Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I may grab one of these, but it'd be cool if they sold well enough for them to make a "deluxe" version with more tweakability, mainly a blend knob. I really want a Left Hand Wrath Deluxe for that reason, but just can't stomach the cost, and I bet TC could to it for half the price or less.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I may grab one of these, but it'd be cool if they sold well enough for them to make a "deluxe" version with more tweakability, mainly a blend knob. I really want a Left Hand Wrath Deluxe for that reason, but just can't stomach the cost, and I bet TC could to it for half the price or less.
Oh definitely. That would be fucking rad. I'd say it would probably be a nightmare for the boutique HM2 world, but honestly I doubt it would touch it. I think at this point everyone who loves the HM2 has the affliction to hoard them like they're never coming back again. So people should buy these up and encourage TC to unleash some Massive Killing Capacity in a deluxe version.

Shask

Reaction score
Try drop tuning, setting as a boost into a high gain amp, and just playing bar chords. You get a huge, grinding, doom sound.

I never go for “Swedish” death metal tones when playing with the HM300
Maybe. I am using it into my Triple Recto, with a guitar with a Duncan Custom tuned in E. I will have to try a different guitar. I also notice many guys who love them tend to use EMGs, so maybe the Custom is too bass heavy for it. I have tried as a boost, and stand alone with a Tubescreamer boosting it, which is better. I also notice many prefer it with a cheap solid state amp, so I will have to try it with my Katana also. Those videos on Youtube where HM-2 pedals just sound like a wall of noise, and you cant tell anything they are actually playing? That is pretty much what I get....

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
Might have to cop one sometime just to try something cheap. Also have an hm300 that sounds surprisingly good.
Nothing beats the Dunwich modded hm2 IMO, and avoid anything and everything Lone Wolf Audio. One of the most underwhelming of the clones while simultaneously being the most expensive available. The owner is a massive egomaniacal prick who threatens and harrasses any builder who makes an HM2 because for some reason he thinks he should be the only one "allowed" to make them. Hes threatened people with lawsuits who share the messy guts of his pedals and anyone who talks negatively about his stuff. Avoid at all costs.

Dunwich hm2, Dunn effects heirophant, kma audio wurm are all awesome options

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I have the hm300, and I think it sounds great. It’s brighter than my MIJ HM-2, but not in a super radical or unpleasing way. I rehoused it with no knobs (all set to 10 internally) and with some art on the box. There’s no way a snob wouldn’t see or hear this and rant on about it’s “boutique” sound quality, which is extra funny to me because HM-2s realistically sound terrible for anything other than pure anger.

In short, the hm300 is a totally acceptable alternative to the real deal as long as you’re not worried about the cheap plastic.

baqa2q9bzub01.jpg

wakjob

Reaction score
Damn... another HM-2 clone!
What's going on lately?

I like the concept of this T.C. pedal, and LOVE the looks.
But I never got a really good "chainsaw" sound out of my HM-2's with the theoretical everything on '10' method.

It's sounds and feels more like a gunky sputtering fuzz.

In fact, if anyone hasn't tried their HM-2 at 12 volts
really should.

Then... bi-amp !
Yep, I split my signal into a med-high gain tight amp like my Randall RD-1/4x12, with the other half of my signal going into the HM-2 @ 12vdc > Marshall 8100 Valvestate set to a dirty clean sound on the drive channel. Then balance the volumes to my tastes.

So I'm basically focused on playing the Randall,
and the "chainsaw" sound is just tagging along.

This is the closest to 'Clandestine' as I've gotten.

To my ears, the closest clone is the BYOC "Swede"
going just from YT vids.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got this. Wicked pedal, sounds knarly as fuck on a lead channel with just a tiny bit more gain. All the Swedes!

feraledge

Reaction score
FYI, I don’t think anything about HM2 talk is derailing a thread about HM2 clones and tones! Keep it going!

^^ that one switch HM300 is cool as shit.

KailM

Reaction score
Shoot, for $50, I'd really like to try one of these. I have a real MIT HM-2 that's in great shape, but I've always struggled to get a great sound out of it through my 6505s and 5153. I mean, I have gotten great sounds out of it, but it's such a finicky pedal that if you accidentally bump a knob it's off and no longer sounds great.

IMO the original HM-2 sounds best through a solid state amp's clean channel (and I no longer have any solid state amps), not a high gain tube amp. With my 6505s and 5153, I'm always battling too much gain, and then the pedal makes it an inarticulate wall of noise that has too mushy of a response to play anything technical. Some of the boutique pedals like the Wurm and Throne Torcher seem to address that, but damn, they're expensive. Maybe I'll give this TC a go...

feraledge

Reaction score
Goddamn, people talk way too much on youtube videos!

I keep thinking I should grab a Hotone Nano head and 1x12" with an ABY and mix. Then it's like, oh yeah, TT has a clean blend now.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Goddamn, people talk way too much on youtube videos!

I keep thinking I should grab a Hotone Nano head and 1x12" with an ABY and mix. Then it's like, oh yeah, TT has a clean blend now.

Longwinded video yes, but the part about the microphone was interesting

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Longwinded video yes, but the part about the microphone was interesting

I'm glad he gets to the tone first, because god sometimes he rambles on WAY too much.

But I'd love to check this out. Honestly, since these are just Behringer pedals with slight tweaks tonewise, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a HM300 without the EQ controls.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
:shrug:...I thought this was going to be about ACTUAL chainsaws...I was excited, too

feraledge

Reaction score
Did a quick video to give a feel for it. Recorded on a Iphone, just room sound.
ESP LTD H302 with Black Winter in the bridge tuned to Drop A. EVH 5153 50w with matching 2x12" cab, on the blue channel. TC Eyemaster is gain at zero and volume at 50%.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Welp, my collection grew one more, today:
Found this at GC today for a pretty good price. With the Presence knob dimed, it does the buzzsaw pretty well. Obviously derived from the HM-2. It's different, but equally cool in it's own right.

Not to detract from feraledge's NGD, but should we just make this an HM-2 thread?

')