Boogie Mark IV vs F50?

• Thread starter bigsethmeister
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Dylan7620 said:
the bigger amp? i'm assuming you mean tone as comparing loudness with 85w to 100w is pointless.

i think you could argue that with the rectos more agressive presence and distorted nature they tend to cut a little more out of a mix. which you think might sound bigger. i prefer the guitar to set a little more into the mix with the other instruments. i think that sounds "bigger" but to each his own.

By bigger, I mean that it covers more of the sonic spectrum.

My favorite albums, production wise, are albums like Doomsday Machine, Enemy of God, Dead Heart In A Dead World, Anthems of Rebellion, This Godless Endeavour, etc.

I'm really into big, thick guitar sounds, backing bass, rolling thunder toms, snare's that hit you in the chest, etc. Should give you an idea of where my opinions are based.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
DSS3 said:
By bigger, I mean that it covers more of the sonic spectrum.

My favorite albums, production wise, are albums like Doomsday Machine, Enemy of God, Dead Heart In A Dead World, Anthems of Rebellion, This Godless Endeavour, etc.

I'm really into big, thick guitar sounds, backing bass, rolling thunder toms, snare's that hit you in the chest, etc. Should give you an idea of where my opinions are based.

In other-words, you like Andy Sneap, for the most part. ;)

Personally I prefer the guitar sound on Dreaming Neon Black, Older Arch Enemy, etc.

IIRC Sneap originally wanted the recto tone on EoG, but Mille didn't like it, and they re-amped it through 5150s. I've heard a rumor that they've gone to Engl's, which makes sense to me, tone-wise.

I miss the old Marshall Thrash/Death guitar tone. :(

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
In other-words, you like Andy Sneap, for the most part. ;)

Personally I prefer the guitar sound on Dreaming Neon Black, Older Arch Enemy, etc.

IIRC Sneap originally wanted the recto tone on EoG, but Mille didn't like it, and they re-amped it through 5150s. I've heard a rumor that they've gone to Engl's, which makes sense to me, tone-wise.

I miss the old Marshall Thrash/Death guitar tone. :(

I like his guitarwork, for sure. Him and Neil Kernon.

I dug DNB and old Arch Enemy, but they aren't as powerful or ballsy to me. I like to feel the guitars, as well as hear them, and while older Marshall/thrash sounds are cool, I don't play thrash, so it ends up sounding thin.

I remember that story actually... they tried it with a Recto because Mille had liked what he heard from a previous album done with it, but it came out really muddy, so they re-amped it back through a TS-9 and 5150. They used an ENGL for some leads, though.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
DSS3 said:
I like his guitarwork, for sure. Him and Neil Kernon.

I dug DNB and old Arch Enemy, but they aren't as powerful or ballsy to me. I like to feel the guitars, as well as hear them, and while older Marshall/thrash sounds are cool, I don't play thrash, so it ends up sounding thin.

I remember that story actually... they tried it with a Recto because Mille had liked what he heard from a previous album done with it, but it came out really muddy, so they re-amped it back through a TS-9 and 5150. They used an ENGL for some leads, though.

Heh, I like the guitar to sound like a guitar, too 'ballsy' and it becomes unrealistic to me. My 'ideal' recorded tones of recent times are Nocturnal Rites and Crystal Eyes, both Engls and both pretty tight and Marshallish. Don't get me wrong, I love Enemy of God, but Coma Of Souls is a better Kreator CD, IMO.

I meant Kreator's supposedly touring with Engls now, where it was all 5150s before(and Marshalls before that).

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally cannot stand the tone on Ashes of the Wake, but it's not the best example of what a Mark IV can do. The Mark IV doesn't do recto, but that's not the point. I could just as easily say that the Recto doesn't do the Mark series, and that is a fact. The Mark IV has insane raw saturation.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
Went with the Mark IV :scream: :hbang: :metal: :yesway: :shred:

Very happy!

Now I just need a closed-back cabinet and an attenuator! :lol:

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
Wife had to work last night so I spent the whole night wringing out the new amp. Holy crap this thing sounds good. How did I get to 33 years old without owning one of these??

I think I've found my one true love!:wub: :smooch: :wag: :hbang:

Secret for home playing/practice btw seems to be the following:

set it to class a / triode / mid gain on the back and fire it up in tweed power mode. set output to 2 and LD to 2 with gain around 8 and drive up a bit and it actualy sounds good at practice levels. Naturaly, turned up louder it slays!

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
excellent. now, how about a pic / sound clip thread? ;)

')