Boaz Modular Guitar (Kickstarter Beginning)

• Thread starter Se7enHeaven
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
OK, I have plenty of guitars, but this one has me excited for several reasons.

One, it's made from materials that won't warp or be affected by humidity, etc.

Two, there are 50 combinations (with the full package), including swapping humbuckers (Les Paul), single-coils (Strat) and a Tele version.

Three, it actually plays and sounds good (based on the feedback of the Guitologist (I doubt he would endorse something or spend so much time on a subject if it was decent).

I'm intrigued by the adjustable bridge and how easy it is to intonate each string.

Four, it has its own built-in stand.

Certainly a bunch of other factors, including different styles of bodies, but this is one of those projects that many of us think about or would like to happen and it's far more diverse and cheaper (and easier for switching) than those Relish guitars. Here is the link for those who haven't seen it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boazinstruments/boaz-one-one-modular-guitar-50-combinations?ref=awj3vt

I'm looking into the Premium package, with three body styles and brass bridge.

Anyone else looking into this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I saw this in passing but didn't actually pay attention. I am very interested in this but it's not available in a 7-string it appears, unfortunately.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
Maybe if the 6-string does well they will expand the concept. I suspect a lot more 6-string players out there, and so you would have to appease that audience first to see if the sales are there. Fantastic travel guitar concept.

mastapimp

Reaction score
I often watch these kickstarter pitch videos and get a feeling for how serious the people are trying to get their product off and running. This was one that was bordering on good but had too many unintentionally funny elements to ignore. The narrator's tone and accent get progressively stronger though the video...they throw in the awkward inventor for a brief moment, i guess to lend credibility (they screwed up his professional info in the bio section of the website as well). The first few guitar demos were interesting, but the last guy that's taking his Boaz "on the road" has his kids use their portable drums (his arms and bench) to join in on the fun.

Video aside, i think it's a kind of cool concept with some interesting features, but a plastic guitar is gonna be a hard sell. Plus, these kick starters are notorious for falling through or getting Chinese rip-offs before they even ship. I have little faith this particular product will go anywhere =(

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
If it means anything, Boaz is a very accomplished guitarist who is also a master luthier. He's the one who has been designing this for several years so that the neck is top notch and all the fittings are perfect. But I also get the goofiness when you have your kids with toy instruments joining in.

mastapimp

Reaction score
If it means anything, Boaz is a very accomplished guitarist who is also a master luthier. He's the one who has been designing this for several years so that the neck is top notch and all the fittings are perfect. But I also get the goofiness when you have your kids with toy instruments joining in.
Since you seem to be invested in this, maybe you should let him know that his acoustics lab is at Florida State University, and not "The University of Florida, at Tallahassee."

And I did briefly look up some of his acoustics and he does look like a terrific luthier. Hopefully, they prove me wrong with this modular concept!

Bearitone

Reaction score
The kick stand and speaker body are cool options for beginners. If i was a parent on a budget this is what i would grab for my kid lol.

I doubt most people who are serious about guitar really care about either of those things but, cool that they exist.

The pick holder is a very silly gimmick imo.

It’s hard to tell from the video but, are the frets plastic too?

Also I’m assuming no truss Rod? Not necessarily a bad thing if the materials are up to the task

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The fact that it’s a Kickstarter means I won’t be buying one. I’m sick of funding stuff that drags on and on without shipping. As far as I’m concerned, if you have a business concept you feel strongly enough to max out your credit cards, dump your savings into, or take out a bank loan, then I’m thinking you’ll keep the pedal to the metal in terms of releasing it. When it’s OPM, there is no incentive, and I’ve been in far too many kickstarters that dragged on well beyond their initial ship date.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Anyone raising capital for an equity stake? As a rule I no longer do “pre-orders” via crowd funding.

And if I do it’s for a variation on an existing product, IE a board game, or card game. Something that sourcing manufacturing for won’t require reinventing the wheel. Video games are out until they have playable betas, etc etc.

This needs to be in stock and available for any joe blow to buy IMO. All the best but naaah.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
steel frets, from what I remember in the Guitologist video. Steel rods in the neck (reinforced). I suspect it's a crowd funder because the designer is a luthier by trade... not a millionaire, lol.

Crundles

Reaction score
Interesting.

It seems to be way overfunded, so it should make it to market, at least.

I'm actually really fond of using Kickstarter to try and get your slightly out-there project going. You're unlikely to get actual venture capital funding for a heckin modular guitar, but there are more than enough people willing to throw a tenner at random projects, and I'd rather see a plastic lego guitar being funded than god damn Always Online IoT Shoes.

I'm also pretty fond of the idea of a modular guitar. Maybe not necessarily the first iteration, but combine this with the Line6 Variax idea of integrating modelling into the guitar itself, and you might well have a product going.

The only thing that slightly disappoints me (as someone who will most definitely not get the first version of this, but will gladly watch a youtube video of a dude slamming some Cannibal Corpse on one) is that it isn't headless. You're already doing a modular, plastic guitar. The hotly contested dadrocker ship has long since sailed, might as well go all-in.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
I'm with you on the headless concept... surprised they didn't do it, to make it even smaller and cut down on costs.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
I found an interesting video... some background with Boaz (who worked at Fender and Gibson, besides his own acoustic work) and the years it took to develop the final outcome.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Headstock "just for hanging in a store" sounds like a bad idea to prioritize function prior to being bought by a customer over what the customer probably wants (no goofy headstock bump on a headless guitar).

Bearitone

Reaction score
Headstock "just for hanging in a store" sounds like a bad idea to prioritize function prior to being bought by a customer over what the customer probably wants (no goofy headstock bump on a headless guitar).

The headstock is probably to not scare away the beginner crowd. Look at the price, the kick stand, and speaker body.

Even if the quality is way above par for the price, everything about it screams “Beginner” or “first guitar” or “I want something all-in-one for my kid”

Headless scares away the normies which make up a huge portion of customers in the advertised price point.

If it was headless there’s no way it would have the funding it does. It would be too avant-garde for most pallets.

Last edited:
')