Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Welp, my collection grew one more, today:
Found this at GC today for a pretty good price. With the Presence knob dimed, it does the buzzsaw pretty well. Obviously derived from the HM-2. It's different, but equally cool in it's own right.

Not to detract from feraledge's NGD, but should we just make this an HM-2 thread?

Damn!

My first dirt box was the FX56-B
'Super American Metal' pedal. :wub:

And that is an almost direct clone of the HM-2.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Just ordered one of these. The name is actually fitting since it’s made to get you that tone.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Figured it'd be easier to post this here instead of making a separate thread, so here's some clips of my hm300 into a dual recto profile. settings are pretty much variations of the pic below but with varying levels of distortion or my volume knob on the guitar rolled off.
28387334558_2b77b85b60_c.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tfzwttd0xreiccw/AABeb7VSuXVQkOxXqo-QLPXWa?dl=0

Last edited:

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Figured it'd be easier to post this here instead of making a separate thread, so here's some clips of my hm300 into a dual recto profile. settings are pretty much variations of the pic below but with varying levels of distortion or my volume knob on the guitar rolled off.
28387334558_2b77b85b60_c.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4g7ycdj9eakecn/rectohm300_drowned1.flac?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f41rfvb53ribon7/rectohm300_extra1.flac?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/km1q7yw61x6840h/rectohm300_savage1.flac?dl=0
It wouldn’t let me listen in Dropbox for some reason. But have you tried running it in the loop of the Kemper and setting a STOMP slot for it? I love my various chainsaw pedals run like that because it’s footswitchable, and you can blend it into the profile; instead of an all or none sound, it’s nice to blend in a taste of it while retaining a tight modern distortion overall.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
It wouldn’t let me listen in Dropbox for some reason. But have you tried running it in the loop of the Kemper and setting a STOMP slot for it? I love my various chainsaw pedals run like that because it’s footswitchable, and you can blend it into the profile; instead of an all or none sound, it’s nice to blend in a taste of it while retaining a tight modern distortion overall.
no I haven't tried that yet. I'll have to play around with that. anyways I changed the link, let me know if it works now.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Because I really needed another one...

Got a Lone Wolf Audio Left Hand Wrath. This thing is awesome. Gave it a quick spin, and the presence control really helps dial in that harsh high-end that can be an issue with some amps/cabs. The Modern mode, at least to my ears, is pretty subtle. Not really sure if I'll want to keep it on Vintage or Modern more often. Clipping diode options are nice, but I'm not really digging the no clip mode. I prefer the silicon to the germanium, as well.

Here's a family photo, the Throne Torcher because is the one that sits on my board, but the LHW may take it's place :deathm:

Last edited:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I really love the one with no knobs. It's just so tongue-in-cheek and fantastic. Kind of like the big crunch amp with the one knob.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Because I really needed another one...

Got a Lone Wolf Audio Left Hand Wrath. This thing is awesome. Gave it a quick spin, and the presence control really helps dial in that harsh high-end that can be an issue with some amps/cabs. The Modern mode, at least to my ears, is pretty subtle. Not really sure if I'll want to keep it on Vintage or Modern more often. Clipping diode options are nice, but I'm not really digging the no clip mode. I prefer the silicon to the germanium, as well.

Here's a family photo, the Throne Torcher because is the one that sits on my board, but the LHW may take it's place :deathm:
which would you say gives you the classic chainsaw sound, but has the most clarity for power chords? my hm300 is fine for single note stuff but has pretty shit clarity for chords.

Bearitone

Reaction score
which would you say gives you the classic chainsaw sound, but has the most clarity for power chords? my hm300 is fine for single note stuff but has pretty shit clarity for chords.
Watch demos of the Earthbound Audio Throat Locust.

Sounds pretty good on chords to me given that it’s an HM-2 with added clipping options, and EQ flexibility.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Watch demos of the Earthbound Audio Throat Locust.

Sounds pretty good on chords to me given that it’s an HM-2 with added clipping options, and EQ flexibility.
I've been looking into getting one of those or the throne torcher. I've been on a massive hm2 clone demo bender today :lol:

Bearitone

Reaction score
There’s also one by a pedal builder called Wren and Cuff that looks promising

KailM

Reaction score
nah, the wurm didn't impress me in any of the demos I've seen of it. The dunwich sounded good, but they're kind of hard to find..

You know, I'm not convinced the Wurm can't do the classic HM-2/Entombed-core thing -- despite how clueless the YT demo guys have been with it (the only demos I've heard of it are doom and stoner riffs.) I have a hunch you could play Left Hand Path riffs with it and it would smoke. But at almost $300, it's pretty expensive to find out.

I bought my HM-2 for around $75.:D

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
You know, I'm not convinced the Wurm can't do the classic HM-2/Entombed-core thing -- despite how clueless the YT demo guys have been with it (the only demos I've heard of it are doom and stoner riffs.) I have a hunch you could play Left Hand Path riffs with it and it would smoke. But at almost $300, it's pretty expensive to find out.

I bought my HM-2 for around $75.:D
the shootout i saw comparing the wurm, hm2, dunwich, left hand wrath, walrus red and some others made the wurm seem like one of the worst hm2 clones.
the walrus red intrigued me since it was the clearest and had the most low end.

Beheroth

Reaction score
The shootout vid didn't show how any of the pedals were set, they all have differents EQ points, clipping ...
I actually find the walrus red to be least HM2 sounding pedal out the bunch, it's too "dry ish".
I think the wurm is the most versatile out of all them EQ wise. There's internal dipswitches to set the EQ into the the classic "double spiked hi knob 2 band EQ" or 4 band EQ and trimpots to set the freq for each band.
Unfortunately none of the demos really dig into the EQ.
Also if you're in EU it's the best option price wise if you want a boutique clone.

')