Born of Osiris MegaThread! - All things BoO

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
^This makes me not worry about production now.
St. Anger can never be matched so it's no point in
trying to compare albums. If only every snare was
so... beautiful.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elnyrb10

fly you fools
Reaction score
im so lost. orginally the album was coming out mid march but on their myspace it says both february 22nd and then february 25th on itunes?

Reaction score
Just listened to the single, thought I'd heard it but hadn't before. What's everyone chatting about bad production? :lol: Sounds fucking phat. I think people are getting prefences mixed up with what is really bad. St. Anger is bad. This isn't bad.

Musically, it sounds like the album is going to be awesome. I really like the music... but mix-wise, I think it doesn't sound up to par with The New Reign or A Higher Place, and neither of those albums were particularly good sounding... :( If BOO had followed through with recording with Joey Sturgis like originally planned, it'd be a much different story. I'd much rather BOO come out with a great sounding album than boring as hell Emmure.

I'm kinda interested in whether or not the drums were programmed for this. They sound programmed to me. I think the whole "We're recording guitar DIs and tracking real drums to have tons of options..." thing was just for show for the studio update videos... because:

1. The drummer hit the cymbals really softly in the video... didn't sound like those drum tracks would be usable...
2. They had MIDI drums fully done when recording.
3. If Suecof mixed this and he had DIs available, the guitar tone would not sound anything like this. It sounds like Axe-FX with a strong noise gate and tons of editing.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
The Bulb version of Follow the Signs was so much better. Can't really knock the new version too much, because it's essentially the same song, but the vocals sound... almost like the vocalist had lost his voice since the last recording.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they actually left the awesome vocal track done by Joe in the album? Here's the part (starts at about 1:33):

If would be the most fuck-awesome thing done in deathcore ever.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
this is classic "read book before seeing movie" stuff here.

people like me (no preconception of the songs from misha versions) are for the most part scratching our heads it seems. there's no way of grasping what it's like to only hear these versions if you've already heard the misha tracks. you can argue all you want "regardless of misha's mix" but there's really no way of telling how you'd feel about them if you heard this new single FIRST, and THEN the misha version of it. you could say you'd still not like the new versions but there's no way of knowing. (a good example is all the hate ATB's re-album got from those that heard it the first time with a different singer and with different guitars)

i think the single sounds great. love the guitar tone and the arpeggios(?) at the end are crisp and clear. they tune lower now and that's cool, but other than the slight feeling that there is some layering missing, i don't really have any problems with the way it sounds now. the vocals sound different, but after listening to new reign again it sounds more like they are going back to the old growl style- which is fine.

as far as the bass being lost, i'm hearing way more bass in this than their last album. i actually can't remember hearing the bass player at all last album. yes, there are a lot of clicks and slap sounds that cut through the mix but it's nowhere near korn levels, thankfully.

i really want to get my hands on the full album and see what all i think about the writing in general. of the songs i've heard so far, via the single and live videos, it's still shaping up to be my album of the year. hopefully after it's out i can find a way of listening to those misha versions to compare. don't know what else to say.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
mix sounds awesome to me. crushing guitar tone, very tight. good drum mix I prefer more of the room sound in there too personally but this still works. really like the tune despite the dream theater-ish stuff that crops up every now and then.

really glad they didn't go with a bulb mix. really been hatin the stuff he's been doing lately.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
Wasn't arguing in the first place.

And it doesn't matter how I'd feel if I heard the recordings in reverse order because I don't have the time to go back in time and create parallel universes based on which Born of Osiris song I heard first.

missed my point and thought i was singling someone out? :scratch:

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
I was kidding, but it seemed like you were. Don't matter. :yesway:

i guess i just wish i could do the switcheroo and see how it would seem if i had listened to misha versions first. maybe i feel like the new tracks are getting unwarranted hate. *shrug*

i would just say that let's only talk about the material itself, but mix IS an important aspect (especially in metal, IMO) and everyone is saying that the tracks were actually laid out different in the misha versions. (different riff orders)

are those versions pulled? i could get an itunes-using friend to buy them if they're still up.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
From Lee's Facebook:

Ok if you are my friend and I see you posting leaks of old versions of our new songs (recreate, intelligent design) I'm deleting you. I don't know why you think you are doing a band any good by posting things you shouldn't have in the first place. If you consider yourself a fan or supporter of this band you will stop doing this shit.

You heard it. :agreed:

')