Book recommendations for someone who doesnt read much?

• Thread starter TedEH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Here, years and years and years ago, I took the time to type up a chapter from Infinite Jest what a friend of mine handed me the book and told me to read, which convinced me I needed to read it.

http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/why-you-need-to-read-david-foster-wallaces-infinite-jest.14368/

This is one of my favorite sentences I've ever read: "So tonight to shush you how about I say I have an administrative bone to pick with God, Boo. I'll say God seems to have a kind of laid-back management style I'm not crazy about. I'm pretty much anti-death. God looks by all accounts to be pro death. I'm not seeing how we can get together on this issue, he and I, Boo."

Infinite Jest is my favourite book of all time. And no, I don't like Pynchon.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Ok, a couple more recommendations, then. :lol:

The Fall - Albert Camus. A fascinating, short novella that's basically a 200-page monologue, of a character telling a story over the course of a couple days to two guys he meets in a bar who are just there as listeners. No back and forth, no action, just one long monologue. And, it's fascinating.

I guess, thinking to other novels that are really carried by the strength of their narrator, Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita comes to mind - it's a story whose main character is a pedophile, yet Nabokov actually manages to humanize him. I know, doesn't sound like much of a recommendation, but trust me here. :lol:

Great shouts. Lolita is a love letter to a language.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
For comics, Saga by Brian K Vaughn is probably the best series I've read recently. If you like his writing, an older title called Y: The Last Man is what made him popular. The comic that got me in to non-spandex type comics was a title called Preacher. It's been made in to an AMC series now, but it doesn't and won't touch the books.

In non-fiction; Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond isn't new, but I can't recommend it enough to anyone who hasn't read it.

Reactions: fps

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
For comics, Saga by Brian K Vaughn is probably the best series I've read recently. If you like his writing, an older title called Y: The Last Man is what made him popular. The comic that got me in to non-spandex type comics was a title called Preacher. It's been made in to an AMC series now, but it doesn't and won't touch the books.

In non-fiction; Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond isn't new, but I can't recommend it enough to anyone who hasn't read it.
those are all excellent series. I vastly prefer saga to Y (largely because the ending was very disapppointing imo). If you like preacher you should check out Garth Ennis's run on the Punisher or his series Crossed (which is hands down one of the gnarliest comics ever made). Matt Millar's Nemesis and Super series are also really great if you like messed up dark humor.
Revival is another series that doesn't get enough love. It's a really great neo-noir/horror comic.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
those are all excellent series. I vastly prefer saga to Y (largely because the ending was very disapppointing imo). If you like preacher you should check out Garth Ennis's run on the Punisher or his series Crossed (which is hands down one of the gnarliest comics ever made). Matt Millar's Nemesis and Super series are also really great if you like messed up dark humor.
Revival is another series that doesn't get enough love. It's a really great neo-noir/horror comic.

I've got all of those Punishers. I collected Punisher from the start of Ennis' first limited series (which they turned in to that god awful Thomas Jane film) to the Jason Aaron/Steve Dillon Max series.

Crossed, Nemisis, Super Series I will check out. I like quite a lot of Mark Millar's other work (including his superhero stuff).

I was okay with the ending of Y. I really enjoyed it as a whole. But, I'd say that Saga is maybe one of the best series that I've read. It's certainly my favourite current ongoing title.

I haven't been reading that many comics lately, but I used to have quite a good little collection.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I've got all of those Punishers. I collected Punisher from the start of Ennis' first limited series (which they turned in to that god awful Thomas Jane film) to the Jason Aaron/Steve Dillon Max series.

Crossed, Nemisis, Super Series I will check out. I like quite a lot of Mark Millar's other work (including his superhero stuff).

I was okay with the ending of Y. I really enjoyed it as a whole. But, I'd say that Saga is maybe one of the best series that I've read. It's certainly my favourite current ongoing title.

I haven't been reading that many comics lately, but I used to have quite a good little collection.
The only good newer punisher series imo is the war machine series. It's a lot of fun to see frank get the war machine suit and rip through baddies even easier. Ennis did a recent return to punisher with punisher platoon, but it feels like a retread of his work with punisher born (which is a cool look into the character's past).
American Vampire is another series well worth checking out imo. Think Interview with the Vampire but much meaner spirited (like 30 days of night, which is also a great book).

AirForbes1

Reaction score
The only good newer punisher series imo is the war machine series. It's a lot of fun to see frank get the war machine suit and rip through baddies even easier. Ennis did a recent return to punisher with punisher platoon, but it feels like a retread of his work with punisher born (which is a cool look into the character's past).
American Vampire is another series well worth checking out imo. Think Interview with the Vampire but much meaner spirited (like 30 days of night, which is also a great book).

Didn't get in to American Vampire. I liked King's work on Batman when it got re-booted, but couldn't get in to American Vampire. As for Punisher, I pretty much stopped after Aaron's Max series. I didn't know where they could go after that. But that was some time ago. I have Born. I also have The Boys by Ennis which I enjoyed.

