Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
95_F4133_E-3_C80-4_CBA-_AEB0-54643_B117_CC5.jpg

I normally do ranty NGDs, cut right to the point here:
Does it chainsaw: YES
Is it the best HM2 clone: NO
Is it the best HM2 clone going new at MF for $50: YES

Versatile? Not really. But here’s the deal, TC wanted to dip their toe in the HM2 craze, but not really commit in line with some great boutique options (I’d love to buy my Throne Torcher back at some point). The name SUCKS, design is bleak (not in a good way). I’ll say this, I love TC pedals, have owned a handful, but my Ditto Looper and HOF mini have stuck around and will go nowhere. That said, my surprise at the size of this was massive, hence the pic in hand for reference.
All that said, they picked up a pointer: the pedal is all EQ knobs on 10, classic chainsaw. Gain on 0, pair it with your amp’s distortion for megagrind. Put it on 10, pretty good maxed out HM2. I go 0 and dick around with the blue and red channels on my 5153.
The boutique options get nice and articulate. This does not. It’s a bulldozer. But sometimes a bulldozer is the tool you’re looking for. So a $50 one that works pretty convincingly? I’ll buy that for a dollar (x fifty)!

I need to post up clips, but think “room feel” will be more accurate than VST. Just need to figure that out and will do.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
By Lasse and Svend. I am in tears. Glad to hear you found a decent temp for the TT situation!

Bearitone

Reaction score
Please check this ^^^ and let us know!!!

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool, didn't know these existed. Was sort of interested in the Walrus Red, but this is a much cheaper option to get back into the grind of the chainsaw.

Werecow

Reaction score
Is it the best HM2 clone: NO

What is the best HM2 clone in your opinion? I love the sound of my Behringer HM300 but the input jacks suck on it, it hums like a bastard with all but the best power supplies, and they tend to just completely break randomly. I'm on to my third one now, and want something better made that sounds pretty much exactly the same.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
Dunno if you've tried the Behringer clone, but if you have, how do they compare vs the TC?

Bearitone

Reaction score
What is the best HM2 clone in your opinion? I love the sound of my Behringer HM300 but the input jacks suck on it, it hums like a bastard with all but the best power supplies, and they tend to just completely break randomly. I'm on to my third one now, and want something better made that sounds pretty much exactly the same.

I love my HM 300 too. Still going strong but, I agree. It feels like a mcdonalds toy in your hand and it hums real bad.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I’ve been curious about these. I’m starting an HM-2 collection, and wondered if this would be worth throwing in the pile

0rimus

Reaction score
Makes me wanna do a shootout between this and the Nine of Swords Funeral Party I already own.

Both are 2 knob HM inspired jobbies.

Initial impression is that the Funeral Party is much darker, but, who knows

feraledge

Reaction score
Pretty cool, didn't know these existed. Was sort of interested in the Walrus Red, but this is a much cheaper option to get back into the grind of the chainsaw.

Exactly. If this weren’t so cheap, I’d probably get pickier about it, but I’m amped on the package deal, short the name and looks.

this and 3rd dimension are very intriguing

I’d give it a shot.

I dig the Throne Torcher the most, but I haven’t tried many to be honest. This is a formidable pedal, don’t see it having resiliency issues.

Dunno if you've tried the Behringer clone, but if you have, how do they compare vs the TC?

Have not.

I love my HM 300 too. Still going strong but, I agree. It feels like a mcdonalds toy in your hand and it hums real bad.

This thing is a brick. I don’t see any of that being a problem here.

I’ve been curious about these. I’m starting an HM-2 collection, and wondered if this would be worth throwing in the pile

It’s $50, not a bad entry fee! Works for me.

Shask

Reaction score
I am wondering what you guys are hearing, lol! I have been playing with my HM300 the last few days, and I can never find a tone I would actually use. It always sounds like a buzzaw, garbled mess. I know that is kind of what they are suppose to sound like, lol, but I never even get close to their famous tones, like At the Gates, or Nails.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I am wondering what you guys are hearing, lol! I have been playing with my HM300 the last few days, and I can never find a tone I would actually use. It always sounds like a buzzaw, garbled mess. I know that is kind of what they are suppose to sound like, lol, but I never even get close to their famous tones, like At the Gates, or Nails.

Try drop tuning, setting as a boost into a high gain amp, and just playing bar chords. You get a huge, grinding, doom sound.

I never go for “Swedish” death metal tones when playing with the HM300

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
Try drop tuning, setting as a boost into a high gain amp, and just playing bar chords. You get a huge, grinding, doom sound.

I never go for “Swedish” death metal tones when playing with the HM300
I usually go for the same. "Swede-ish", not Swedish :lol:

feraledge

Reaction score
That pedal looks like a shitty 80’s video tape and I LOVE it. The name is so stupid too. Idk, I think it’s gnarly.
I've got a love for shitty 80s horror, so the red on black was really seeming like a cheap homage to a fake corporation from Robocop or something. I like that aspect of it theoretically, but could be a bit more over the top IMO. The box is almost more convincing than the pedal, even though it looks like a spooky version of an old, smuggled Sovtek pedal.
I'm pretty sure the name is a reference to the Entombed track on Wolverine Blues. Not sure if you guys caught that...
Never got into Wolverine Blues, but I figured this was the case, just too lazy to look! Haha. But kind of the vibe too, "we could nail this directly OR do just enough that people who know will know without having to compete in the mine field of HM2 clones." A tiny bit more R&D and this could've nabbed a title from more prime Entombed or Dismember track lists.

That said, I still think it's a badass pedal. Just a little boutique comparison shame. Haha!

')