BMW Commercial

• Thread starter lava
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
dammit i wanna see this commercial now. i have many a lps that i hates and many a ibanez's ive hated. however i played a mid 70's gold top LP in a pawn shop one time. after i messed with the bridge to adjust the action and retunned it (the dildo at behind the counter was like "you break it you buy it.") it was quite an amazing sounding and playing istrument. i just loath the gibson heel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw the commercial the other day, and really, a lot of you guys are going to be disappointed.

Unless you're a guitar nerd (like those of us here :lol:) you wouldn't even know what guitars they were. The "Gibson" in question is just scene from behind, and only part of the guitar is visible.

potatohead

Reaction score
I saw the commercial the other day, and really, a lot of you guys are going to be disappointed.

Unless you're a guitar nerd (like those of us here :lol:) you wouldn't even know what guitars they were. The "Gibson" in question is just scene from behind, and only part of the guitar is visible.

Agreed, just saw it for the first time a few minutes ago... Not at all what it was made out to be in this thread.

Reaction score
When I saw this I was taken back to my high school days in the 80s. My first thought was 'lol look at this dbag. its that kid in high school everyone punched in the face for being a tony hawk poser whose parents bought him the best skategear that never got scratched' and then the commercial kept going and I'm like 'oh, that explains it'.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Nothing about the average guitar or rig is state of the art. Most of the luthiery concepts are from the 1400s, with some of the latest being the 1940s. The tech of the pickups hasn't deviated much since the 1920s. The most "modern" part would be the trem, which can be dated back to the late 1970s.

:lol:

I was thinking this too.

There isn't much of a technological gap between the Les Paul and the RGD.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
When I saw this I was taken back to my high school days in the 80s. My first thought was 'lol look at this dbag. its that kid in high school everyone punched in the face for being a tony hawk poser whose parents bought him the best skategear that never got scratched' and then the commercial kept going and I'm like 'oh, that explains it'.

:lol:

I had hawk and lasek decks but I tore them the fuck up :metal:

gfactor

Reaction score
Saw this commercial, and at first had similar thoughts to the OP, but I quickly calmed down. The kid clearly was more interested in the Les Paul (Hate them if you want but they're classics and I love mine) and the father was trying to convince him to get one he was less interested in to save money.

Nothing more then that.

SS.org members more than anyone should understand the value of throwing in some extra $ have exactly what they want! Or did I imagine all those custom shop NGD's over the years!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
BMWs in europe are associated with gang culture and rap, as they were the "show you have money in the block selling drugs" item of choice. It has now been supplanted by the Audi A3 as the "showoff car".

And Top Gear led me to believe it was the Range Rover Sport. :noplease:

Reaction score
gfactor said:
Saw this commercial, and at first had similar thoughts to the OP, but I quickly calmed down. The kid clearly was more interested in the Les Paul (Hate them if you want but they're classics and I love mine) and the father was trying to convince him to get one he was less interested in to save money.

Nothing more then that.

SS.org members more than anyone should understand the value of throwing in some extra $ have exactly what they want! Or did I imagine all those custom shop NGD's over the years!
This. A million times this.

/thread.

Reaction score

We all know that kid never even played that Gibson he ended up buying.

FLGearnut

Reaction score
I cant speak for anybody else, but for the last 10 years or so, i have been utterly unable to purchase a guitar that wasnt high end. The quality difference is way too obvious in my hands that anything less than what i already own just doesnt provide the same playing satisfaction i get from my other instruments.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I cant speak for anybody else, but for the last 10 years or so, i have been utterly unable to purchase a guitar that wasnt high end. The quality difference is way too obvious in my hands that anything less than what i already own just doesnt provide the same playing satisfaction i get from my other instruments.

Sorry, but that is just gear snobbery. Sure high end stuff is great, but cheaper guitars can be amazing with a little work here and there. High end stuff can have issues just as well as cheaper stuff.

snowblind56

Reaction score
Sorry, but that is just gear snobbery. Sure high end stuff is great, but cheaper guitars can be amazing with a little work here and there. High end stuff can have issues just as well as cheaper stuff.

It's snobbery to the point if he only will play an Ibanez if it is a J-Custom, but It's fine if he will not play a Gio or an Indo made Ibanez over any mid-level instrument. Most of the Gio's and Indo made Ibanez that i came across while I was a guitar tech pretty much sucked. Yeah you get a decent one once in a while, but they are no where near the level of most MIJ Ibanez's. Good for a starter guitar, but not a professional instrument by any means.

Also, I guess I'm that way to a point. I would have a hard time buying/playing cheap guitars. They are fun to mess around with for a while, but I am not going to waste my money on them. While PRS SE's are fine guitars for the price, it would bother me that I do not have a US made Custom 24, which I guess is the point of that commercial. :lol:

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
FWIW the indo made xiphos I bought 2 years ago is the best guitar I've owned, including JEMS, prestige ibbys, high end jacksons. :shrug:

FLGearnut

Reaction score
It's snobbery to the point if he only will play an Ibanez if it is a J-Custom, but It's fine if he will not play a Gio or an Indo made Ibanez over any mid-level instrument. Most of the Gio's and Indo made Ibanez that i came across while I was a guitar tech pretty much sucked. Yeah you get a decent one once in a while, but they are no where near the level of most MIJ Ibanez's. Good for a starter guitar, but not a professional instrument by any means.

Also, I guess I'm that way to a point. I would have a hard time buying/playing cheap guitars. They are fun to mess around with for a while, but I am not going to waste my money on them. While PRS SE's are fine guitars for the price, it would bother me that I do not have a US made Custom 24, which I guess is the point of that commercial. :lol:

THIS

Its not that i refuse to play anything except for one specific instrument. Perhaps I should have rephrased the way I said my statement

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
dude i totally understand, i wont use and generic toilet paper for fear of getting shit on my finger. but charmin or angel soft are good as gold. i guess thats bathroom snobbery.

')