Born of Osiris MegaThread! - All things BoO

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I think this might be the first BOO song I don't like. I remember seeing them open for a tour with ATB and Emmure maybe five years ago, and I was literally shocked at how percussive and tight they were, even back then. They've been like a dietary staple to me, and I'm kinda worried that they may be moving in a direction that I won't dig.

Guess I'll find out when the album drops.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
1013685_598447680188735_1425588922_n.jpg

I meant that more in comparison of their previous efforts.. Like the song isn't awful by any means but after The Discovery / TNR / AHP this is just... not good.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I don't think people realize that BOO is less guitar oriented and more keyboard oriented and the only reason people bash on their open rhythms is because all you dudes wanna hear is more shred when they like to fill the shreddier space with keyboard leads. Notice that during the actual guitar leads in the new song, the keyboards almost completely back off. I personally think the new song is great and the rest of the album will be even better.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I don't think people realize that BOO is less guitar oriented and more keyboard oriented and the only reason people bash on their open rhythms is because all you dudes wanna hear is more shred when they like to fill the shreddier space with keyboard leads. Notice that during the actual guitar leads in the new song, the keyboards almost completely back off. I personally think the new song is great and the rest of the album will be even better.

Agreed on all counts. We all know there will be some wankery and rhythms with more than opens. But those open rhythms in strange patterns, along with the keyboards and occasional leads are what make BOO.

And by the way, the idea of drawing cards or rolling the dice for a rhythm is awesome, in my mind. I've used the dice app on my phone for a rhythm before; started out as opens, then started adding other notes, ended up being one of my favorite riffs I've made. The dice gave me an idea, I built off of it, and it was awesome. :fawk:

zuzek

Reaction score
Did not go through the trouble of deciphering the lyrics, but somehow I think the static chugging is some clever contraption that represents a machine (shock moment: the song's title!). I would almost hope so, because as a guitar player it's hard to take this song seriously after what BoO put out with The Discovery.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Those open rhythms in strange patterns, along with the keyboards and occasional leads are what make BOO.

It's hard to take this song seriously after what BoO put out with The Discovery.

Pretty much my thoughts. Don't love the new song, don't hate it either. I do like the aspect of it sounding like TNR a bit but with better production. However, I do hope the rest of the album is able to hold its own against The Discovery, because that album is just a monster IMO. :yesway:

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
eh. when they were first hyping the discovery i wasn't very impressed by follow the signs or recreate, but when the rest of the album came out it was a beast. i'm not worried at all, the rest of the album will probably be a whole lot more interesting than the first single.

anomynous

Reaction score
''my affiliation with Born of Osiris is ended. the truth is remarkably stupid and its revelation would have no purpose, because the shameless are known as such for a reason.

my years with the band has exposed me to many genuine and inspiring people around the planet. I look forward to crossing of paths to come'' - Lee Evans about 15min ago

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^That makes me really sad..

Funny why? It's a riff. If the same pattern had 1 or 2 extra notes that makes it a riff? No way, that's just ridiculous. I like the term "percussion enhancer" or whatever, because it definitely does that. But it's a riff, sorry. To say something isn't a riff because it's a pattern with all opens, in my opinion, is no different than when old people say something "isn't music".

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't there a bunch of 000-0-0000-00 patterns on The Discovery (and all of their other albums :lol:)? How is this more interesting: ?
I feel like most of their songs are based on open string chugging with awesome keyboards parts :metal:

Exactly :yesway:

zuzek

Reaction score
Wasn't there a bunch of 000-0-0000-00 patterns on The Discovery (and all of their other albums :lol:)? How is this more interesting (herpdaderp insert fictitious 'Follow the Signs' youtube vid)

Sure there were. To me 'Follow the Signs' is a snoozefest until 1:53. Note that there's where the song completely shifts gear and abolishes exactly that monotone low string chugging. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way about the song. That moment never comes in Machine. The lead melodies and keys are sweet (except in my opinion the tasteless sweeping), but for the rest the song is essentially 0:00 - 1:53 of 'Follow the Signs' perpetuated.

That said I don't really give a damn what they put out, as long as it has songs like 'A Solution' and 'The Omniscient' on it. In my opinion by far their best work.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Where did I contradict myself?

Read what I wrote, read what you wrote. Listen to the new song and then the song you mentioned taking into account what you've wrote. I don't think I can make it much clearer.

I wonder who will be their new touring guitarist now.

Lee McKinney (guitars) states: "We couldn't be more excited to not only have a new record coming out this summer, but to have a new single available in time for the start of Mayhem Fest! 'M∆CHINE' to me is just a straight up in your face BORN OF OSIRIS song. It's got an epic intro, intense orchestral content, heavy keyboard breakdowns, a great structure, impactful vocals and of course some gnarly guitar shred. It definitely hits hard from beginning to end. We can't wait to head out and play it live all summer long."

The stem files can be downloaded at this link.
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/cb51e4d7fab9ade5673048ecc2e4f68020130625193232/cae2de

Reaction score
Hang on, they lost ANOTHER guitarist? o_O

Yep.

Lee Evans was filling in again. (He worked with the band in 2008-2009, and now his few months from the time Jason left up until now).

I really hope The Diminished is going to be a good album...but I just don't know about these guys anymore... Regardless of how big of an ass they make themselves out to be, and regardless of how many musicians they lose, I will still buy their music and support them FOR THE MUSICAL ENDEAVORS, even if I don't support their lifestyle and who they are.

#touringlifeistoughkids

Reaction score
Read what I wrote, read what you wrote. Listen to the new song and then the song you mentioned taking into account what you've wrote. I don't think I can make it much clearer.

I wonder who will be their new touring guitarist now.

The stem files can be downloaded at this link.
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/cb51e4d7fab9ade5673048ecc2e4f68020130625193232/cae2de

1.) During the A Higher Place era, didn't they solely have Lee McKinney for awhile until Lee Evans stepped up to help them tour?...

2.) Wait....what are the stems for?....

')