decent guitar tone.

awesome iconw, i would really appreciate that if i get it.

also, updated link.

Th3 Beyond

Reaction score
I would say for now the only post eq you should have is a simple HPF.LPF lo/hi pass

Get rid of that mid boost and all that shit and focus on getting a good tone straight from the amp first. Start by lowering that treble and maybe turning up the bass some.

You cant polish a turd.

Reaction score
alright i tried that. i think i know what you mean by buried. i actually removed the low pass and it sounded better. i kept the eq and i found out i dont even have a hi pass vst. i tweaked the eq on the amp vst a little bit and got better tone imo. uploading a new mp3.

Reaction score
wow yeah i finally understand haha. i didnt realize how trebly (sp?) the guitars were until i put that pass on it. thanks a lot.

Latest posts

')