Born of Osiris MegaThread! - All things BoO

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score
The only song I remotely found to sound like The Discovery was Illusionist. And it's only a few little things that make it that way for me personally. That said...I like that song....that song only.

I still want to see them live and would support them that way, but they never come to Vancouver so :fawk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Everything on this album serves only to create an atmosphere - the heavily rhythmic guitar work, the layered vocals, the non-obtrusive drums, the over the top synths, etc. - and I think it's succeeded in spectacular fashion.

So, I have had a complete change of heart about this album. As I have said since the first single came out, I thought it was bland, boring and simplistic. I was bummed since I was expecting the next evolution from Discovery. However, after listening to this on my way to work this last week I have found that it is a very fun album. The synths absolutely create the layers changes that propel the song forward. I love it for what it is. It isn't Discovery 2. It is almost a party metal album that is light and fun. Something I didn't even know that I wanted.

The most interesting thing to me is the bit about Cameron writing all the songs that are more diverse riff wise. I wonder what the dynamic was when choosing songs within the band or what their thoughts are about the more simplistic vs the more steamlined.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
Relevant time to post what Mr McKinney posted on Facebook a little while ago.

Me too. Pretty sure this is my first order from them. Honestly don't remember if I pre-ordered P2 or not. Either way, they haven't failed to live up to all the complaints! Bastards.

i'd say to Lee: way to blame the fans. often times i can't find a negative thread here all day, while other days it's the complete opposite. learn to take criticism better. as (i believe it was) Bill Maher said recently- when you post something online, wait a while before reading the comments. most of the shitstorm crazies vent in the beginning, and then the more thought-out comments come after that. that's when you can get a more realistic idea of what the reception was for what you posted/did/said. if people are still giving the album a thumbs down in a few weeks then i'd start reading instead of rolling your eyes.

so when you get criticism, it's best to just read it and think about it, but stay silent. when you get praise feel free to talk about it, and it's up to you if you'll analyze what people have to say about it. but don't act like when there's criticism then the listeners are dumb, but when they love it OH THEN they're AWESOME...

:2c:

edit: to be clear, as an artist you can do whatever you want, but if you start complaining about people's reactions then you're just making yourself look bad, and only further damage the rep you might have built in the eyes of those fans. it's like even when someone posts those cryptic messages on facebook "im just going to ignore all the haters!" and that sort of thing, they are ALREADY reacting to aforementioned hate. just don't react at all. make it seem like it had no affect on you. that's how you maintain respect in the eyes of both the fans AND the critics.

/3cents

zuzek

Reaction score
so when you get criticism, it's best to just read it and think about it, but stay silent. when you get praise feel free to talk about it, and it's up to you if you'll analyze what people have to say about it. but don't act like when there's criticism then the listeners are dumb, but when they love it OH THEN they're AWESOME...

This so so much. There's little more annoying than fans feeling they have to defend their favorite band because someone said they didn't feel or like the album in a Facebook comment. Some bands can't handle it and delete those comments, others respond and often lash back, be it veiled or directly. Music is emotion, so it's subjective. When you as an artist can't handle the fact that people don't or might not like your product, then you've chosen the wrong industry my friend. Barring trolls and obviously destructive and negative people aside, I really see zero issues with a fan saying he doesn't like the new music and why. Why would that make a fan no longer a fan? It's ridiculously ignorant reasoning that boggles my mind. So why the need to respond in Lee's fashion? To me this is the problem of the false sense of entitlement that artists and listeners both have bolstered in the internet era; it's not about having the rigid expectations that people usually refer to. That's just being woefully gullible. I haven't read how much of destructive negativity BoO has received on the album so Lee might have a point in part of his message, but it's also simply too obviously part being butthurt. I have to then ask, if you made the music with the only goal of making what you want.. why would anyone's opinion but your own matter enough to respond like this?

The same type of 'defense' has cropped up in this thread in multiple post and I'm not going to quote them all. Dudes and dudettes, some people really just don't dig the new music. That doesn't mean you have to put them in a little corner of 'negative hype' and 'being edgy' as if they are ushering some desperate cry for attention. Some people are just very disappointed (i.e. me). Some people are very happy. What else is new?