Really, these days I'm only really reading Saga, Sex Criminals, and Southern Bastards with the odd Brubaker Phillips series here and there. I've been really lax about finding new stuff. I get an email from my comic shop every few months asking me to come in and grab my pull file.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Didn't get in to American Vampire. I liked King's work on Batman when it got re-booted, but couldn't get in to American Vampire. As for Punisher, I pretty much stopped after Aaron's Max series. I didn't know where they could go after that. But that was some time ago. I have Born. I also have The Boys by Ennis which I enjoyed.

Really, these days I'm only really reading Saga, Sex Criminals, and Southern Bastards with the odd Brubaker Phillips series here and there. I've been really lax about finding new stuff. I get an email from my comic shop every few months asking me to come in and grab my pull file.
sex criminals, southern bastards and Fatale/Kill or be Killed are some of my favorite series i've read in the last few years besides saga or revival. if you dig brubaker's stuff like Fatale you might dig jason aaron's series Scalped. it's basically a western noir/crime drama set on an indian reservation.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
sex criminals, southern bastards and Fatale/Kill or be Killed are some of my favorite series i've read in the last few years besides saga or revival. if you dig brubaker's stuff like Fatale you might dig jason aaron's series Scalped. it's basically a western noir/crime drama set on an indian reservation.

I did Scalped back when it came out. That's how I got in to Aaron. I'm old. So, I know most of the old stuff, but haven't been up to date on the new shit that the kids have been reading.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I did Scalped back when it came out. That's how I got in to Aaron. I'm old. So, I know most of the old stuff, but haven't been up to date on the new shit that the kids have been reading.
Yeah I'm not super up to snuff on newer stuff besides Southern Bastards/Sex Criminals. I've heard Monstress is a really good series. Same with Nailbiter.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Infinite Jest is my favourite book of all time. And no, I don't like Pynchon.
Honestly, Gravity's Rainbow might be worth a second look. I won't deny it was kind of a slog to get through the first time I read it - there's a lot of pieces to keep straight, for one, and the narrative sort of (intentionally, I'd argue) self-destructs as the book goes on. At a minimum, it's weird as hell, with all the weird sex and song and dance routines and whatnot.

The second time through, though... It blew my mind. There are some truly amazing passages in there - the lengthy passage comparing the two parallel tunnels where Germany was building rockets to the double integral sign to the SS logo to two lovers lying next to each other, Tchitcherine and Slothrop finally meeting, unaware, in the Zone, one bumming a cigarette off the other before they go their separate ways, Slothrop finding Bianca's body and the narration shifting from third to second person, Narrish's final stand described as an equation approaching its limit... There's some pretty staggeringly powerful writing in there. Even the Proverbs for Paranoids are just a cool as hell touch.

MickD7

Reaction score
I’ve been on a fairly long book binge to avoid both Social Media and the lure of video games and binge watching Netflix.

It’s a pretty extensive list but needless to say I feel much better for reading then doing the alternative. I got put onto a few of these by friends, family and some podcasts.

War.
Chickenhawk
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers
Ordinary Men- Jesus this book is jaw dropping
The Gulag Archipelago- Intially recommended by a friend about a month or so ago that loaned it to me. Horrific book that takes you to a bit of time to read.

Fiction. Some I’ve read before and revisit some are new and very enjoyable

Fight Club
American Psycho
In the Heart of the Sea
Moby Dick
One flew over the cuckoos nest
Animal Farm
Brave New World
Children of Men
Of Mice and men
Catcher in the rye

Ernest Hemingway- this is the first time I’ve ever read Hemingway and I feel I have done myself a huge disservice in not doing so before. I think the old man and the sea has become one of my favourite books ever.
A farewell to arms
The old man and the sea

Sigmund Freud and Jung

Course work books. I’ve been digging deeply into these lately preparing for Feb
Crtical Thinking In Psychology- this might be my favourite book. The study and application of critical thinking. Absolutely brilliant
Basic Personal Counseling
An introduction to the history of psychology

The Revenant- wasn’t sure what to place this under but it’s an excellent read. A great way to immerse yourself in the story that’s very engaging with its characters. Different from the movie but still great

Jocko Willink
Discipline Equals Freedom- A friend of mine got this for me to help me curb a lot of my ADHD related stuff and it’s really helped improve my focus and attitude, probably plays a big part in avoiding social media now as well. It essentially screams instructions at you to be a better person by exercising your discipline. It actually complements the next book really well, as you get some of the things in both of them drilled in by two completely different people.

Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules For Life.

Now I know some are for and some are against with this guy. What I will say is that I went through some pretty brutal shit in my life over the last 4 years. I lost people in some horrible ways, my wife and I have spent most of the year fighting to keep our mental health together, food on he table and much more because of that stuff. I was diagnosed with Bipolar I and ADHD this year and placed on some pretty heavy medications and one event which was so damn heart breaking and traumatic had me stood at the sink unpacking pills by the handful and throwing them down the sink. I had given up on getting ontop of my Mental health.

