BMW Commercial

• Thread starter lava
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I can't believe that another important detail is skimmed-over: in that scene in the guitar store, the "protagonist" has something that resembles a Flock of Seagulls haircut and is wearing a blazer with its sleeves rolled-up over a B/W checkerboard shirt. No super-strats or vagina for him!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe that another important detail is skimmed-over: in that scene in the guitar store, the "protagonist" has something that resembles a Flock of Seagulls haircut and is wearing a blazer with its sleeves rolled-up over a B/W checkerboard shirt. No super-strats or vagina for him!
I believe the scene was supposed to take place when the BMW driver was a teen in the 80's.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
The RGD being a state of the art instrument is quite the exaggeration, stylistically more modern, sure I'll give you that. All things being equal, particularly build quality, the only thing separating the RGD and Les Paul is personal preference. I'd pick a Les Paul over an RGD every day of the week, especially the Buckethead signature, mostly because Ibanez's necks are just too thin.

+1
The RGD is cool, but its so different than a Les Paul, so you can't really compare them.

theclap

Reaction score
all BMW-marketing-branch-hate aside. BMW's are probably the nicest vehicles i've ever driven. There's a reason they're called the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
all BMW-marketing-branch-hate aside. BMW's are probably the nicest vehicles i've ever driven. There's a reason they're called the Ultimate Driving Machine.

+1

There's a reason my dream car is an M5 or an M Coupe.

spattergrind

Reaction score
Ya I know, I was thinking of this when I saw the commercial:

Are you kidding me?, this guy is a dumb ass.

Check out this amp: AxeFx, ENGL, etc.
No I want this one:
Behringer half stack

:noplease:

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
I'm sure you lovely forumites are an exception to the rule, but has anyone else noticed that BMW drivers are typically total dbags on the road?

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
Ya I know, I was thinking of this when I saw the commercial:

Are you kidding me?, this guy is a dumb ass.

Check out this amp: AxeFx, ENGL, etc.
No I want this one:
Behringer half stack

:noplease:
To be honest, Gibson LPs are genuinely considered more of a "high performace" guitar among more people than the few (mostly metalheads) who play Ibanez/ESP/Schecter/insert-any-other-nontraditional-brand-you-see-at-a-metal-show-here/etc. exclusively.

A better comparison would be:
A Peavy 6505 vs. a Marshall

Different strokes, but one is percieved to be better by the non-metal public.

Although to be honest, a teenager (especially an 80's teenager) would most likely be all over the Ibanez instead of the Gibson in real life. Just go to Guitar Center on a Friday when the kids get out of school and see for yourself.

I'm sure you lovely forumites are an exception to the rule, but has anyone else noticed that BMW drivers are typically total dbags on the road?
Of course they are. They always try to race you between the lights and try to always pass you up.

Then sometimes (if your window is open and you are driving as "sporty" as they are), they pull up along side you to tell you: their 0-60 acceleration time, their iDrive settings, how their last track day went, and what a difference their new Pirellis make in the corners. :lol:

Although, I would rather be on a road full of Beemer drivers going 50 on a 35 street than be stuck behind a Camry driver on my way somewhere.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen the commercial numerous times. Never can truly make out what the superstrat type guitar is. I don't think it's an RGD at all.

Chronograph

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I am a member of BMW local club and many of the club members are huge metal heads:hbang:

IMO that's because BMW is often associated with power, drive and musculine aggression, i.e. same stuff expected from the metal genres.

snowblind56

Reaction score
I saw the commercial too. Basically, it didn't imply that the Ibanez sucked, it was more that you shouldn't settle for something less than what you want.

The kid obviously wanted a Les Paul, nothing wrong with that. But his dad was pushing him towards the Ibanez that he really didn't want, which would obviously make him feel slighted.

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
I saw the commercial too. Basically, it didn't imply that the Ibanez sucked, it was more that you shouldn't settle for something less than what you want.

The kid obviously wanted a Les Paul, nothing wrong with that. But his dad was pushing him towards the Ibanez that he really didn't want, which would obviously make him feel slighted.

ooh but what if his dad was a guitarist/SS.org member and knew the Ibanez was of better quality than the LP, so he was just trying to steer his kid in the right direction?

spattergrind

Reaction score
The fact that the guitar thing is in a BMW commercial doesnt make me not like BMW's.
I love beemers, especially when they have black wheels on them and they are all smoked out.....:agreed:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
BMWs in europe are associated with gang culture and rap, as they were the "show you have money in the block selling drugs" item of choice. It has now been supplanted by the Audi A3 as the "showoff car".

StratoJazz

Reaction score
Yeah man, i saw it and thought it was pretty funny and stereotypical. The kid holding the Les Paul had a Swoosh and wore tight pants.

Super Strat/Strat/SG/(insert light thin cut guitar here) > Les Paul

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
BMWs in europe are associated with gang culture and rap, as they were the "show you have money in the block selling drugs" item of choice. It has now been supplanted by the Audi A3 as the "showoff car".

I agree on the 10+ year old Audi, around here they're seen as nice, comfy cars that are good to drive. They used to be 'made by machines, driven by cocks' but Audi seems to have become the cock brand of choice...

I like beamers, and if the LP in that as is more than 10 years old, I'd take it over any modern Ibby...

')