Boogie owners: Talk to me about the DC-5.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I'm actually having a bit of a job finding out about it. All I've got is conflicting reviews saying its great for classic rock but it sucks at cleans to its got the lead sounds of a MK IV and the cleans of a Roland JC-120.

I'm somewhat skeptical, but hey.

I've got a line on one for £200 ($400) which over is mind blowing. That's two thirds of the cost of a mexican strat - that seems look a good international point of comparison. :lol:

Looks beat, I'm trying it tomorrow morning. I think I'll grab it, but I'm wondering if I should clean it up and sell it on or keep it?

Pretty sure Metal Ken has a DC-3 - does anyone else own one of these range of amps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nats

Reaction score
i have a 50 Cal., but i don't know if they're similar

matt7

Irish Guy
Reaction score
Stitch if your not gonna hit that, let me! :lol: Any mesa for £200 is worth it imo, sorry don't have an info about it, but I've heard a few people say that the DC.50 is smokin'!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The DC-5 is basically a higher-wattage version of the DC-3, though it's worth noting that I think the 3 is el84 and the 5 is 6l6.

I believe it's essentially the same as a 50 Caliber, as well - I think DC stands for Dual Caliber, anyway.

They often get described as falling somewhere between a Recto and a Mark, and if it's true that the voicing is reminiscent of the F-series (which I've played), then that's probably fair.

Also, I saw a guy playing one with a strat and some sort of external processor for OD once - he got some absolutely gorgeous SRV-like clean tones out of it. Think "Little Wing."

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Drew, you've just totally put me off it. :lol:

Anyone who actually uses the good channel have an opinion? :fawk: :wub:

I'm postive that the DC-3 has el84 simply because the F-30 does, while the F-50 uses the 6L6's. Seems to be a trait reminiscent of all Mesa combos...

')