I stuck it out on the meds and spoke with a close friend who has been going down the same road. Same guy who recommended some of these books on this list end he nudged me in the direction of this book.

Again say what you want and I’m not selling this book or forcing it on anyone. But it helped me get my act together so much it wasn’t even funny.

I quit drinking, I quit smoking, I started running my business better, I formulated a better work ethic and structure, I’ve saved an absolutely absurd amount of money, learnt how to manage my time and put together my application for University and got accepted. I dropped from 120 kilos to 94 kilos. It helped me get my act together in preparation of being a dad next year, it made me set my goals and I got together the money to reward myself with an Ormsby Goliath.

Most important to me is I have a much better relationship with my family which means the world to me, as I’d done some pretty damaging stuff and got it back together and worked hard to earn that back.

I was tethered to a very dangerous path in life and making the choice to read this book added some pretty brutal truths to getting of that path and being on the right one.

Stephen Hawking A brief history of time and The Grand Design. After his death I decided it was time to reread these books. What a loss to science but given what he achieved in such a condition it’s pretty inspiring.

Grit and a True Girt. Jesus what a great read into the research, history and fact over “romance based fiction of Australia”. Odly enough it was my wife who put me onto these and she’s English

I tried some a Dawkins but I’m having a hard time getting into it, maybe I’ll return some time later.

I’m sure that I have more but I can really recall at the moment.

No real reason to pursue much fantasy stuff as I’m kind of just over it a bit. I’m open to suggestions though.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
First book I picked up in years just a few weeks ago is The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck - Mark Manson. I'm about 75% through and I really like that it's not one of those self-help books that talks down to you or reads like it's drinking it's own coolaid on every page. It's just a blunt straightforward honest read that's delivering a good message to me so far. Strongly recommend it :yesway:

On a side note: Not sure if this happened to you guys as well, but I noticed immediately that my attention span just absolutely went down the drain in recent years... had a good deal of trouble getting through a single page of reading without stopping at first but it's much better now. Clearly i've been spent way more time knee-deep in media reading quick articles and snippets rather than a full-on read of anything...

MickD7

Reaction score
^ yep that’s why I try my hardest to absolutely avoid those platforms. Books or Podcasts are the way to go

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I got a good chunk of the way through Infinite Jest. I like it so far, but I think I've been in the wrong headspace for it lately, so I've just not been going back to pick it up again. Progress on that one is slow. I ended up reading through Fabian Sanglard's Game Engine Black Book: Wolf 3D though, and plan on reading the Doom book that came after it. Gets kind of technical, but in a "isn't it interesting the kind of junk they had to deal with at the time" kind of way, rather than reading like a textbook or something.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Anything by Jeff Strand is great. Lite-ish horror with a lot of comedy typically.

Have been and always will be a huge Stephen King fan. My favorites are Pet Sematary and Bag of Bones.

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned Cormac McCarthy. His writing style is weird (very little punctuation), but The Road and No Country for Old Men are pretty easy to get into.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ernest Hemingway- this is the first time I’ve ever read Hemingway and I feel I have done myself a huge disservice in not doing so before. I think the old man and the sea has become one of my favourite books ever.
A farewell to arms
The old man and the sea
I LOVE Hemingway, but "The Old Man and the Sea" reads like a parody of Hemingway, probably because he was busy drinking himself to death on double frozen strawberry daquiris down in the Keys at the time he wrote it. "A Farewell to Arms" was good, as was "For Whom the Bell Tolls," but IMO "The Sun Also Rises," his first, was his best, by a long shot. His short fiction is great, too.

I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier and I'm too lazy to check, but while it's a little meta in the way it intentionally fucks with the conventions of the slave narrative, Charles Johnson's "Oxherding Tale" is awesome. Great narrative voice, and Horace Bannon the Soulcatcher is one of my favorite villains I've ever read.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
I LOVE Hemingway, but "The Old Man and the Sea" reads like a parody of Hemingway, probably because he was busy drinking himself to death on double frozen strawberry daquiris down in the Keys at the time he wrote it. "A Farewell to Arms" was good, as was "For Whom the Bell Tolls," but IMO "The Sun Also Rises," his first, was his best, by a long shot. His short fiction is great, too.

A Farewell to arms really captures the horror of war similar to "All Quiet on the Western Front" by Remarque which is the granddaddy of frontline horror, no wonder the Nazis freaked out and burned the copies of it. It showed the ugliest side of war imaginable. Definitely a great read that should be in any library. Other writers that I would recommend are Dostoyevsky, Kazantzakis, Wells , Tolstoy, Voltaire, Gunter Grass among many others who are considered big names of the past.
Present writers are hard to value due to the hype for each one by the publishing houses.

Latest posts