Blue Steel by Dean Markley is no longer made of stainless steel

• Thread starter mr_scary
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mr_scary

Reaction score
When did this happen?

I've been using these for years, recently purchase over 30 sets.
I still have 1 original set left from 10 years ago when they came in a cardboard box with envelopes.
The new ones come bundled in single plastic wrap/bag and color coded on the ball ends.

I can't believe they just stopped making them in stainless, now just nickel coated carbon steel.

I have a feeling people are going to be mad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I haven't used a set of Dean Markley strings since 1998-99. I only used them then because the back of the booklet that came in my AJfA CD jewel case said that Kirk Hammett used Dean Markley strings with his ADA preamps, Mesa/Boogie amps, and Esp guitars.

mastapimp

Reaction score
When were they ever stainless? I used them from about 2000-2005 and don't remember any of the marketing or packaging indicating that kind of material, only that they were cryogenically treated.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Must admit to being underwhelmed. I consider Dean Markley among those brands which insist on expensive gimmickry to distinguish themselves from other makers of wire.

Gimme a set of std D'addario XLs any day. I'll use the money I save to buy more Dunlop Flow picks (which are a genuine technological advance).

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Stainless steel guitar strings sounds like a really bad idea. I know people use them, but just sounds really dumb when you could be just fine playing nickel strings like everyone else. :2c: replacing my frets every few years sounds way worse than just turning up my treble and presence a bit.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stainless steel guitar strings sounds like a really bad idea. I know people use them, but just sounds really dumb when you could be just fine playing nickel strings like everyone else. :2c: replacing my frets every few years sounds way worse than just turning up my treble and presence a bit.
Or Cobalts

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
When you have a nickel allergy you don't have much choice.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Must admit to being underwhelmed. I consider Dean Markley among those brands which insist on expensive gimmickry to distinguish themselves from other makers of wire.

Gimme a set of std D'addario XLs any day. I'll use the money I save to buy more Dunlop Flow picks (which are a genuine technological advance).
ultem has been around forever but mmkay

')