Body Build Brainstorming...

• Thread starter Konfyouzd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
So... I wanna get in on this Home Depot building comp...

I have NEVER built anything even remotely close to a guitar before and while I plan to do the majority of my own research so as to keep my plans quiet, I am curious about how difficult some things will be to pull off.

I'm sure plenty of folks here have seem Carl Thompson basses with those cool curly upper horns. Would I be able to pull something like that off using some combination of the following tools:

-Rasps (I have a few)
-Chisel
-Sand paper
-Router
-Jigsaw

My gut says yes, but I don't want to end up biting off more than I can chew...

Thanks for the help guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

penguin_316

Reaction score
You will also want a table saw with a fence, lots of big clamps, fret files, a hammer(rubber), a drill and some forstner bits(recommended but not needed), a planar, access to a jointer because no matter what wood you buy it won't be perfectly flat. I mean, I guess it depends how well you want it to work out.

Guitars were made before power tools but they really help lol.

mwcarl

Reaction score
With enough time and patience you could easily build a guitar without many more tools than you have access to now. It would be highly beneficial to have a drill press and a hand plane. You should be able to improvise for most of it. Give it a shot, if you're doing the Home Depot challenge, wasting your time is probably the biggest risk you're taking.

AwDeOh

Reaction score
Depends how inventive you want to be. Plenty of people cut neck laminate pieces with a timber saw, a jigsaw is possible with patience and a good blade. Jointing can be done the old fashioned way with a jointing plane and/or sanding with the aid of a slab of marble (like Gregori), or wood backed glass as I've seen before, so that the final surface is as flat as the marble/glass.

Tablesaws are for hipsters. :D

Latest posts

')