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
So, second listen in, I have a decent grasp of the album. I think the criticsm comes mainly from the fact that The Discovery was simply just too good. Because as I listen through this album, I notice there's nothing bad. It's all sick stuff, definitely worthy of the BOO name. It's just not as incredibly mind-blowing as The Discovery. And that's not something to blame the BOO dudes about, The Discovery is DEFINITELY a hard album to live up to and top. I feel like they tried their best and really pulled together some great material here. While I also agree that The Discovery is pretty much untouchable, this album is a step above most other bands these days.

Illusionist, Mindful, Exhilarate, Source Field, and Vengeance are my jams right now. The crazy shred in Illusionist is sick as anything and the salsa outro in Vengeance. Wow. Unexpected. But SO GOOD.

Hopefully my bud and I are roadtripping up to Chicago to see them with Periphery, Dead Letter Circus, and Twelve Foot Ninja in November and I can catch up with Lee and Ronnie and everyone again. Gonna be a sick show for sure!

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Add "Imaginary Condition" to that list and you have my absolute favorites.

I figured out the patterns in Vengeance, but I simply cannot (yet) play that cleanly. Or I'm doing it wrong. Really only started moving into leads last year, after 14 years of rhythm lol. For all I know they aren't sweeps at all. :lol:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Wait for it...

Take another look at yourself.

:rofl:

My bad I goof'd haha, either way my point still stands. The Discovery is in it's entirety more wholesome, interesting, and entertaining to listen to than TWDA. If you disagree and think this record is superior, then that's fine and it's your choice, doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense why you would think that.

Also, why not actually respond to what I said vs finding a place where I worded something improperly as if that even remotely discredits everything I said :rolleyes:

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
Also, why not actually respond to what I said vs finding a place where I worded something improperly as if that even remotely discredits everything I said :rolleyes:

I've already explained why I like the album, and there's really no other way to respond to what you said. I think TWDA is the logical next step from The Discovery, and I think it has an atmospheric quality that few other albums in metal match, plain and simple.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
K, at first i was disappointed...

but i find myself playing this album all the time. Sure everything sounds a bit cluttered, but it still gets me going.

Stangstag

Reaction score
My top songs off the album are Absolution, Imaginary Condition, Illusionist, and Source Field. All very good songs.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I've already explained why I like the album, and there's really no other way to respond to what you said. I think TWDA is the logical next step from The Discovery, and I think it has an atmospheric quality that few other albums in metal match, plain and simple.

:shrug: That's fine, we'll just agree to disagree. Better than butting heads since we're on opposite ends of the spectrum obviously.

Recorded a video of Illusionist, thanks Lorcan for the tab!

Also, now that the disappointment has subsided, I feel like I can enjoy the album more than I did the last few days. That could be due to forcefully listening constantly but whatever, it's not a bad album.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I figured out the patterns in Vengeance, but I simply cannot (yet) play that cleanly. Or I'm doing it wrong. Really only started moving into leads last year, after 14 years of rhythm lol. For all I know they aren't sweeps at all. :lol:

99% sure those leads are tapped. Will check later. Lee has really stepped up his playing on this record.

Recorded a video of Illusionist, thanks Lorcan for the tab!

Nice work dude!!!!

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^With as smooth as they sound, probably. Which would mean I need a whole new pattern too. Damn I hope someone just makes a tab. Been a long time since I've seen a tab.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I've never seen Born of osiris live, and I am curious about something. Does the keyboardist actually play all the synth stuff? It seems like most bands I see with a keyboardist, live when I look at them they aren't really doing shit, its just samples playing in the backing track, and it always makes me facepalm.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I've never seen Born of osiris live, and I am curious about something. Does the keyboardist actually play all the synth stuff? It seems like most bands I see with a keyboardist, live when I look at them they aren't really doing shit, its just samples playing in the backing track, and it always makes me facepalm.

I can't put a percentage on it, but I know he does play a good portion of it live. Like the bridge in "Abstract Art", for example.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

Well Joe has a ton of vocal parts thrown about songs, so some of the stuff is left to backing tracks when he leaves the keyboard to sing/headbang. But he does play a majority of the stuff, sick keyboard player too at that.

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
I think the keyboard parts are easily the highlight of this new album, so it would be disappointing if all he did was trigger some samples with his keyboard live.

')